Telewest and DVD recorder

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by neilo, May 9, 2005.

1. neilo

neilo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Which will be the best DVD recorder preferably with HDD to use with Telewest cable ...i.e as it has no EPG can it change cable channels

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    Don't know if your aware or not but there is a Sky+ like PVR coming for Telewest users in a few months time: the Explorer 8300DVB will allow you to record upto 3 cable channels at once and full EPG recording. Something to consider anyway...

As for HDD/DVDRs the models to look at are Panasonic, Toshiba, Sony or Pioneer. Have a look at the 'Which DVD Recorder?' link in my signature - will help you decide which to go for. Of particular interest may be the Toshiba RDXS34 which has the ability to control your set-top box by using a magic eye type affair.

3. JethroUK

JethroUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use Philips HDRW720 HD/DVDR with NTL digital

+ It comes with I/R control (to switch channels on digibox)

+ It's the 'only' machine with free EPG (point n click programming)

http://www.europe.guideplus.com/

i would be inclined to hang on for the T/West, triple tuner Scientific Atlanta box - that's gotta be the box to end all

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    ...except the Pioneer DVDR920....except for the JVC DR-MH300....except for the JVC DR-MH600....except for the JVC DR-DX7 etc. Guideplus is on quite a few DVD recorders now - but that doesn't stop it being tied into the analogue broadcasts and having limited bandwidth.

A machine that costs about £100 more than the competition - and offers only half the performance. Have a look at this review - which is pretty telling. If you read the reviews of the Panasonic E95, JVC MH-20 and Pioneer 720 (all the same month WVWE - all available as online reviews) you will find they all nailed the Philips model for a whole host of reasons. A poor machine that is best avoided. Jethro still tries to flog them though...

5. musukebba

musukebba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Could you explain what is meant by "limited bandwidth" in this context?

Whatever you think of Philips, which of the plethora of other models in this list that you have provided has access to an EPG and can change the cable channels, as implied in the original query?

6. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    All of them! The Pioneer DVDR920 is available now. The JVC models are being rolled out from now. All have STB control.

Insufficient regularity of updates to be able to keep up with last minute programme changes. Which is why Panasonic and Sony - both major supporters of Guideplus in the US/Europe - have delayed it's implementation here. Sony in particular has highlighted the Freeview EPG as the only reliable UK EPG - not entirely sure I agree with that - but I can see their point.

Which brings me back nicely to the point I made in post #2 - if he wants effective EPG recording his best option, by far, is to wait for the launch of the Explorer. Anything else would be a second rate solution...

7. musukebba

musukebba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    It certainly seems worth the wait for that Telewest box.

Do not most EPGs update overnight? I can't see how they can get more frequent than that. Is it really what we would normally call a 'bandwidth' issue?

8. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    Alot do - but specifically many can respond to last minute changes (such as Panasonic's internet based EPG) or can be controlled by broadcasters sending out a signal to indicate a change of programme (Freeview).

Yes. It is called a bandwidth issue because that what it is - a lack of space to transmit sufficient data to make the EPG responsive to changes.

9. neilo

neilo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    cheers for the replies. :thumbsup: ..i guess i will wait...any clue as to prices ?

10. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    Telewest have announced yet - but I would be surprised if it was more than £300 - and so will be comparible in cost to a decent HDD/DVDR unit. It goes without saying that the ideal combination of machines will be a Explorer 8300DVB and a HDD/DVDR combi (most users here have Sky+ and a HDD/DVDR). So you could always pickup the DVDR now and then buy the Explorer when it becomes available. But if your on a limited budget go for the Explorer first and then add a HDD/DVDR when possible.

11. JethroUK

JethroUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    this is rascak being absurdly anti-philips - an EPG updating "only" once a day, can barely be described in the negative (just aside from being untrue), when compared to machines he recommends which don't have one at all and rely on manual input of data from a magazine which is over a week out of date

'context' is the key word here

if a Philips machine sowed button on a shirt he'd say no one wears shirts anymore

12. JethroUK

JethroUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you won't be buying it, you'll be renting it but it sounds well worth the wait

13. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    I suppose I'm being anti-JVC and anti-Pioneer then as well am I? Get a grip Jethro!

It is if you miss part of the programme you trying to record. It is considered a negative by numerous consumer electrics companies who have opted for the Freeview EPG instead. Sony is the most noteable example of this.

...er...or you use external link to benefit from the digibox EPG. Or you get a proper PVR in the form of the Explorer which will remove interactive logos. The only reason you think the Philips is the only option is because you aren't aware of the other options Jethro - the fact you weren't aware of other (well publicised) UK Guideplus recorders is a good example of that.

What was untrue was the fact you failed to see I didn't say it only updates once a day - I said it didn't have dynamic updates. Which it doesn't! Whereas Freeview and Sky do...

To which all I can suggest is the reader does a search on my username - he will find I recommend a wide variety of machine: Sony, Panasonic, Toshiba, Samsung, Pioneer and JVC have all be recommended in recent posts. Now do a search on Jethro and you will find contributions limited to Philips, Philips, Philips and Philips. I think it will become clear who is biased. If your still unsure checkout the review I linked to - regardless of my supposed leanings why buy a machine others consider to be dodgy?