Telephoto lens advice (Canon)

danjama

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, been a while since I posted on here but regularly lurk :)

I was out of photography for a while as I went through a bit of a tough time financially last year, so I had to sell all my Canon stuff (nothing high end).

Now I'm back in with a 60d. So far I have a 50mm 1.8 (Calumet were selling them new for £70 so had to be done) and a Sigma 18-200 3.5-6.3. I also have a couple of manual lenses which I enjoy playing with.

Now the point of my post - I am a wings and wheels photographer at heart. After a few hours at Brands Hatch it's quite clear the Sigma will not do for what I want. Yes I got the odd keeper but nowhere near enough.

Now i'm considering a few options around the £200-£400 mark:

Canon 70-300mm f4-5.6 IS USM
Tamron 70-300mm f4-5.6 VC (favourite so far)
Canon 70-200mm f4 L (no IS) - this is more than I want to spend really but being considered
Sigma 120-400mm f4.5-5.6

The problem is I used to own a couple of little secrets in the form of a Canon 100-300mm f4.5-5.6 USM and Canon 70-210 f4. These are relatively unknown by many and are real hidden gems IMO. The 70-210 was slow to focus but gave great macro and bokeh results, whilst the 100-300mm simply punches well above it's weight! With a bit of work by the photographer you were awarded with reasonably sharp photos and the focus was impressive being USM.

So my dilemma is justifying spending a good chunk of money on the listed lenses or going back to what I know for a fraction of the cost. Don't get me wrong, the above lenses had their problems but this was easy to ignore with the little outlay involved.

Sorry for the lengthy post. I guess I want to be persuaded to splash out on something new (or not). To help with the debate, here are some results from each lens.

70-210mm F4

Amused. by danjama, on Flickr

Friends or Lovers by danjama, on Flickr

Iron Lion by danjama, on Flickr

Bokeh Behind Old Steel by danjama, on Flickr

100-300mm 4.5-5.6 USM

IMG_4916 by danjama, on Flickr

IMG_5563 by danjama, on Flickr

IMG_5946 by danjama, on Flickr

IMG_6664 by danjama, on Flickr

Here's one with the Sigma 18-200mm recently for reference.

Classic Lotus F1 by danjama, on Flickr

I guess I just feel i've been spoilt a bit previously by cheap, usable lenses. Thank you for any advice in advance.

I agree the 100-300 usm is a very good lens but does not get much use since I got the 70-200 f4 is L.

I recently part exchanged the Tamron 70-300 VC for a 300mm f4 IS.
I really enjoyed using the lens, brilliant in good light and at f8 for aircraft and really nice subject isolation wide open....great lens for the money.
I bought a second hand 70-200 f4 IS L and love the quality of this lens.

I also recommend looking second hand especially if you want the 70-200...

Yes if I was going to buy the F4L I would be going second hand definitely. The problem is 200mm is not enough for me. If you factor in a decent extender you're close to 100-400mm money or other similar 400-500mm lenses. So I think the F4L is out for me.

The Tamron 70-300 is where i'm leaning. I think (hope) it will be sharper than the Canon 100-300mm. And 70mm is also helpful at the short end.

Thanks for all comments so far :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom