Quantcast

Tefal ActiFry - Any Good ?

Paree

Standard Member
I got mine on Wednesday at Comet for £124 I got them to do it for the same price as their website, in the shop it was £149.99, I'm doing roast potatoes tonight and chips on Saturday will let you know how I get on:)

K

kiptower

they are catching fire !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

watchdog report says there should be a product recall after lab tests

get on iplayer and check out monday eve's watchdog

also in next weeks MAKRO mail £99 + VAT

eric pisch

Novice Member
Mines been fine, used at least 4 times a week :thumbsup:

It is important to check and clean the filter each time, I stoped using dry herbs as they blow about and clog the filter.

fizzi

Novice Member
Mines been fine, used at least 4 times a week :thumbsup:

It is important to check and clean the filter each time, I stoped using dry herbs as they blow about and clog the filter.
You don't need to stop using dried herbs. Just put them into the little green plastic oil spoon before you measure out your oil and mix them in, then pour over as usual.

Ditto for things like curry powder for curry flavoured chips.

I've had not problems with my Actifry and it is used at least 4 or 5 times per week - and not just for chips. The only thing I've seem coming from it occasionally is steam.

eric pisch

Novice Member
You don't need to stop using dried herbs. Just put them into the little green plastic oil spoon before you measure out your oil and mix them in, then pour over as usual.

Ditto for things like curry powder for curry flavoured chips.

I've had not problems with my Actifry and it is used at least 4 or 5 times per week - and not just for chips. The only thing I've seem coming from it occasionally is steam.
great idea

it is worth watching the watchdog on bbc iplayer, its about the last 15-20% of the show

the problem is the fan stops and they didnt include a speed sensor to kill the heating element, however the fan etc are fire retardant plastic so you only end up with some smoke, would be hard for it to burn your house down.

now that I am aware of it I will keep an eye on the unit, and not go out and leave it on, like anyone would go out or not keep an eye on a deep fat fryer (i hope). Its worth the risk as this is the best gadget i have bought in the last 10 years, ok second to my BD/60 Kuro setup :p as its Kung Fu Panda and Hellboy II on BD tonight :)

fizzi

Novice Member
I watched the Watchdog link earlier after it was pointed out. I tend however to treat all these things with a pinch of salt (no pun intended).

Of all the many sold, there are bound to be a few that have a problem of some sort. And would Tefal openly admit there was a design fault or dangerous problem of some sort given the huge amount of refunds or exchanges tney would suddenly have to undertake?

We only ever hear about the problem ones - not the thousands that are problem free.

However, I'll certainly be keeping a closer eye on mine now I'm aware of the potential problem.

fizzi

Novice Member
I don't believe it! (As some one on TV was famous for saying).

My Actifry packed up tonight!

OH switched it on and it made an awful noise before emitting sparks out the back.:eek: Fortunately no harm done other than to the Actifry which is now defunct and has black char marks on the grey casing and smells horrible.

So...

I rang Lakeland - who we purchased from. They offered an immediate refund or replacement. They have been aware of the problem since June and in fact took the item off the shelves until Tefal sorted the problem. Tefal have apparantly updated something in the Actifry to prevent the problem from happening again so Lakeland are back to selling them.

As I have been reassured something has been done by Tefal to stop it happening again, and as I am aware of previous excellent customer service from Lakeland I have opted for a replacement in the knowledge I can still get my money back if there are any further problems. I also love the Actifry.

Whilst speaking to Lakeland, the lady there took my serial number (on the bottom line of the label underneath), and when asked if she could tell me if there is a rogue batch which could be identified from serial numbers, she said she was not aware of a rogue batch.

She was also surprised Tefal had not recalled the product - however, if there is no rogue batch of serial numbers a recall would involve many thousands. She said only 0.4% of all sales of the Actifry (I assume she means sales from Lakeland) have had this problem.

She stated that Tefal had been in close touch with Trading Standards also and went on to also say the Actifry will not catch fire as it is within fire retardant casing. However, if sparks emit from it like mine did tonight, clearly they could catch something nearby and start a fire.

Helplines -for anyone worried -

Lakeland (obviously if you bought from them) 015394 88100

Tefal - 0800 055 3678 or for those from ROI 01 677 4003

Statement on Tefal website about the Actifry at

Tefal - ActiFry safety information

AlanT1

Yes that's true.

Even if you go down to the chippy the quality of the chips you get is usually down to the potatoes used.

If the chipped potatoes have been dried well - and according to some owners any final drying can be carried out in the Actifry itself before adding any oil for cooking them - then they'll probably cook OK regardless of which spuds are used.

Am I the only one having cooking problems?

My fresh chips slowly get crushed and end up about half the size. Also roast potatoes end in the same way if not worst. It cooks frozen chips perfect.

As for fresh or frozen chicken nuggets, the same problem.

Am I doing something wrong?:)

eric pisch

Novice Member
Am I the only one having cooking problems?

My fresh chips slowly get crushed and end up about half the size. Also roast potatoes end in the same way if not worst. It cooks frozen chips perfect.

As for fresh or frozen chicken nuggets, the same problem.

Am I doing something wrong?:)
I would expect the chips to loose about 50% of there weight due to the evaporation of water in the spuds.

Im not sure how the chips could get crushed?

I dry mine in a tea towel before use (use mavis piper spuds) and there all chipped to 8mm with one of these Kitchen Craft Potato Chipper KCBB882: Amazon.co.uk: Kitchen & Home

I make 1kg of chips dried and 8mm which cook in 35 mins and are brilliant

Jenn

Novice Member
Hi everyone, sorry if this has been mentioned earlier in the thread but is there any "fried" smell in the house after using the ActiFry as you usually do with standard deep fat friers?

eric pisch

Novice Member
Hi everyone, sorry if this has been mentioned earlier in the thread but is there any "fried" smell in the house after using the ActiFry as you usually do with standard deep fat friers?
no none

used mine last night, came down this morning to make a cuppa it was still on the side unwashed no smell at all.

kissag

Standard Member
Greetings,

We have no problems whatsoever, our Actifry has become one of the most used appliances in our kitchen, we cook, chips, chops, chicken pieces, bacon, sausages, mushrooms, onions, small roast potatoes, parsnips and carrots.

A great machine!!

Regards,

Peter

Buspassjock

Standard Member
They are very good machines but have a few problems. After 6 months the lugs that hold the lid down broke and I had to get a replacement from Tefal which took about two weeks. After 8 months the motor burned out. Two loud pops followed by the smell or burning wiring. Costco require you to return the instruction booklet and cookery book with the machine before they give a refund so hold on to all the paperwork!

Beany31

Distinguished Member
I work at Lakeland, and the Actifry is quite a steady seller, I think it's £119.00 including VAT atm. And if you do get it from Lakeland and have a fault with it, they will sort it out for you ASAP.