1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Television Aerial

Discussion in 'TVs' started by TMT, Jul 22, 2005.

1. TMT

TMT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry if this is the wrong section of the forum! (Move the post, if so!)

Anyway. I haven't quite got the money to buy a good aerial/antenna and have it fitted at the moment. I've a 14" portable television in my bedroom that uses an in-door aerial. This doesn't give me sufficient signal. Most channels are fuzzy, both visually and audibly.

My question is; what could I bash together to create a more sensitive aerial/antenna? For example, with various pieces of metal (maybe a metal coat hanger, heh - the classic), what would be the best configuration in terms of shape/size, etc? And anything else you feel is of use!

Also, I notice that on an aerial/antenna connector (BNC?), there are two contact points; the inner pin and the outer ring. I'm logically guessing that the inner pin is the actual aerial/antenna point, and that the outer ring is its shield. How do these separate wire connections stay separate on the destination aerial/antenna? Or do they?

Thanks!

2. nig28

nig28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    Its the position of the aerial that is more important not the size, you need to get the aerial outside and as high as posible.
    Nigel

3. JayCee

JayCee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,937
    Are you in the USA, UK or where?
    If you cannot have an outdoor aerial at all and the indoor aerial isn't giving you a decent signal you will not improve much on that with a coathanger or anything else you cobble together.
    Your best bet would be an amplified indoor aerial...these have a built-in signal booster and are usually battery powered.

To answer your second point all UK televisions use a "Coaxial" or "Coax" socket for the aerial and the "inner" and "braid" of the coax cable are kept separate at the aerial end as well, usually connected to the tuned element of the aerial by screws or solder tags.

4. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Can you mount an antenna in your loft space?

5. Cynthia 7

Cynthia 7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi TMT.

The others have given you good information. If you can't mount an aerial in your loft or don't want to spend much just now, a booster for your indoor aerial makes a big difference if you don't have an amplified aerial. They cost about £10 from Argos and other outlets. A friend had an unwatchable picture on Channel 4 but a booster changed that into a clear picture.

I have one that I no longer use I could send to you free of charge. It would only be suitable for an analogue signal (terrestial tv as opposed to Freeview or Sky set top boxes). It should be fine for your portable tv.

If you would like it, I could probably e-mail you via the forum and you could e-mail back your address, just let me know and I'd be happy to post it.