1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Television volume problems

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by Jim_R, Oct 4, 2005.

1. Jim_R

Jim_R

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here in the USA, it is not uncommon for television stations to turn up the volume during commercials. Normally, this is not that big of a problem. Lately, I have noticed that the volume goes WAY up during some commercials. I called a couple of different television stations today, and they insist that they do not turn up the volume to any significant degree during commercials. Because I do not notice that significant of an increase on my den or bedroom televisions (utilizing their built-in amplifiers and speakers), I was wondering if this could be problem inherent to my Arcam AVR300. Any thoughts?

2. niceguy235uk

niceguy235uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    Basically they dont turn up volume in commercials. it is all down to how they use the bandwidth.

3. GW43

GW43

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151
    Well, whatever the "cause", it's a fact - I taped Ali from Channel 4 the other night, and on playing it back the volume had to be cranked up to hear the dialogue, yet when the ads came on I had to rush to turn it down otherwise the kids would be woken up.

I've long suspected it happens, and that confirmed it for me. After watching half the film I gave up on it, it was so annoying.

4. Jim_R

Jim_R

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My question still is...since the volume increase is not nearly as pronounced on other televisions in the house, why is it so much more evident on the television that I am using with my AVR300? Is there a way to deal with this? As an aside, I originally thought that the volume change was a function of the mode in which the program material was recorded/broadcast (i.e. some programs and commercials are presented in Dolby 5.1, while others are presented Dolby PL, Stereo, etc.). However, I have very carefully watched the switching of modes as programming material changes, and there does not seem to be an obvious correlation.

5. Designer

Designer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I find ad breaks generally a bit louder than main programming. I'm not suprised you found the ad breaks to be *significantly* louder during a film.

It goes a bit like this......

On main programming there is generally a bit of headroom on the audio to give it some dynamic range and a feeling of life. It is well known that there is much greater headroom on films between, say, dialogue level and maximum recording level. This is to leave dynamic range for big explosions etc.

Adverts are generally post-processed to have a very small dynamic range. They are heavily compressed to make them sound louder - so you can still hear them when you leave the room to make a cup of tea etc. (The dialogue level is much closer to maximum recording level).

This makes the adverts during a film seem much louder than the film itself. It's annoying, but not the fault of the TV station.

Same goes for 'pop' FM radio stations. The stations put the music through multi-band compressors to make the music seem louder without 'distorting'. This is on the basis that people are more likely to stick with a station when they are scanning though if it is loud and therefore gives the impression of being a strong signal. All makes for a bland listening experience if you ask me.

6. Designer

Designer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Jim R,
    Forgot that bit....
    It is probably more pronounced on a proper hifi / home cinema seup because this kind of system is much more capable of reproducing dynamic range than small speakers built into the TV.

7. Jim_R

Jim_R

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Mark! That makes a lot of sense.

8. WRG

WRG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    FYI, Even without using the AVR300, with just Dir*ct TV here in the states, commercials are most considerably louder than regular programming :suicide: Personally I get tired of turning down the commercial breaks, really annoying :thumbsdow I've considered using a product I've seen someplace, I may have to backtrack, it's a small box to hook to the TV and when it senses commercials it automatically reduces the volume and returns to normal after the break :smashin: I'll check and see if I can find this little gem again...I don't know if it really works, though it's a very novel idea if it in fact does :clap:

9. per-Sony-fied

per-Sony-fied

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    Can depend on the Tv you have. Sony's in particular have a setting in the menu called "auto volume" which accounts for volume changes between channels, i/p's and commercials. My TV certainly does anyhow.

10. per-Sony-fied

per-Sony-fied

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    I thought this was down to using higher modulation levels in relative terms to the power output so the signal could be *thrown* further to capture a wider audience and one reason why the BBC broadcasts sound so much better because they don't follow this trend.

11. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,235
    ITV were recently told to cut the loudness of adverts.

12. WRG

WRG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    per-Sony-fied, thanks for the tip. I have an XBR I'll check to see if the auto-volume is in the menu :thumbsup:

13. SMCC

SMCC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's not the fault of your AVR300. The broadcasters are at fault. It's the only thing more annoying than all those on-screen graphics to remind us which channel we're watching.
    A PVR is of some help here, if you start watching a program a few minutes late you can then fast-forward through the ads...