Television reviews

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by AvidWatcher, Jan 17, 2008.

Tags:
  1. AvidWatcher

AvidWatcher
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I went into a well-known high-street retailer today, interested in the Pansonic TX32LMD70. The manager tried to put me off it in favour of other models from Sharp, LG, Philip and Samsung for an extra £50-£150.

The Panasonic is already pushing the limits of the budget anyway, but what took me back was the manager's statement that I should ignore what a well-known magazine said in its reviews about the Panasonic as the reviews are paid for.

I know that sort of thing can go on, but (perhaps in my innocence) I did not think that well-known magazines would run the risk to their reputation. Also I had taken some comfort in the fact that the Panasonic is also well-rated in Which? which seems genuinely independent (albeit not always expert) and forums such as this. Not to mention that my current Panasonic CRT has a brilliant picture.

Has anyone else ever been told to ignore advice in the commercial review magazines? Or should I suspect that that manager had other motives?

2. mark1000

mark1000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +863
    I don't know about the review, but sales staff are always trying to bleed as much out of the punter as possible.

Mark.

3. Robert1234

Robert1234
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I wonder whether the salesman was just saying what he thought might clinch a sale.

I bought the smaller TX26LMD70 yesterday and so far I'm delighted with it. Picture quality from freeview is excellent.

Cheers, Robert.

4. jah

jah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Sounds like he wanted you to spend another £50-£150 to me;).

There's always the suspicion that reviews in magazines are somewhat less than impartial but what are you to do? Just take everything with a pinch of salt and make your own judgement.

Buy the Panasonic from another shop;).

Cheers,

jah

5. Miss Chief

Miss Chief

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,187
    And then go back into the shop and speak to the highest person you can see and say that the attitude of the saleperson you spoke to in trying to upsell you instead of advising you on the TV you wanted made you buy your TV elsewhere. :D

6. Dorset Dave

Dorset Dave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    I have the tx26"LXD70 which is brilliant. Forget the sales pitch, he's probably on commission, get the panny.