Teleport Music

Nivek TT

Distinguished Member
40p a music video seems very steep to me, a pub video jukebox is cheaper than that!

I do like the concept of music videos on demand. If I could build a playlist of music videos that played through automatically for no more than £1.50 an hour (currently at 40p for 4 min thats £6 an hour :eek: ) I could see me definetely favouring this over a music channel full of ring tone ads! It would be sweet to have a couple of hours of music videos ready to loop through when I've got lots of folk round, more interesting than CDs.

Perhaps a monthly fee, maybe £5/6, for access to the complete library of Teleport music would be a much better pricing strategy. A large library, combined with some sort of playlist feature and I could see this taking over from my CD / mp3 collection!

EDIT: Actually £5/6 would be very cheap for this sort of service, £15 would be reasonable and in line with internet based subscription music services if it was a large library. It could also include just audio tracks in the cases of album tracks / b sides which don't come with videos. I hope Telewest develop this idea!
 

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
I hate the concept of anything on demand.
I'm paying a HD sub and the Movies sub, but I have to pay again to watch a HD film? What's that about?
What a rip-off, IMO.
Same as the music, anyone paying 40p for a four minute track is crazy.
 

Nivek TT

Distinguished Member
Video on Demand is the killer app for cable TV! How can you not like it..? We get all the channels we would expect but in addition get the option, and I stress option, of paying for on demand content that comes advertisement free!

I don't subscribe to any movie channels because I much prefer the VoD Teleport movies where I pay only if I watch!

I do feel that 40p per track for only 24 hours is too much. At £6 an hour thats approximately three times the price of a top tier VoD movie! If Telewest could offer a subscription based service, priced in line with the internet based subscripion services, of playlisted music videos as I described above with a reasonably extnesive library of music I would sign up in a heart beat. I would happily forget about music channels full of Crazy Frog and Little Britain rip-off commercials where half of the songs played make me want to turn over.
 

buffalo2102

Novice Member
Badger0-0 said:
I hate the concept of anything on demand.
I'm paying a HD sub and the Movies sub, but I have to pay again to watch a HD film? What's that about?
What a rip-off, IMO.
Same as the music, anyone paying 40p for a four minute track is crazy.
You're not paying a HD sub, it's a PVR sub. The BBC and ITV trials are free and the only other HD is free or PPV through Teleport. When the Sky HD channels appear then I suspect you will have to pay a HD sub as well (if you want to watch them).

40p for a video is a darn sight better than the £1 that The Box was charging for many years. Personally I agree it is too steep and would not pay it but plenty of people are.
 

Nivek TT

Distinguished Member
The Box charged a £1 per request..? :eek: But I suppose they had to fund themselves somehow before ringtone commercials came along.

How much is the cost of a text to The Box these days..?

The idea of a Teleport music service has got me really excited! Dunno if the TVDrive is capable of building a playlist of content to play automatically but it would be sweet, even for regular Teleport viewing. I was watching Pingu episodes recently (I still crack up at the animation :rotfl: ) which only clock in at about 5mins long and selecting the next episode every few minutes is pretty tedious! Be much nicer to select multiple episodes to play!
 

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
buffalo2102 said:
You're not paying a HD sub, it's a PVR sub. The BBC and ITV trials are free and the only other HD is free or PPV through Teleport. When the Sky HD channels appear then I suspect you will have to pay a HD sub as well (if you want to watch them).

40p for a video is a darn sight better than the £1 that The Box was charging for many years. Personally I agree it is too steep and would not pay it but plenty of people are.
Interesting.
So why am I currently paying more than the cost of SKY's top package?
Which includes HD.
Your suggestion that it will cost even more for HD will have subscribers flocking to SKY, IMO, myself included.
I seriously hope you're wrong.
 

warrej

Novice Member
Badger0-0 said:
Interesting.
So why am I currently paying more than the cost of SKY's top package?
Which includes HD.
Your suggestion that it will cost even more for HD will have subscribers flocking to SKY, IMO, myself included.
I seriously hope you're wrong.
It shouldn't really come as a surprise, considering that Sky charge £299 up front for their box, so at £10 per month it is going to take 2.5 years before it costs you any money. However, once the Sky HD box comes down in price to 199 and then 99, the £10 pm is going to be way to much. I'm hoping (though not expecting :rolleyes:) that if Sky HD comes to TW that the combined TVDrive/HD sub will be no more than £15 per month
 

buffalo2102

Novice Member
Badger0-0 said:
Interesting.
So why am I currently paying more than the cost of SKY's top package?
Which includes HD.
Your suggestion that it will cost even more for HD will have subscribers flocking to SKY, IMO, myself included.
I seriously hope you're wrong.
But Sky charge a HD subscription as well, depending on what other subscriptions you have. I don't know anything about what TW may charge but I shouldn't think it will be much different. My point was that you are not paying a HD subscription at the moment. It just happens that your PVR is HD capable.
 

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
buffalo2102 said:
But Sky charge a HD subscription as well, depending on what other subscriptions you have. I don't know anything about what TW may charge but I shouldn't think it will be much different. My point was that you are not paying a HD subscription at the moment. It just happens that your PVR is HD capable.
I'm sidetracking the thread a bit, apologies OP.
I have the top package, which is already more expensive than Sky's top package, which includes HD, so I was under the assumption that when the HD comes through, it'll be automatically added in. I bet everyone else in the same position is thinking the same too.
My Blueyonder services are currently £120 a month and my phone bill is never more than a tenner.
It's getting beyond a joke and I can see me throwing the lot if what you're saying is correct.
 

Similar threads

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Home AV, TV, Tech News & Reviews, Plus The Best of July 2020
Top Bottom