Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Telewest cable TV and HD

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by Turbocharged5, Jul 31, 2005.

1. Turbocharged5

Turbocharged5
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

Does anyone out there have any idea as to what Telewest's plans are with respect to HD broadcasting?

I know that they are working on a new PVR and I have read some where that they may be making this HD compatible?

Cheers,

2. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    Give it 12 months or so before wondering where it is. NTL user here, so I know the score on that front already. Ah well, there's always VOD to keep us going. Pfft!

3. marker

marker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh yee of little faith

4. Turbocharged5

Turbocharged5
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is there actually any point in buying a HD TV at the moment in the UK?

Afterall there is little to no HD content to watch :(

5. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +817
    On the other hand - with HD services and HD pre-recorded formats like HD-DVD and BluRay about to launch - would you want to buy an expensive new TV that is incompatible with these services, and lock yourself out of HD for the lifetime of your new TV.

I think that if you don't HAVE to buy a new TV, then hold fire until the HD view is clearer. If you are in the market for an inexpensive new TV then HD may not be an issue. However if you are buying an expensive new set - then to ignore HD would seem foolish... I'd expect any new TV I bought to last for at least 5 years - and whilst there are only Euro1080 HD services really available in Europe at the moment - you can guarantee there will be a lot more within the next 5 years.

Sky are shooting all of the next season's Premiership games in HD AIUI - and they will be broadcast in HD as soon as Sky HD launches. The BBC is shooting lots of drama, documentary and music stuff in HD as well, and is expected to launch some form of HD service in the next 12-24 months...

HD-DVD is expected to launch late this year or early next, and BluRay is expected next year.

6. zag2me

zag2me

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I heard from a technician that they are watching sky very closely on the hdtv front, and technically it is possible to deliver this content. He also mentioned about a new 8mbit broadband product, but 10mbit is a long way off apparently due to techincal difficulites.

This was just one guy, so dunno how much is true.

7. marker

marker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It is very easy for ntl: and Telewest to implement HDTV down their respective HFC networks, believe me!!! Just need a decent stb that will be stable and watch it roll out pretty quickly...

8. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    The biggest factor with cable is the cost of supplying the hardware, that more than anything else I expect has delayed a dedicated PVR which are abundant in the US.
    I believe SKY has a far easier time getting potential subscribers to cough up X amount up front and then ongoing costs than NTL or TW can ever hope to acheive which makes introducing things like SKY+ and the SKY+ HD easier.

Cable subscribers expect to get hardware on loan and fully covered so that leaves the multi-million pound investment in new hardware down to the provider at a time when they are not awash with spare cash (mind you far more stable then they were a couple of years ago).

Having said all that as marker says the distribution over the network is not a big issue and cable as seen in the US is more than a match for Dsat in bringing HD into the home all it takes is the investment and content.

9. Pecker

Pecker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Huddersfield, People's Republic of Yorkshire
    Ratings:
    +4,485
    But if they wanted they could charge extra every month for a HD cablebox.

Steve W

10. Fontie

Fontie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
  11. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975

Certainly the HD service would entail an additional fee for content unless they get very aggressive and bundle it with the existing subscription (give SKY the fright of their life :) ). However the cost of additional HD content is one thing the investment in buying X amount of HD boxes is another especially at a time when VOD is being rolled out and merger talks are ongoing.

It will be interesting to see SKY's first offering and how cable with a lower subscriber base who are more intune with "free" hardware and no experience of paying for something like SKY+ compare.

12. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975

Yep when it was first announced the spec was impressive, certainly a generation ahead of SKY+ even if you ignore the HD capability.
    Love the dual decoders and the external SATA interface:)

The issue for me is how the HD is handled. As far as I know US cable at this time is all mpegII and this box is certainly an off shoot of their product line so would TW have to broadcast in mpeg2 and therefore decoded and recompress SKY sourced material which would be broadcast in mpeg4 or will the box be delayed until a viable mpeg4 chipset can be incorporated?

This is assuming SKY make their HD movie/sport content available to TW.

Anyhow all said and done the more broadcasters and platforms get on board the HD wagon the better for the UK consumer regardless of who they pay for their HD viewing:)

13. sprattgraham

sprattgraham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I read here that NTL have tested HDTV on a ADSL2+ 18mb Line

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/article/ds20194.html

14. Turbocharged5

Turbocharged5
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd prefer to pay a one off, up front, upgrade charge to cover part of the cost of the new hardware.

It's easier to justify paying a lump sum for a piece of hardware, even if its on a long term lone basis than an extra £10 or £15 quid a month.

IMO.

15. Goooner

Goooner
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14,585
    Me too, don't hink Sky are going to see it like that though ;)

They're going to want to charge £300-£400 for the box and then an extra sub to use it like they did with Sky+, I still can 't see any other reason for charging the £10 for using Sky+ other than that they can.