Telephoto Lens

sachin

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a Canon 40D and the only lens that I have with it is the Tamron 17-50. It's quite a good lens but one thing I find is since it doesn't have a great zoom range it is not great for zooming in on far away subjects such as a person in a crowd or a building in the distance. Can someone suggest a zoom lens that I could get for this purpose?

Thanks,

Sachin

I didn't really have a budget in mind. I was hoping to get something good like an 'L' lens but am not sure if that would be wasted on a 40D. I guess £500 or a £1000 is what I'm looking at. I can try and convince the misses to let me spend more. :)

Canon 70-200 F4 L, 70-200 F2.8 L or 100-400 L. All great, difference will be speed, reach and price.

With the two lenses that go from 70 to 200 what's the difference, in technical terms? I see that one is f/4 the other f/2.8. What does this difference mean technically?

With the two lenses that go from 70 to 200 what's the difference, in technical terms? I see that one is f/4 the other f/2.8. What does this difference mean technically?

F2.8 lens allows twice as much light through as an F4 lens so gives you a whole extra "stop" of exposure in lower lighting conditions (so can use faster shutter speed if necessary) and also allows you to chose to shoot with a narrower depth of field... F2.8 lens is also likely to be a fair bit heavier and more expensive...

Jim

You should really know what aperture is before spending 1k on a lens.

You should really know what aperture is before spending 1k on a lens.

...unless it's a present for me of course ;) :devil:

Jim

I knew what aperture was but I didn't know it was something that was set on a lens as well. I know you can adjust it on a camera.

A mod dissing a Sony user, you saw it here first folks! All we get is abuse.

Oh behave, that's why there was a :D and a :devil: at the end to imply humour....

Oh behave, that's why there was a :D and a :devil: at the end to imply humour....

Easy to say once youve already done the damage and hurt our feelings. :rotfl:

Easy to say once youve already done the damage and hurt our feelings. :rotfl:

Yeah - and me being so thin skinned I could be scarred for life :)

Jim

Hi all,

I have a Canon 40D and the only lens that I have with it is the Tamron 17-50. It's quite a good lens but one thing I find is since it doesn't have a great zoom range it is not great for zooming in on far away subjects such as a person in a crowd or a building in the distance. Can someone suggest a zoom lens that I could get for this purpose?

Thanks,

Sachin

I'll stick my oar in with the Sigma 120-400mm f4.5-5.6. Relatively cheap and I like mine. It doesn't sound to me like you need a constant aperture lens.

I'll stick my oar in with the Sigma 120-400mm f4.5-5.6. Relatively cheap and I like mine. It doesn't sound to me like you need a constant aperture lens.

What are implications of having a single aperture lens to a variable aperture one? It sounds like it would be harder to use a variable aperture one.

What are implications of having a single aperture lens to a variable aperture one? It sounds like it would be harder to use a variable aperture one.

Cost. Have a look at the cost of a constant aperture upto 400mm zoom for example. :)

It is not harder to use and for a crowd shot or distant building you don't "need" a constant aperture lens.

*Size and weight too.

Last edited:
Yes, I just found out how much a Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II USM costs and nearly fell out of my seat. That's not the kind I need at all. I need something simpler.

Canon 70-200mm f/4 IS, if you are comfortable going second hand a Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 IS. Good thing about second hand buying is even if you don't get on with it after a month or so you can sell it for what you paid almost although obviously you need to get a good one and buying from forums is probably what I'd do and avoid ebay.

If you don't want to break the bank the Canon 70-200mm f/4 (non-IS) is good value for money.

Last edited:
Canon 70-200mm f/4 IS, if you are comfortable going second hand a Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 IS. Good thing about second hand buying is even if you don't get on with it after a month or so you can sell it for what you paid almost although obviously you need to get a good one and buying from forums is probably what I'd do and avoid ebay.

If you don't want to break the bank the Canon 70-200mm f/4 (non-IS) is good value for money.

From the OP I would suggest that 200mm is too short.

If it was wildlife or planes the OP mentioned I would say a Canon 100-400mm, but people and buildings a 70-200mm should be a good focal length if you are used to a 17-50mm.

What about the new Tamron 70-300mm Di SP VC USD? Getting rave reviews. Tamron 70-300mm F4-5.6 SP Di VC USD | Buy Tamron 70-300 Lens Online

Free Tamron UV filter and a 5 year Tamron warranty and the price is pretty good too. By all accounts it's a darned nice lens throughout the range with good colours, bokeh and sharpness and it's optically stabilised.

Do the research.

The aperture specification in a lens refers to the maximum aperture available (widest opening, smallest F-number) not the amount of apertures available. So for a 70-200mm F4 (constant aperture) lens you can shoot with the lens at 70mm and F4 then you can zoom to 200mm and stay at F4.

With a variable aperture lens such as a 70-200mm F4 - F5.6, you can set the lens to 70mm and F4 but when you zoom to 200mm the maximum aperture you can set is F5.6, a stop slower. With either lens you can choose slower apertures (F4+) it's just the constant aperture lens allows the same aperture throughout the zoom range.

The advantage of a constant aperture lens is that you don't have to use a slower aperture when zoomed in but the tradeoff is that constant aperture lenses are usually more expensive as well as physically larger and heavier. Wide apertures are particularly useful on a telephoto lens as that means higher shutter speeds to compensate for camera shake which is more of an issue the longer the focal length.

John

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom