Telewest and HDTV

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by zoidy, Apr 25, 2005.

1. zoidy

zoidy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Hi All,

I have not seen anywhere anything regarding cable companies in the UK and HDTV implementations. Everything seems to just be about Sky. So I thought I'd get in touch with Telewest to find out if they plan to go to HDTV sometime soon, here's their reply if anyone is interested:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Dear Mr England

Thank you for your e-mail dated 17 April 2005.

I refer to your query regarding high definition TV.

At this time we have no information, other than we are developing a system which will incorporate this technology. However we do not have a time scale for completion or release.

If you have further queries regarding this matter or any other issue, please use the link provided below:

http://www.telewest.co.uk/bothcontact.htm

Please note if you reply directly to this email your response will not be received.

Yours sincerely

Steve Leaning
    E-Contact Team
    Telewest Broadband

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

So it looks promising.

Cheers,
    Pete.

2. MPK

MPK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Well, they are bringing out a new set top box in September which will not only be a PVR like Sky+ (but with 3 tuners) but also has an HDMI connection and is HDTV ready. Sounds like a good first step, but I doubt we'll see any cable operator introducing HDTV before 2007.

3. davehk

davehk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I spoke to them today and they were not able to say if it had 5.1 DD output or not - in fact they tried to say it had 4.1! Also they said it would not be out till the end of the year

4. MPK

MPK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I'm sure it has a digital audio output. Go have a look at the manufacturer's site, it's basically a slightly modified Scientifc Atlanta 8300HD box. I'm surprised Telewest staff even knows what DD is :)

5. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    lol, some of them don't know their own name! I have worked for Telewest for 3 and a half years now so I should know. :rotfl:

I read some stuff at work the other day, and it mentioned HDTV on the new PVR box we are bringing out. From what I have heard, the PVR should be rolled out late this year and it should be quite good.

Not got much more info than that at this stage, sorry. I shall keep my ear to the ground though.

Rob