Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

"telephone not connected"

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by pmctbc, Jan 4, 2005.

1. pmctbc

pmctbc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    -can anyone help please
    -i reconnected to sky 3 months ago and am now trying to add multiroom.
    the problem i have is that both boxes (panasonic & amstrad) say on system test that the telephone is not connected.
    -i have made 5 long calls to sky customer services and technical support, all they say is that it can only be either the modem in both boxes are faulty, or that the phone line is broken (i have checked and the line and connections are fine)
    -i have ntl phone line
    -it is ex-directory
    -i have broadband
    -i have changed telephone numbers but sky know my new number

Thank You

2. dsk19s

dsk19s

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    firstly press services button option 4 then in succession 0-1 select option 3 telehone setting the type on the remote in the dialling type prefix box 1470 its sky's phone exchange alows them to bypass your ex directory ..if its saying not connected then it will come up with call backfailed or not connected again then nip to b&q homebase and get telephone extension and connect them up the do same process again except select option 6 new install and follow on screen promts should do a call back. :)

3. davidcotton

davidcotton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I've got a similar problem. Both ends (sky +box and phone point) are connected but check on services and it says not connected! I'm just waiting the threatning letter now before I call back. I hope its something simple like the splitter (if thats what its called) at teh phone point is knackered.

4. Crocodile

Crocodile
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,859
    Have you got an ADSL Microfilter on the phone socket that the Sky box is connected to? If not, you need one.

I believe that some broadband users still have problems with a filter connected. Try disconnecting from your ISP & then see if the Sky box can dial. At least that may indicate where the problem lies.

5. pmctbc

pmctbc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    many thanks for the replies
    -unfortunately no luck so far

dsk19s -tried both suggestions without success

davidcotton -sky will not activate my "mirror card" without charging me 2 full subscriptions

crocodile -my telephone works even if i am using the internet at the same time (separate line i think)

any more ideas most welcome :lease:

6. explicitlyrics

explicitlyrics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    yes but sky boxes can be very picky about how clean the telephone line is. I havnt had one box calling back for ages but the Sky+ box started to call back having failed repeatedly for a few months. Try using different cables (ones that came with the box ideally), a second microfilter and disconnecting the ADSL modem and maybe a phone. See if any of that works otherwise get Sky to send an engineer to have a go (and probably fail), but at least then you have more bargaining power with sky to stop them charging two subscriptions. They have waived the telephone connection for us after a letter and a 'few' phone calls.

7. dsk19s

dsk19s

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the only thing i can think of is the modem...i would cancel my subs as i worked for sky and have telewest my own house and ntl in my name at my mums granted a little slower than sky but alot better ok maybe not for programs but free repairs and such things no cli charges which is what you'll get if you do get your box fixed then it packs in down the line and the 2nd card has to be active for 12 months (unless you got me theni just cancelled it)really alls we got from managment is you cant do this that or stuff him he's already a cust its the new ones we need. :)

8. MRW

MRW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Interesting use of punctuation and spelling!

With regards to having the telephone line connected, don't believe SKY when they say that it must be connected - we kept getting the same message about 'telephone line not connected' even when it was.

So, we uplugged it, and it has been unplugged for over 2 years...

9. explicitlyrics

explicitlyrics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    its different if you have 2 boxes though. Having one box isnt so bad, but having two means your neighbour can have the same full subscription as you but only pay half. Thus they need to be in the same house... thus they need to be connected to the telephone.

Having multiroom is the only time they care about the boxes being connected.

10. pmctbc

pmctbc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My thanks to davidcotton, crocodile, explicitlyrics, dsk19s & mrw for the tips and suggestions.

I have now found the answer to the problem. It turned out to be that the telephone connection between the digibox and the telephone point was the fault in both rooms. It seems that there is a difference between a telephone wire and a modem wire although both look and fit exactly the same. It is the modem wire that is required. (how these stopped working or got changed I do not know)

Judging by the amount of people who have looked at this thread it might be a common problem especially to the less technical like myself.

I hope this helps and could save the £65 cost of a visit by a sky engineer.