Telewest into diff rooms with remote control, is it possible ?

Taz69

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

My brother has decided he would like TV in all the bedrooms along with the ability to change over channels on Telewest in at least 1 bedroom, is this possible ? if so, what kit am I going to need please.

This is the kit he has.

Terrestial Aerial in Loft
Telewest Digital in the Lounge alongside 28" TV.
He would like to be able to view TV channels in 4 bedrooms and the kitchen and if possible be able to change over the telewest channels in 1 of the bedrooms at least, I am installing Cat5e cable throughout the house for internet access, gaming etc.

Thanks for looking and in advance for any advice

Taz69

anyone, what else do you guys use even for just tv into different rooms, using real cable.

Taz

Hi Taz,
Here comes a long rambling post about how I did it but it may help. I've got an aerial and Telewest cable and require the ability to watch terrestrial and cable in different rooms (girlfriend likes soaps (ITV/BBC), I like the Simpsons (Sky One). Also want to tape from cable and terrestial TV.

Setup as follows (see link for the bits I'm talking about).

1. Telewest TV scart to main TV in living room.

2. Telewest RF out and Aerial connection to an Aerial Link (MX LINK1).This combines the cable and terrestial signals onto the one line. They don't interfere as the Telewest RF is on channel 52.

3. Aerial Link straight into Booster Amp (MX Linkamp). Clevel design, no cable required. You need an amp downstream of the Telewest box as the RF out signal is weak.

4. Low Gain out on booster amp to Video Recorder.

5. High Gain out on to the next room (boxroom) using standard co-ax cable.

6. Boxroom. Link Adaptor (MX TVLINK2). One output to TV here, other keeps going to next room (Kitchen)

7. Kitchen. Attach cable to TV. You can keep going with more Link Boxes or you could branch in any room using a Link 3, Link 4 etc.

Now all TVs can be tuned to Terrestial (1 -> 4) ans tuned to cable on Channel 52. I change Telewest channel from the Kitchen to the Telewest box in the living room using a Digieye (http://www.digisender.net/_Europes_No1_Video_Sender_Company.html) that I picked up second hand on EBay. This is one of the few infra red extender systems that works with Pace boxes (IrDA standard).

I got the aerial booster gear on-line from TLC direct. Here is the link.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Aerials_Index/Amplifiers-Boosters/index.html

Cheers
Bounce

Cheers for that Bounce, do I need a aerial distribution box, like 4 way or 8 way to stick in the lof, or is it a case of going from the lounge(telewest) to the kitchen, bedroom 1, 2 and 3 then to the loft bedroom.

Cheers
Taz69

get a distribution AMP Channel plus make kit that will do allow this but not certain about IrDA (have used with Pace 4000 serries IR boxes) kit invludes remote eyes for TV's Ditribution AMP and Modulator/Multiplxer use with learning remotes (may need a red eye from www.redremote.co.uk) for control of Cable/DVD/VCR etc in all rooms
see: http://www.channelplus.com/product_detail.php?productId=113

This is a simialr setup to bouce.

I did this with an NTL cable setup using wireless AV sender/receivers - in my case from All for One. I use a SCART out form the NTL box to the AV sender and then receiver in each room. An IR signal can also be sent back to the main box from each room with a receiver.

This works very well and the picture quality is far superior to my split coax, which I also installed for the standard RF channels (although I have split the signal 4 ways and do not use any kind of amp).

The main problem is that the NTL box itself is crap and sometimes does allow you to input channel number even when you are right in front of it. As there is no on screen display it is a little tricky to know if the IT signal you are sending from then remote room is actually operating the box or not! On top of this, certain IR signals do not seem to pass very well through the wireless link (such as the simple channel up down) to the PACE box - as noted in bouces post. I have got round this problem by operating the EPG (which actually operates quite well) and switching channels that way.

Hi guys, I know the post is a little out of date, but I just got round to doing this for the brother, I have gone with what Bounce said to a point.

But I get interference on the Telewest Channel which seems to be on 54, when I use the Loft aerial I get a decent picture on 1,2,3,4 & 5 but interference on Telewest Ch54, AV is fine as its via Scart.

1. Telewest TV scart to main TV in living room.

2. Telewest RF out and Aerial connection to an Aerial Link (MX LINK1).This combines the cable and terrestial signals onto the one line. They don't interfere as the Telewest RF is on channel 52.

3. Aerial Link straight into Booster Amp (MX Linkamp). Clevel design, no cable required. You need an amp downstream of the Telewest box as the RF out signal is weak.

4. Low Gain out on booster amp to Video Recorder. (Bounce is the output on the Side ?)

5. High Gain out on to the next room (boxroom) using standard co-ax cable.

I am going from this to a 8way splitter even though I havent got that far yet, this is on the main TV, as my brothers family would like to be able to watch 1,2,3, 4 & 5 if they are taping something on Telewest for the woman of the house,

Can I adjust the channel out on the back of the Telewest Digital box to try and eliminate the interference ? not sure if this is possible, to be honest I forgot to look on the back, lol

Also, as the Roof aerial is in a state of disrepair, lol, fell down, can anyone recommend a Good aerial without breaking the bank as the indoor aerial currently gives a pretty poor picture on C4.

