1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Teenagers on motorbikes - what's the solution ?

Discussion in 'Motoring' started by HMHB, Jun 3, 2005.

1. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,884
    Every time I go walking these days it seems that there are teenagers (and some younger) kids on motorbikes on country paths and especially on the old reclaimed pit tips around here that are supposed to be for walking and wildlife. I can see this leading to big trouble between the youngsters and the walkers/fishermen so was wondering what you all think should be done ?
    I've always wanted lottery money to be used to set up somewhere with off-road motorbike facilities for all towns, out of the way of housing so you are not constantly getting that sound of a giant meat fly from the nearby fields ! If this was done properly and was stocked with some bikes, had someone in charge of it who could teach the kids about maintenance and about safety I'm sure it could keep a lot of them out of trouble over the school holidays. Lets face it, kids these days need far more stimulation and excitement than in my day :)

2. mrtbag

mrtbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +395
    There is a footpath that runs along my back backgarden, into a new housing estate. Instead of coming out of the roads in the estate onto the main road (a 2 minute journey) the teeny bikers race down the footpath (30 second journey). The footpath is often used by younger kids playing on their tricycles etc, and parents walking their kids to school. The council put up staggered barriers, but placed them so there is still room for a motorbike to get by. :rolleyes:

3. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I agree that encouraging them to do this in safe supervised areas would be preferable & I would rather see lottery money spent on providing "sport" for youngsters than some of the things it is spent on.

As for dealing with the problem on footways etc there is the offence of riding off road under sec 34 Road Traffic Act 1988

A person commits an offence if without lawful authority drives a mechanically propelled vehicle:

* on to any common land, moorland or land of any other description, not being land forming part of a road

or

* on any road being a footpath, bridleway or restricted byway

Police then have the power to seize the vehicle using powers under Sec 59 of Police Reform Act 2002 if the offender has been previously warned in the last 12 months.

4. Setenza

Setenza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    Fine copper wire strung between poles at head hight can often help.

5. Brolac

Brolac
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This seems a pretty common source of irritation nowdays,and it doesn't help
    when the kids hear and see adults doing it too!
    What we have just outside our town is an unused piece of land down a
    dipping, adults have prepared it to resemble a trial/speedway track.
    I guess this was made to encourage the kids to play on their bikes away from the town,but I believe this may have backfired to a certain extent due to the noise from bikes used after dark in the built up areas still.

Brolac

6. Zone

Zone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,177
    I remember some silly old **** doing that on a old disused railway banking when I was a kid, stringing it between two trees, seriously hurt a kid, what a prat, luckily it wasn't me who was the first one down there that day :devil:

7. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,802
    We used to take my mates bikes down to a disused bit of beach. What a laugh.....top summer fun. Until of course we learnt that sand and oil and sea water are not good for chains.......doh!

G

8. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    ban motorcyclists from wearing hooded tops. :rolleyes:

9. oxygenuk

oxygenuk
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    kick them off

10. Dr Diversity

Dr Diversity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you ever see the results of such a trick you would withdraw your post...:(

11. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Teenagers on motorbikes - what's the solution ?

Stingers.

12. Brolac

Brolac
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :nono: :D

While driving to work this morning some **** came right up behind me on a motorbike, and I mean within 3 or 4 feet of my rear bumper on the right hand corner of it.He overtook and caught up to the artic lorry,the next vehicle along,and did the same to that.

I guess he won't live too long.

Hospital staff call them Bike doners :suicide:

13. RMCF

RMCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +630
    Snipers ??

14. Member 55145

Member 55145
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,489
    you know one person did do that wire thing a few years ago but it was barbed wire down a country lane, it actually killed the person on the bike, it was all over the national news at the time.

Yes they are pains in the ass, but they dont deserve that. talk to your local police and they will set up surveillance to catch them at it, if it REALLY is a dangerous problem they may even set up an ANPR unit for a short while (Tho they may not depending on funds)

15. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi,

For me the answer would be either:

- Stick metal girder into wheel of moving motorbike, so kid goes arse over elbow! :devil:, or...

