Telewest PVR, & Sky / Sky+

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by Adrian Hughes, Oct 27, 2005.

1. Adrian Hughes

Adrian Hughes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Im currently racking my brain over the which to get.
    We have a Panasonic 32" HD ready LCD for mainly Xbox360 and in months/years to come HD TV. We want to get a good mix of TV programs but not worried about sports ( i go to all villa games ! and pub to watch others) and movies as we buy a lot of DVDs and cinema a lot, so a standard mix of bravo/sky1/ E4 etc is all that is needed.

Telewest have Teleport coming to the area in Nov 11th, and it looks promising and they also have there PVR (i think thats whats its called !) recordable set-top box coming out Dec onwards, and its HD ready also.

can anyone advise on the following =

1) will it be worth getting telewest, and keeping VHS recorder until PVR comes out? and stick with there £15.50 TV package which suites us?

2) go with Sky and get a DVD recorder

3) Sky + and enjoy all there is, but then a lot of cost eg, £21 + £10 or a movie package which we will watch maybe 1 movie a month on. And then when Sky HD comes out - pay a massive premium for upgrade from SKY+?.

What would you guys advise.

Thanks in advance.

Adrian Hughes.

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    A few basics:)

Both TW and SKY have single tuner STB's which means you can only watch one digital channel at a time, so you then have to decide if you are going to keep analogue as a second source or spend more on a second digital source.
    You can record SKY on a VCR and you can record TW on DVDR, again you will still only have one digital source so again you will have to rely on the analogue broadcasts or add another digital feed (SKY, TW or Freeview).

The TW DVR may come out at the end of December but at this time no prices have been announced and I would be surprised if it doesn't carry a premium subscription (just as SKY+ does). The hardware is simply too expensive compared to the standard TW STB for them to loan it free of charge and at this time TW have said nothing about the launch date or specs of a HD service.
    SKY+ is "cheap" right now especially if you are a new customer but there is no doubt the TW DVR is a higher spec but the SKY+ has been on the market for over 4 years and the TW DVR is still unreleased, we'll have a better idea which is the better option once TW are in circulation and prices are announced.

SKY+ HD will be expensive and likely to have an ongoing sub for the HD content but then again if you do not like sports and only watch the odd movie then HD I expect from any broadcast source may simply be too expensive until the maket matures a year or so later and prices come down.
    Perhaps waiting for pre-recorded media (retail/rental) may be the better option for your HD viewing and rely on the basic hardware from SKY or TW for day to day viewing.

3. Adrian Hughes

Adrian Hughes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Yeah,

Sky+ does have it plus points, but Telewest is better costing, i guess you get what you pay for !.

I would like more feed back from the teleport fans/users out there first i guess, as i do think if Telewest can pull it off, it will be a great feature.

Ade

4. Syphon

Syphon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I had a phone call from Telewest last week and I asked them about the PVR. The guy said it should be out in December - will have 3 digital tuners - larger hdisk capacity than the sky + box and you won't have to pay for the hardware - it should be about £10 on top of a current subscription.

Don't know how much of what he said was true - but he sounded very confident about it.

5. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    That's good new for TW users although you would think they would waive the extra sub if you were on certain packages (as SKY do) and only charge extra for any HD content which may eventually be offered.

Good news for SKY subscribers as well IF the TW DVR is a success, any pressure on SKY will surely benefit their customers in the long run.

Still think it's a mistake for TW to go down the mpeg2 route and for the combined NTL/TW service to being using two different DVR's and broadcast codecs for HD.