Thanks in advance

Taz

Taz69 said:
Can I adjust the channel out on the back of the Telewest Digital box to try and eliminate the interference ? not sure if this is possible, to be honest I forgot to look on the back, lol
Taz

Hi Taz,
Glad you got it all working (or nearly :thumbsup:)

The kit is very neat isn't it? I like the way you can plug the ariel link straight into your amp. In answer to your question - I think the low gain output is the one at the side of the amp - I can't check at the moment as I'm at work.

I don't get any interference on my RF feed but then I've got an ancient ariel and can only get BBC1 -> C4 (no C5). Channel 5 might be causing your interference as it is higher up the broadcast range than the other channels and might be near channel 52/54 in your area. You can check your local channel numbers on the BBC website.

I know you can change the RF output frequency of the telewest boxes but I've never done it. Found this link using google that tells you how to do it.

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/kb/81/how-do-i-change-the-rf-channel-on-the-stb

Good Luck

Hi m8, typical aint it, I have the Di4000 box and Telewest have left me the wrong remote ie the old type from the early box, it doesnt have a services button on it, so I am stuffed, its sat on Ch54 which is the same as C4 in my area, so I call up Telewest support and their answer is " the digital service is working fine so that is out responiblity, we do not cater for TV around the house, lol, bloody idiots, I called Pace but they have been briefed not to allow customers to know how to get into the Service mode,

Can anyone help.

Cheers

Taz

could try a full reboot of the box......(perhaps better to borrow a remote from another telwest/ntl user) can call them up and say ypu get interference on all channels and when bloke comes out get him to reset RF frequency................

Taz69 said:
Hi m8, typical aint it, I have the Di4000 box and Telewest have left me the wrong remote ie the old type from the early box, it doesnt have a services button on it, so I am stuffed

Taz,
Will TW not supply the correct remote for your box? I've got (I think) a Pace 1000 box with the old black remote. When I installed the DigiEye to control the TW box from the kitchen, I wanted another TW remote. Got a brand new Silver TW remote (with Telewest written on it) really cheap on EBay. Might be worth a look if you know what remote you need for a 4000 Box.

Hi Bounce m8, I sorted it last night, used the engineers mode on the PAce from the front of the box, not the remote, thanks for your advice.

BTW when you say Magic Eye do you mean the Sky version, didnt realise this would work with TW, as it is a cheap option to get remote commands upto the bedroom hopefully, lol

Cheers
Taz

BTW m8, I have a bit of herringbone effect on C5 is there any way I can correct this ?
Ch 5 is on C37 TW is C24

Cheers

Taz

Taz69 said:
BTW m8, I have a bit of herringbone effect on C5 is there any way I can correct this ?
Ch 5 is on C37 TW is C24

Cheers

Taz
Not sure what the pattern is - do you still get it if you unplug the TW RF feed?

Interesting that you chose Ch24 for the TW output. You should (in theory) choose a high number as the Ariel link thingy has 2 definate inputs. Quote from spec on TLC for the 2 inputs.

GROUP A (CH 21 - 38 ) to Groups B/CD~IE ( CH 39 - 69 )

This would imply that your standard ariel should go in th Group A input and your TW box into the other input (with a high channel number). But if it works, it works.

My standard aerial channel numbers are all in the upper end, C54 onwards upto around c67, hence why I chose a low number for the TW, from what I have been reading C5 is showing herringbone effects due to being over amplified, I need to find an Adjustable attenuater to lower the signal.

Never Rains but it pours, lol

Taz

sorry should have put that CH5 is on C37 so that may be why I am getting intereference, I may alter the RF out of the TW again to something in the 40s see if that cures it first.

Taz

Sorry for dragging up and old thread but I need some advice.

I've had the distributed Telewest thing working fine using the idea of combining the TW RF output with the aerial input and boosting the 2 signals but I've now got a problem. Happened after the TW guys moved my cable TV point to a different part of the room but this shouldn't matter.

I'm in Edinburgh and my BBC1->C4 signals are in the 20's range of the channel range so I left my TW box outputting on Ch 52 as there should be no conflict. Recently BBC1 and BBC2 on the aerial feed have become unwatchable due to interference. It looks like some sort of cross-channel interference as I can see ghosts of a different channel (I think C5) on the BBC2 picture.

Any ideas? Is it possible that my TW box has developed a fault with it's RF output and it is outputting a spurious channel in the 20's as well as the TW output on Ch52? Worth getting TW engineers out?

Any help with this would be appreciated as I'm really annoyed after getting it all set up so nicely. :lease:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom