1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tekki

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by NeoBlade, Nov 22, 2002.

1. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This baby has just been shipped ^_^ It should arrive within 2-4 days ::fingers crossed::

Has anyone else ordered this game? (Steel Battalion if you want the US name). Also I can't find out if this game has LAN play or not so I'll have to have a lil search... I know it doesn't support online play but if it has LAN you can use it to play online via software.

So far about 5 items of mine have been shipped within the last week so it feels like I'm having some early xmas presents ^_^

2. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    is that the 1 with the huge control make sure you can fit it through the door mate:D

3. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It is indeed the one with the large controller. Click here if you haven't seen this baby yet ^_^

Look at the size of the controller compared to the Xbox for a good comparison. I really hope this game has LAN play either from the off or is enabled later on. Me and a mate have ordered Tekki and need to sort things out Mech to Mech ^_^

4. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    that is awsome how much did that cost?

5. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have paid £146 inc. shipping from Canada - DVDboxoffice.com. Its being shipped via DHL so should arrive within 2-4 days and you need to do a wire transfer to pay for it. I misread the email when they told me that 3 times! lol I re-ordered it though and was shipped today.

As a side note, a mate of mine has bought his from VGI for £250 inc. 24hr shipping.

As for the game itself its a Mech simulator so the learning curve is there. To actually start your mech (yep you do need to start this baby ^_^) you have to press three buttons in sequence to fire the engine then flip five switches to enable everything.

Controller has about 40+ buttons that light up with different colours depending on the commands but there is no force feedback. When you get hit all the lights flash up from one side to the other. I believe the left stick is used to look around and to turn and the right stick is for aiming purposes.

As for what the 3 foot pedals do alltogether I haven't got a clue ^_^ I assume one is to accelerate and reverse but I don't know what the third one is for... Maybe its a clutch <g>

Attention to detail is what makes this game IMO... There even a button to activate the screen wipers to clean off rain droplets or dirt. Really can't wait for this one ^_^

6. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    all round to neoblade house to play this beast;) will it come out over here?

7. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    hi neoblade the other pedal is a dodge pedal used with the left stick you dodge left & right.how hard you press the pedal determines how far left or right you dodge.also if your in 5th gear & press it you will jump forward or back if in reverse.

8. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    liverpool, Ah nice one... Very much like a strafe pedal. I would have replied sooner but my monitor just blew up >_< Midway through my sentace the screen just went blank and wouldn't power up so thats off to repair tomorrow. Lucky I have a spare monitor but its only 60Hz >_<

Before I was cut off I was commenting on the availability of Tekki in Europe. Chances are MS would help Capcom out if it were to come out since its more of a cult game than a mass market one. If it did arrive though it would probably only have one production run like in the USA... Which is why I ordered mine so quickly ^_^

Can't wait to play on this since my sub has arrived.

9. CodeThief

CodeThief

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Neo,

Sorry mate but Tekki is single player only :( the sequel when released will be Live! / LAN play I believe

Dave

10. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bummer >_< Still it'll be a fun game to play regardless of multiplayer options. All I need to do now is to find/build a desk for this controller...

11. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    neoblade there are 3 more game to come soon for use with that controller.just aswel after the money you spent.also gamespot just give 7.3 let us know what you think of it when you have played it you lucky bugger.

12. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah I read the gamespot review and I was like... Meh fair enough. As long as its a sim then its fine.

http://www.ntsc-uk.com/MainContent/Xbox/Tekki/Tekki.htm

Also has a review which is slightly more uplifting to me. I'll be sure to give a full report and give it a good run in 5.1 with my new sub. Only a few more days left....!!! ^_^

13. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All I can say is... YEAH BABY! ^_^

This sucka arrived at noon but I had to go xmas shopping soon after >_< Came back late and then had to entertain the relatives so I haven't been able to have a good go. I'll post my initial impressions sometime in the afternoon or evening after work. Its game on baby ^_^

14. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,202
    Let me know if its a bobby dazzler man and I'll get my order off.
    Sheeet even the box gets me going!

15. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    come on neoblade try to drag your self away for 5mins & tell us what it`s like :D

16. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    lol Sorry guys ^_^ I've been pre-occupied with Metroid Prime, Tekki and Suikoden III.

Since this thread is on Tekki I'll give my first impressions but first I'd like to say that I haven't been able to clock up the hours in this game yet due to work and the fact that I haven't got a desk for this damn controller >_<

Once you boot up the game and calibrated the joystick you are greeted with basically... Still screens done without any real style imo. In Gamespot they said it was like manga but its far from the truth. Basically its well tacky for a game like this not to even have human 3D models for the breifing but just still frames. No doubt I skipped all of this quickly and jumped in the Mech ^_^

The lights start to flash on the controller and at that point my dad started watching me play lol. First the button to close the hatch flashed, then ignition... A menu then popped up on your HUD to tell you to flip the switches for oxygen supply, fuel etc. Then the magical Start button flashes. I pressed Start and I stalled the mech >_<

I think you need to put it into gear and then press/hold start to get the ball rolling. After furious attempts to get the Mech started while the hanger opened, exposing me to enemy fire I got the baby started and off I went. And no I did not leave the gearstick on reverse >_<

The right joystick controls the right arm of the mech while the left joystick controls turning... IMO it would have been better if the left joystick has the full axis but instead it only has the horizontal axis available. Looking around is controlled via the hat and it does take time to get used to (as I didn't invert the controls for the hat).

Anyways the feeling of controlling a massive mech is spot on as are the sounds. I was locking onto enemies and fireing missiles while returning fire with my machine gun all with the right stick while dodging by pressing the "clutch" pedal and turning left or right. For such a massive mech though dodging is done with speed and theres no apparent lag after. At this point in time the graphics do need more attention from me.

The perspective is just like from a battle HUD with scanlines and interference when hit. You have the radar at the top and another viewpoint at the bottom of the screen. Detail is pretty good so far since I've only done the first two missions and I still love washing my screen after a good fight ^_^

Gameplay wise I haven't invested enough time to this or my other newly arrived games due to work and what-not but this is really down my street. I haven't done many missions so instead I was just walking around in my mech causing havoc and getting used to the controls and the ability of the mech. Much like how one would play GTA3 to cause mayhem than to do the missions ^_^

You will require an hour or more to really tie down the controls though so everything feels natural so in battle you'll never be flustered. Once you get used to it though you really do feel like you are one with the Mech and thats when the fun really begins.

I'll come back in a few days time to give a brief mission outline and the depth that should be found in the game. Until then, LET ME PLAY! <g> ^_^

17. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    hi mr swithchbox:D looks like you got too much at once:rolleyes: i`ve been trying to find out if this game will be coming out over here.the official xbox mag say it will be coming out in feb 2003 so not too long to wait. i hope you like it when you`ve played it more.

18. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    hi mr swithchbox:D looks like you got too much at once:rolleyes: i`ve been trying to find out if this game will be coming out over here.the official xbox mag say it will be coming out in feb 2003 so not too long to wait. i hope you like it when you`ve played it more.

19. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    don`t know why it posted twice :confused:

20. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    lol I just woke up so I'm rather suspectable to typos and mistakes ^_^ Late gaming isn't good for you I'd say >_< The posting thing also happened to me but I deleted the 2nd msg... I asl got freaked out as I wrote a long reply then the browser timed out. I went back and all of my text was gone! Not my idea of fun...

Chances are that it will arrive over in Europe soon but I'm sure it'll cost £199.99. I paid £150 inc.shipping and guess what... No customs charge! ^_^ Well happy.