1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Television Compatability In Australia

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Tommy Gunn, Oct 3, 2002.

1. Tommy Gunn

Tommy Gunn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Help is needed. I have two televisions;

1. Matsui 1436 Portable
    2. Toshiba 2877DB Nicam Digital & Dolby Surround Sound TV

Do you know if these TV's will work in Australia? I have been told there maybe a problem with PAL? Versions???? Whatever that means? Can anyone help? Or know anyone who might know?

What about a standard UK Video recorder?

Your assistance is appreciated.

Tommy

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,070
    In any of these devices, the tuner is unlikely to receive anything off-air. The frequencies used for broadcasts differ.

The VCR WILL play existing and pre-recorded tapes. The TV will continue to work with the VCR and with a DVD player if you get/have one.

The VCR will not receive (and therefore, not record) anything off-air.

If you buy a local VCR, it will receive and record. The TV can be used as a monitor with a local VCR if connected via composite video, s-video or rgb. The TV will NOT work with a local VCR connected only via the RF (aerial) cable.

AFAIK the mains voltage is the same as ours.

3. Tommy Gunn

Tommy Gunn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for help.

Are you saying that it will work with an Austrlian Video recorder? It will work if signals are recieved via cable TV eg Foxtel.

I'm not very technical as you can tell!!!

Cheers

Tommy

4. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,070
    Yes, but only if the VCR is connected to the TV via Composite Video, S-Video or RGB and accompanying Audio connections. In the UK this is usually done using SCARTs. My guess is that SCARTs are not normally found on Aussie equipment, but equivalent sockets (separate ones for audio and video) will be there.

It almost certainly WON'T work with a VCR that is connected to the TV and used via the RF (aka Aerial) cable.

Yes, but with the same comment; must be connected to the TV using video and audio connections - not RF.

If your TV has SCARTs on it, I were you, before you go, I'd invest in a couple of SCART > 6 x phono cables; they may not be readily obtainable in Aus.