1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Television overscan

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Adlopa, Feb 22, 2003.

1. Adlopa

Adlopa
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After fiddling with the various settings on my new Tosh 42in plasma last night, I discovered something curious with the Picture Pos/Size settings. Reducing the H & V size reveals much more image on most channels. On Sky 1, for example, reducing both H & V sizes to -5 (assuming the centre is 0 and the end points +/-10) reveals 'hidden' parts of a 4x3 programme but most adverts then appear with black bars at the top and bottom.

The position of the DOG on 4x3 programmes is then a good logo width in from the left/right of the screen when the full broadcasted image is revealed in this way. I knew that overscan existed but I never realised just how much -- we're missing a good 20% of the image on some channels!

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,808
    The Panny and Tosh units load up different size and geometric settings dependant on incoming scan rate. You will find that it is overscanning on ntsc,pal, ntsc progressive,pal progressive in fact everything.

It's one of the things I sort out in the service menu during my calibrations

Gordon