1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tele optical out into new amp help :(

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Paul_GPvR, Sep 3, 2004.

1. Paul_GPvR

Paul_GPvR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi,

I have tele/dvd combi Samsung DW21G6VD. I'm using the digital optical out to feed the sound from the tele into my amp ive just bought (yam 450). However it only seems to pass the sound out through the optical output when playing a dvd. So if im watching tele the sound comes through the tele only :( i also noticed if you put an unoffical dvd/one burnt on a pc the sound comes through the tele only? Its like the tele decides what to pass through the optical output, or my amp doesnt like the signal or something??

This is the first AV Receiver amp ive ever bought so could be related to that!

Anyone got any ideas why??

Thanks,

Paul

2. Arcangel

Arcangel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

It's highly unlikely that the TV will convert the analogue TV sound internally and output it via the digital output which is why you're getting nothing going to the Yamaha. Does the TV have a pair of audio outputs (red and white phono sockets)? If so, you'd need to connect them to the Yamaha to hear your TV sound etc.

Not sure why copied DVD's aren't working though. Is the DVD player section set to output Bitstream for everything (Dolby/DTS)?

3. Paul_GPvR

Paul_GPvR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    hi,

cheers for reply. that makes sense.

So the tele cant turn the analogue tele signal into digital via the optical out. Tv hasnt got rca outputs. Its just got scarts, so guessing im going to need one of these http://www.tvcables.co.uk/cgi-bin/tvcables/PGV7544.html and feed the rca's from that into the Yam?

With regards to the dodgy dvd's, surly it will be the same case, theres no digital audio to pass out the optical output, prob because the disc has had the digital audio stripped off to squeeze on a disc, so looses a layer. As far as i know, just guessing out loud. Therefore it only goes out the combi tele's speakers because not digital. Yes it is setup to output bitstream etc.

Thanks,

Paul

4. Arcangel

Arcangel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes. That cable should do the trick. :)

To be honest I don't have much experience with DVD's burnt by PC's. Got the hooky versions of the original Star Wars trilogy but the sound is in Dolby Digital so no problems there. ;)