Telephone interview tommoro

jenic

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Due to the uncertain future of my current job at The Link i applied for a job at the orange shop this morning, i have been given a phone interview for tommoro.

I have only had 1 previous phone interview and it went really badly (it was for a call centre and i had no interest in the industry), so any advice would be appreciated.

Remember that you are selling yourself. Sound enthusiastic, impress them with all of the research you have (or will have) done on their products, and be very clear on emphasising your relevant experience and strengths. You have to persuade them to employ you over all of the other people that apply for these jobs. I'd suggest throwing in as many references to customers as possible too.

Good luck.

Have some notes about yourself written down and to hand - strengths, weaknesses (in a positive way), acheivments, why you are leaving your current job, why you want to work for orange etc.

Also, try to smile when you speak (when appropriate) - you can hear it in people's voices. Make sure you think about what you say before replying, literally just take an extra second to think it through.

Try and get some quantifiable achievements prepared, such as:

I increased sales of x from £1,000 to £3,000 per week, or
I increased sales of y by 50%.

Be prepared to state HOW you achieved the increases.

GW43 said:
Try and get some quantifiable achievements prepared, such as:

I increased sales of x from £1,000 to £3,000 per week, or
I increased sales of y by 50%.

Be prepared to state HOW you achieved the increases.

I cant lie, i am only working on Saturdays, at the moment it would take a genius to increase sales at The Link.

So you're looking for a job where you feel your contributions could have real benefit to the company :)

We use "competency" based interviewing here. Its very effective at weeding out liars!

The purpose of it is it effectively gets you to substantiate claims. Asking an open question e.g "what would you do if..........?" means nothing as you can say whatever you like whether you would or not.

The prupose is to for you to substantiate it e.g give me an example of....

Now they may or may not use it on your telephone interview but even if they don't use real examples to illustrate/answer they're questions; It'll give much more credibility.

Also (as you are doing) prepare for teh interview. Think about what skills/person are required for the job. Armed with this you will have some ideas what they may ask. As such you can think about examples to tell them. Like I incraesed sales...... etc

Fact is better than hypothetical

And keep calm, take a moment to think about what they are asking - nothing worse than getting an answer you didn't ask for. If you are unsure ask them to clairify.

Another "trick" often used by interviewers is silence. As the inerviewee you will feel bound to say something. I would imagine this is even worse over the phone! Not much you can do about it but rather than say anything, ask them if you have answered the previouis question to their satisfaction or would they like more detail

Oh and good luck

huntere said:
We use "competency" based interviewing here. Its very effective at weeding out liars!

The purpose of it is it effectively gets you to substantiate claims. Asking an open question e.g "what would you do if..........?" means nothing as you can say whatever you like whether you would or not.

The prupose is to for you to substantiate it e.g give me an example of....

Now they may or may not use it on your telephone interview but even if they don't use real examples to illustrate/answer they're questions; It'll give much more credibility.

Also (as you are doing) prepare for teh interview. Think about what skills/person are required for the job. Armed with this you will have some ideas what they may ask. As such you can think about examples to tell them. Like I incraesed sales...... etc

Fact is better than hypothetical

And keep calm, take a moment to think about what they are asking - nothing worse than getting an answer you didn't ask for. If you are unsure ask them to clairify.

Another "trick" often used by interviewers is silence. As the inerviewee you will feel bound to say something. I would imagine this is even worse over the phone! Not much you can do about it but rather than say anything, ask them if you have answered the previouis question to their satisfaction or would they like more detail

Oh and good luck

Thanks, What company do you work for?

if you had sales targets at the link and met them or beat them obviously that would be a pretty important thing to mention!

Oh and always stand up when making important calls...gives you more confidence

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom