teletext on freeview

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by andrewq, Jan 6, 2005.

1. andrewq

andrewq
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    is teletext available thro' freeview? i've got a cheapo "Alba" box which i bought just to prove i could get freeview. is teletext a future addition or do i need a more upmarket box?

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    Teletext is not on Freeview as such. What you do get as standard is digital text directly from the BBC channels by pressing the 'Text' button on the Freeview remote. Other channels have text services by going to the correct channels as there services are on a channel and not a sub channel as on analogue.

Mark.

3. NX3

NX3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332
    Sky Text is in testing, it might have started now, now sure.
    BBC, all the old page numbers from Ceefax still work
    ITV/C4 teletext is the digital version on one of the channels.

Teletext won't be added, its old technology, digital interactive services are much better :)

4. Cliff

Cliff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,834
    Yes teletex is a very old technology but looking at the new digital text services they need "more work" Example- I was trying to get airport arrival info the other day on freeview- gave up and resorted to good old analogue teletex.
    By the way when teletext was first invented and demonstrated semiconductor memory was not an option in those days. They used magnetic core stores to display a page!

5. sdc395

sdc395
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Technically, Teletext is available on Freeview - it's on channel 9 (as well as their TV guide on 54 and holiday content on 55). It's not the same as their analogue offering (carried along with ITV/C4's analogue TV signals) but it is a Teletext service.

It depends if you mean "teletext" the technology or "Teletext" the media company.

6. NX3

NX3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332
    it may need more work, freeview is relatively new and developing changing all the time. ITV / C4 have been much slower than the BBC at sorting themselves on Freeview (still sulking cause ITV Digital went bust). BBC added the old ceefax numbers to digital text only a few weeks ago but it makes it much easier to find info (if you know the page number).

I don't know if Teletext on channel has the same contents, I suspect it will. It use the page numbering system so use the old page number on the new system and you should find what your after. If they don't have something then drop them a email and complain. I complained to the BBC about something on digital text, got a reply to say its being added in approx six month. Not bad, in the mean time I can use the internet, old text services to find out what I wanted.