1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Telewest, PVR150-MCE and Remote Controls = Confused!

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by Mac Sami, Oct 31, 2005.

1. Mac Sami

Mac Sami

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I've recently been upgrading a few clients PC's, so had a few components that I thought could be put to good use. So I bought a barebones media PC unit for around £65 (absolute bargain), and currently, my media PC consists of:
    * Asus T2-P Deluxe (onboard graphics, but has AGP slot - so may get a graphics card for better output).
    * 1GB DDR RAM
    * P4 2.4ghz (533mhz FSB)
    * 80gb HDD (because my fileserver will move recordings from my media PC overnight)
    * DVDRW
    * Windows Media Center 2005

I've been reading up about TV capture cards for a while now, and it seems the PVR150 MCE is the answer for me. I've got a Telewest set top box, so I'm not going down the Freeview route.

However, I'm confused about the remote control - which one do I need? I'm really confused as to what the remote control actually controls - does it control my Telewest box, Windows Media Center or the actual PVR150 card?

I also just read this thread regarding controlling the set top box using a Red-eye cable remote (http://www.redremote.co.uk/), which has just made me even more confused.

Help!

Mac

2. AV Junky

AV Junky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    MCE remote works in combination with a remote "commander" box that plugs into USB on the PC. This functions as both an IR receiver and also as a transmitter. The IR signals it sends out go through 'wands', which are stuck onto your source device (such as your Telewest box). If you choose, during set-up, to use an external set top box for your TV source, then MCE will send out remote signals to the STB telling it to change channels (in response to the channel selected on the MCE remote). Same thing happens when recording programmes from the STB.

One warning though - Cable boxes often use a non-standard IR frequency, which the MCE IR box may not support, without using an adaptor to 'translate'. This is what the Redeye device does.

3. Mac Sami

Mac Sami

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Okay, so I would essentially need:
    * A remote "commander" box that plugs into USB, which receives signals from a Media Center remote control. This box, in turn, sends out signals to my set top box, telling it to change channel etc.
    * A Redeye device to receive / translate the frequency from the commander box, so the set top box changes channel etc.

Is that correct?

Thanks,

Mac.

4. AV Junky

AV Junky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Exactly.

5. deksawyer

deksawyer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Just to stop any confusion - the so called 'commander' is supplied with the MCE 2005 remote, as is the IR blasters........

[​IMG]

D.

6. AV Junky

AV Junky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    True enough, but you can also buy just a remote by itself (for multiroom use, for example), so I wanted to make sure that it was completely clear.

7. Mac Sami

Mac Sami

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Hi guys,

Thanks for your help. Sorry if I've been a bit slow on this, but I want to make sure I get it spot on.

So if I get:
    1. Media Center Remote + Receiver - http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=143741
    2. Red-Eye Mark II - http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=264307

I'm all sorted for all things remote control based?

Obviously, if you know of anywhere to get the above items cheaper, I'd appriciate knowing more!

Thanks again for your help,

Mac.

8. deksawyer

deksawyer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
  9. jaymz

jaymz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Sorry to jump on this thread but i am considering converting my current PC (P4 3GHz HT and 3GB RAM) to MCE05 but i obviously need a remote.

As i have a Harmony 655 (bargain £30 in Dixons clearance at the mo) can you buy the IR reciever/tranmitter on its own without having to get another remote?

10. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    While you can buy a remote without a receiver AFAIK you can't buy a receiver without a remote. OTOH the whole MCE remote package costs less than 25 pounds.

11. Mac Sami

Mac Sami

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Just a quick follow up to let you guys know everything went well - I ordered the parts off Scan before Xmas, and fitted them today.

Turns out I didn't need the RedEye, as things work fine without it (on a Pace 4000 STB, installed September 2004).

A couple of minor teething problems, but slowly ironing them out...!

Thanks again for your help,

Mac.