Television Terms - TV Glossary - article discussion

Mark thanks very much for this. It is interesting that it has had so few comments, views. I think that it should have some sort of "promotion". An article like this could help many potential buyers to understand in "simple" terms all the confusing wording that most manufacturers use.

This was a great explanation of TV tech talk. I knew a lot of it but I still learned a lot also.

Then while about to write this very post I notice that it was upped in April !
Can't believe its been here so long and I've never seen it until today.

@Mark Hodgkinson

Hi Mark and thanks for the great article. I had always thought of panel banding as dse and the term 'banding' as only referring to colour banding but the article enlightened me as to difference between them. Like SystemDemon, I only stumbled across it today so apologies for the late response but I wondered if you could clear something up for me?

The segment on input lag states that: 'the factor that we test for in our reviews is the input lag caused by the image processing of the TV. Image processing all takes time and increases the amount of input lag - Input lag is not to be confused panel response time, which is the time measured for a pixel to go from grey to white and then back to grey again'

Q: Are 'image processing' and 'panel response time' separate and individual processes? Does image processing affect input lag separately from panel response time or does the latter encompass the former?

I was under the impression that panel response time could basically be used as an all encompassing term to describe input lag. If image processing has a separate affect on input lag then I have got this wrong and theoretically a TV with fast response times could still have high input lag caused by image processing?

Thanks,
Paul

Last edited:
I hadn't seen this article until today. It's strange because having listened to the podcast recently where a lot of the terminology is used, I was thinking that it would be a good idea to have some explanation of what the jargon actually means, and now it's here!

I think it's going take a few rereads though...

My job requires me to transform complex topics into succinct pieces of text or digital media, so I appreciate the effort that went into this.

I understand most of it (though I definitely need to engage more of my grey matter with colour accuracy), but I still enjoyed reading it.

Hi Mark, many thanks for a very interesting and informative article from which I and, I'm sure, many others, have learned quite a bit. Keep up the good work.

Martin.

Hi Mark,

Very informative article. Thanks for all the hard work it must have involved in putting it together. One thing not mentioned is overscan. I know it's about how much of the broadcast signal you actually see but that's about it. I've seen a few people mention it but would appreciate knowing a bit more about it and whether it's adjustable on most TVs.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom