Telewest - can I get a timer feature

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by Timber, Oct 20, 2004.

1. Timber

Timber
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi - new to AV and this foum. I have Telewest cable service and a new DVD with HHD which can record for hours! My problem is how to record programmes off DIFFERNT cable channels? My digibox does not appear to have any timer functionality

2. MJ Invincible

MJ Invincible

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Timber :) .

On ntl digital you can make the receiver automatically change channels by using the TV Guide to set 'reminders' for the programmes you want to record. Not sure about Telewest, but I would think they would have something similar.

3. Timber

Timber
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There is a reminders feature, though it only goes 24 hours or so forward - I'll give it a go!

4. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,343
    One of the reasons for getting my Tivo was the pityful TeleWest 24hour guide. The reminder feature should switch channels (as described above).

5. MJ Invincible

MJ Invincible

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's even worse than ntl digital!. With ntl you can set reminders for a whole 2 days in advance ;) . I bet your both jealous? :laugh: :laugh:

I have both sky digital and ntl digital, and sky is SO much better. I can't wait to get rid of ntl in the next few months.

6. Timber

Timber
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK I cant live with the 24 hour only timer. Do I have any other options? Do any of the freeview boxes take a cable feed and give access to Telewest services when I slip in my telewest credit card sized thingy?

7. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    Cable has very few options.
    Freeview PVR's/STB's are only for Freeview, they do not work with any other types of broadcast.
    Sky+ is only for Sky.

If you want to make reliable timed recordings from a cable STB then your only option is a TiVo. there are no dedicated cable PVR's and TiVo is the only PVR thatwill work with all the TV platforms available in the UK.

If you do decide to go the TiVo route then a good reliable supplier of TiVo is www.tivoland.com

Mark.