Telescope as a present

sparkymark75

My 8 year old daughter has shown an interest lately in stars and the moon so I was thinking of getting her an introductory telescope for her Xmas. However, kids being kids, I don't want to spend loads of money on one if it turns out to be a passing fad.

Can anyone recommend a decent telescope for £50-£100?

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member
There was a thread in GC recenetly that may be of interest.

DPinBucks

Distinguished Member
I really, really, don't want to rain on your (or, especially, her) parade, but 8 years is, IMO, far too young to assume a genuine life-long dedication.

I love to see a little one come up with an interesting idea, and you must encourage it, but also you have to assume it won't last.

£100 is, again simply IMO, far too much to spend. Look at Amazon. They do dozens of entry-level 'scopes at about £13 upwards. If she really gets into it, then buy her something more worthwhile for her next birthday.

=== EDIT ===
Unless, of course, you also fancy a telescope for yourself.

How many toys are bought in the hope the father will get a go, too? Scalextric? Hornby?

Last edited:

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member
I remember I got a project-on-the-celing planetarium one Christmas (must pop back to the Christmas present thread) - that was pretty cool. Or maybe a trip to a 'real' planetarium - e.g. the Glasgow science centre.

Just some different ideas on the same theme.

swiftpete

Distinguished Member
Definitely agree with the above about get cheap. Odds on by christmas she'll have gone off astronomy anyway, it's 3 weeks away you know!

Ultima

Distinguished Member
8 years old is young...but is it to young?

Anyway, I can guarantee that if you spend £13 on a toy, sorry telescope, your daughter will definitely have given up the idea of astronomy before the year is out.

sparkymark75

Being a typical dad, I got her age wrong. It's her b/day on Sunday so she'll be 9 on Xmas. Does that make much difference? :D

Jenn

Distinguished Member
The trouble is if you start with too cheap a telescope it can put you off the whole thing because it can be a little difficult to find anything other than the moon and then people are disappointed because they don't see the great pictures you see on the Sky at Night.

To give you an idea of what you can expect to see, these where taken with a 6" Celestron Schmidt-Cassegrain telescope (the pictures aren't as "good" as they could be because we're just learning and don't have all the filters and only did it from our garden where there is light polution).
But you'd expect to pay over £800 for that.

Attachments

• moon1.png
    moon1.png
    197.8 KB · Views: 45
  • moon2.png
    moon2.png
    259.8 KB · Views: 43
  • saturn.jpg
    saturn.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 46

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sony A90J/A80J OLED details, Best type of Amplification, Film & TV Show News + Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom