telewest or sky?

steve1

Prominent Member
Reaction score
hi can any one advise me please if sky digital is a better picture quality than telewest digital i run telewest digital at the moment and am not happy with the picture at all some channels are better than others my tv is a tosh 36zp18 is it because my tv is 100 htz im really not happy with the picture quality of telewest so wondering if sky tv is a better quality picture and if its worth swapping

telewest digital's picture quality can be awful.. really bad digital artifacts on some channels... terrestrial, even Sky Sports, due to the amount of compression used.

I've got Sky.. no problems at all.. very good picture.
my dad has Telewest and I can really see the difference, a lot of channels get very pixelated regularly.

when watching a recent Liverpool match, I gave up on telewest,
and switched to analog since the picture was much much better.

all the liverpool players had a little digital "halo" following them around.., they would've looked better on top of a christmas tree.
(they were playing like fairies, but thats a different matter entirely!)

Telewest's pic is like that of NTLs... poor to appalling at the best of times.

If you want digital TV and have any interest in the AV side of it, Sky is your only choice.

not that its much help to you, since NTL & Telewest always do different areas...
I also have NTL digital purely for broadband.. it seems slightly better than Telewest picture-wise, but still not a patch on SkyD.

thx every 1 i think i may switch to sky then heard they got a special installtion deal on £1 telewest pic quality is so poor dont know really why i have put up with it so long

Don't know if it helps (and I guess saving 99p isn't really a big deal) but my local Dixons is offering Sky Digital and installation for 1p, with a small tie-in on certain Sky packages. May be worth checking to see if your local store has the same offer.

I think Sky also have better customer service than many cable TV companies. I use NTL for broadband and phone but their attitude towards customers is lamentable (and that's only when you can even get through to speak to them).

Although Sky isn't perfect, at least they appreciate that some of their viewers will be running their picture through decent kit and make some effort with their sound and vision. NTL and Telewest's TV service is for people that think listening to the radio on a mono set is acceptable.

My NTL digital is good anough in my opinion and at the end of the day, it's only tv. I'm more bothered about my dvd picture quality. That said, sky does seem to run smoother and have a lot more features, we still can't get the audio stuff in our region after a whole year+ of digital.

Zoolap: yes, you are right, it is only TV. I too am more concerned with my DVD P/SQ.

That said, if I'm paying someone £36 a month, I want to make sure the Digital TV service is as good as possible and in the right weather, at the right time and on the right TV station, you would be surprised just how good Sky can be.

I've got to say that my Telewest picture is fine, I cant fault it all all, and its cheaper than Sky :D My brother has Sky and commented on how much better my picture looked. But with Telewest you do miss out on a lot of channels available on Sky and you have less features.

Also have broadband service with them and that too is consistently good.

The quality of cable services does seem to vary from place to place so if you happen to be in a 'bad area' I guess Sky is your best option.

You might want to take a look at this:
Digital spy

I have Telewest digital too and agree with tomson. I live in a poor reception area for terrestrial and considered both sky and cable. Cable came out as the cheapest option which I think is £18 for the basic package plus phone and that is all I want as I don't watch that much tele.

Sky is better value if you want the whole lot like movies and sports. I once had sky movie channel for a month for £10 on cable as they show the same movies over and over again and thought that was worth the money doing that. This was before DVD !

I must say their front row is absolutely crap. £3.50 a movie thats not even in widescreen with huge dynamic sound compression. They're so not with it.

It sounds to me that they should be boosting your signal. When I had broadband put in by them they ran a cable split off of the coax from the set top box. I was told that I might experience blocking and they would have to boost the signal outside but I never suffered any probs.

Don't know wether you have or not but if you're paying for a service and are not getting value for money then you ought to complain first. After all you my well need the signal boosted which they should do immediately and if they don't, then well, take your custom elsewhere.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom