teletext subtitles problem (32pf9976)

O

orm

New to this (excellent) forum, so bear with me...

Got my Philips 32pf9976 a couple of months ago and I'm a very happy man! After having seen many LCD and plasma screens, I'm impressed by the picture quality of this one. And the looks of it is to my taste superior to the 9986 (which have even better specs but was out of my budget).

Still, one problem: Not being a native english speaker, I often watch BBC with subtitles (888) since it hepls me understand everything. Now since a couple of weeks the most strange and irritating thing occurs: When conversation falls quiet, the last text-string stays on screen all the time until a new one comes up (which could be half an hour later if it's the last line of one programme and the next one isn't subtitled!). If nothing is said the text should disappear. It still does so correctly on my other set, so it has nothing to do with the transmission. I've looked everywhere in the menu's, tried turning Teletext 2.5 on/off or putting it back to "factory defaults" for instance, but the problem remains. This is especially annoying since the 32pf9976 doesn't have a dedicated button on the remote for subtitling - you have to enter the menu's to change it to on/off. Or change channel and back, that helps too.

Anyone else have this too? Better still, is there anyone who knows how to correct it? Thanks!

Can't you switch on subtitles by just pressing teletext and entering 888?

My 9986 has the gimmick "switch on subtitles when sound is muted" and that seems to work OK but of course that is not very useful for your purpose.

'Course I can. I'm just being lazy. With my old tv I had a button on the remote that did that with one push of that button. With this tv you set subtitles on or off in the menu (which means pushing a few more buttons on the remote), and it automatically gives you subtitling from page 888. You just have to specify page 888 as being the subtitling-page for each channel you want subtitles with. It works perfectly in the way that I can zap through all the channels, and when BBC comes on the subtitling comes on automatically!

Do you watch your programming on Sky? Or is it terrestrial viewing mostly. Sky's subtitles seem to work quite well.

There are adjustments in the Service Menu for subtitles (I think) but I doubt that this is the problem...

Jimmy

I'm in Holland, so I can't get British DVB-T, and I don't have a satellite as yet. Holland was quite extensively "cabled" in the 80's - one of the few positive things about dense population - and 95% of the dutch households have cable tv. The BBC1 and BBC2 analogue terrestial signals are picked up on the Belgian coast and cabled to Amsterdam with almost perfect quality. That means that we get BBC SouthEast news, but no BBC3 BBC4 ITV Sky or those things (though I'd love to have it, especially since analogue tv is being discontinued in a few years, but I'm not sure how to get it.... but that's another future thread...). I beleive my problem is all to do with the tv-set (teletext tuner?) since my other tv (fed by the same cable) doesn't have the same problem.

>The BBC1 and BBC2 analogue terrestial signals are picked up on the Belgian coast and cabled to Amsterdam with almost perfect quality.

This is no longer true. For a year or two, BBC1 and 2 are received from satellite, and now that they are free-to-air on satellite you can receive them yourself. BBC3 BBC4 BBCnews24 and ITV3 as well, but those are usually not put on cable.

Apparently not a widespread problem with this model, but just my set that does this...? By the way, the problem occurs also when watching subtitles by switching to teletext and pressing 888. On all channels.

Seems like your set has a fault in the videotext-decoder. I don't have an LCD (just an old Aristona 55cm TV), so I can't test it. I use the BBC subtitles too and they go away when they are supposed to. It would really annoy me if they didn't. I'd like to know if there are others who have the same problem, so come on guys, post your findings :). Also, it could be firmware related, so check your firmware revision. And contact Philips about this. Let us know how it goes.

- Jerry

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom