1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Teletext breakthrough S-VHS Playback

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by rockyglw, Aug 27, 2003.

Tags:
  1. rockyglw

rockyglw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I have a Phillips 24 w/s tv and a JVC HR-S7965 S Video. When recording and playing back videos in S-VHS sourced from channels with analogue teletext service. I get flashing teletext channel identifiers at the bottom of screen. This only occurs in S-Video and not in normal video. Phillips seem aware of the problem and can only provide the following. Use the machine in non S-VHS and this will get rid of the problem. Of course this is totally against the point of buying this machine. Allders Group Service, where I bought the TV, were more sympathetic and seemed to think it was the extra bandwidth of S-Video that carried the teletext signals. It appears that only Phillips sets are affected and they don't have a solution. Anyone out there with any help would be much appreciated

2. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,266
    S-VHS VCRs have recorded most of the off air teletext signal for years. This is not by design but, as Allders mentioned, is due to the higher bandwidth. It's not perfect by any means, mainly due to the timing errors introduced by the recording process. It's strange that Philips make the teletext chipset used in many manufacturers' TVs but I have never heard of this before in any other brand.

The only bodge I can suggest it to put some sort of copy correction box or video enhancer between the VCR & TV as this will rip out the sync area, which is where the text signal lives. You could try to get Philips to pay for it. Alternatively, swap the TV.

3. rockyglw

rockyglw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks for the suggestion GaryB. The set is 3 years old so the odds of getting it swapped is not likely. Apart from this anoying phenomena I am really pleased with the TV. I could try an enhancer, but even the high quality boxes have a tendency to degrade the picture.

4. scooby do

scooby do

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    typical normal service from Philips when will these guys learn?