Telewest equipment

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by falkirkjock, Sep 3, 2003.

1. falkirkjock

falkirkjock
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, I am having cable installed in a couple of weeks. Took long enough to convince the one who must be convinced! Anyway, I will be buying a HDD recorder and a video sender fairly soon, but I've heard that problems exist with Telewest receivers and these devices.

:confused:Can anyone advise on:

1. The type of Telewesr receiver I sould ask for (and if they will listen to that request!)
    2. A compatible HDD recorder
    3. A compatible Video sender

Thanks

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    You don't get a choice of STB, it will be a pace, probably a 4000. It offers 2 scarts, 1 RGB, can do RGB pass through. Yes the remote control is tricky, it uses irda frequencies, look at recent threads for stuff about videosenders, there are several on the go. HDD recorders, one that accepts RGB input would be ideal, that's most then surely these days?

3. Dak

Dak
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi
    Not sure how to link to previous threads but I have had some good answers to similar questions. The threads were titled:

"Telewest boxes, pronto, hard disk and sound options"

"Telewest boxes and sound output"

"Cable machines and sound quality"

The latter in particular was very helpful: On ordering I demanded the box that would work with TiVo. I insisted that the order papers show this and when they turned up with the wrong pace box I contacted them and they apologised and came round with the 4000 model. They only did this because the order said that I had specified the 4000.

It works fine with TiVo. I bought the Redeye referred to in the above links and that works well.

The problem is that the 4000 does not have phono outs for audio. There are a couple of ways around this mentioned in the above threads but I have not got round to doing this yet as I have a Denon 3803 on order and hope to correct the problem by inserting a JS scart to component converter in between the cable box and the 3803 and then the 3803 will extract the sound.....

That should happen in the next few months so wish me luck!!
    Dak