1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Telephone connection for Sky +

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by paulcollins14, Sep 21, 2004.

1. paulcollins14

paulcollins14
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I am again looking at upgrading from sky box and noticed an offer for £149.00 which has tempted me. When I came to fill out the online form, one of the requirements was to have it connected to a phone line. I disconnected my existing box along time ago and its not practical to connect a new box either. So is that the end for me or is there a way around this problem ?

Thanks

2. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,617
    Depends on a couple of things ,

- are you keeping your old box with a mirror sub

if you are ,then both boxes will need connecting.Sky are fairly hot on this

- Are SKY fitting the box

Then you "have" to connect to the line for min 12 months.How hot they are on this ,I don't know.

Try a search , I've posted the section ,covering this ,from the SKY+ t&c's a couple of times now :lesson:

If you go to an independent supplier ,ie not SKY.Then you may not have to connect the phone

Good luck

JS

3. Barry.NI

Barry.NI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Paul,

My SKY+ became disconnected, for a period of time, without my knowledge, due to the phone socket developing a fault. I received a letter from SKY saying that if I did not reconnect the box to the phone line in the next seven days, I would lose my second box preferential rate.

4. Techno

Techno
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    If it's not practical because you don't have a phone, you're bolloxed, if it's because you can't easily run an extension lead you can buy wireless phone extensions - do a search and you'll find some stuff on it here.

5. sinbrad

sinbrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I upgraded to Sky+ earlier this year and went this route....

Bought my own "New" Sky+ box from a respected seller on ebay for 139.99, also bought a quad Lnb at the same time for 9.99, installed an extra length of coax from the Lnb to the digibox (otherwise only one input and no dual functions), phoned Sky and got them to pair my card with my new Sky+ box and that was that, no need to connect to the phoneline at all. Oh and also installed a new 80gb hard drive

6. Barry.NI

Barry.NI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Sinbrad,

I went along exactly the same route, installed my own Dish and quad lnb, ran the cables etc., and bought the boxes from Currys'. contacted sky by telephone, and activated the boxes. Still I was contacted when the phone line became disconnected, though the implied threat was that I would lose my second box cheap rate. You are still required to have a twelve month contract with SKY and it is written into the contract that it is connected to a phone line. If you can run co axial cable to the box, it is even simpler to run phone line cable at the same time, which can be connected into the phoneline after the Master box. If you have more than four pieces of equipment on the line, put in a REN amplifier.

The reason behind it is that the boxes and installation charges are heavily subsidised by the interactive Companies, who obviously hope you will buy their products. If you think about it, where else could you buy such a sophisticated piece of equipment, for £149.00, the hard disc alone costs £99.00 if bought separately, the true price is closer to £400.00.

I am a great fan of the SKY+ box, connecting it to a phone line seem to be no great chore, and as far as I can see costs nothing, apart rom a few pounds for a 100 metre roll of telephone wire!

7. sinbrad

sinbrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There is just one small difference and that is that you have two boxes and two subscriptions albeit subsidised by SKY. I have only one subscription to SKY and had already had my previous standard SKY box for more years than I can remember, so basically my twelve month contract had no ties as it had basically expired and by the contract after twelve months you are not legally bound to having the phone line connected. In your case becase you have the second digibox subsidesed by SKY then you have to have both boxes connected to the telephone line. When I suggested going your own route I should have stated that it was pointed towards people who already had their box for more than 12 months and wanted to upgrade to SKY+ without having the second box. Forgot to mention, 40gb for 99 pounds!!! You can get a 250gb hard drive for that now a days