- kids under motorbikes, rather than on them! :clap:

They're some scummychav kids around my area who like riding around on those mini-motorbikes that are aimed at teenagers! The machines don't half make a noise, and they do this for two hours or so every Friday and Saturday night, the :censored:! :mad:

No one under 18 should be allowed to use a motorbike, except to either learn how to ride it, or to go from a-to-b! What is it with Chav scum kids, that everything they do has to be used to annoy (and/or intimidate) people?!

Pooch

16. rhoamish

rhoamish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Perhaps we should go the French route, and make them available at a younger age? They won't need to skulk about on footpaths and allotments then.

Also, this would allow them to be educated about proper use etc. If they are licensed, they would perhaps be more careful, if it was likely to affect a full licence in future years.

And a couple of scrambling courses would be good, too. Unfortunately in the South East, most patches of grass big enough for a bit of fun on a bike will be built on by Prescott shortly. Can't we string a wire between his Jags?

17. Member 55145

Member 55145
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,489
    A good idea would be to BAN the use of bikes without a fully qualified person accompanying you or you had a full license, like they do with cars.

I hate all these fat people on mopeds going to work not knowing what they are doing, a bit of exercise wouldnt hurt them.

My friend who does this has had his bike for over 3 years now i think, he took his test last year an failed because he almost caused an accident, but he is still allowed to carry on using it on his merry way, is it me or does that just not seem right? traffic laws should apply for EVERYONE, esspecially numpty bikers who havent got a license on their 50cc mopeds weaving in and out of traffic

18. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,802
    I thought you were only allowed to ride a bike on an L plate for 2yrs with no full licence and after tha point you lost your provisional.....specifically to stop folk from doing what you way your mate does.

Gordon

19. Member 55145

Member 55145
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,489
    thats what i thought too, but he is still doing it, and he told me that he is still legally on the road, I think they should just stop the stupid CBT altogether. If you want to drive on the road YOU MUST have a license, If you want to drive off road, you must own the land or have permission(Which it is anyway)

20. minimad

minimad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As far as the riding on the road goes, you can get a provisional licence, do the CBT and then ride for up to two years without doing a test of any form.

After two years, you just pay yer money and redo the CBT. You're then able to ride for a further two years.

I did my CBT two weeks ago, one day's instruction and then I was allowed out on the road all on my todd on a bike I'd never ridden before.

That's better than the car licence where a complete novice goes straight out on the road (albeit with an examiner), but I would prefer to see a two or three day CBT under instruction.

As far as the off-road bit goes, we don't get much trouble with it round my way, but I would really like to see more off-road areas as suggested and would be willing to put time into it too!

21. Dr Diversity

Dr Diversity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How about introducing ID cards: then put a slot in the petrol pump requiring you to prove your age before tanking up?

</Tongue in cheek>

22. Tadpole

Tadpole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi, i was wondering if anyone can tell me wat the laws are on riding a moped around a local park?

23. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    If it is a park , there will be probably be council by-laws forbidding it & there is an offence under Sec 34 Road Traffic Act 1988 (see my previous post on page 1 of this thread)

24. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,384
    there's plenty of places for kids to ride their bikes off road near me, we all did it when we were kids.... but the scum-youth of today take pleasure only in doing things they are not allowed to do, things that NONE of us are allowed to do..... it all goes back to the ban-slapping argument....
    they do what they like because they KNOW it pisses people off and they KNOW they will get definitely away with it.... :lesson:

If you built a track for them to use, they would only go ride somewhere else, simply because the track is where they are supposed to ride their bikes..

and the 17year olds legally riding mopeds are the worst by far...
    the ones around here now 'have a laugh' by riding 3 abreast at 5mph along main roads.... and the police as always, do absolutely nothing about it.
    It's not going to be long before somebody drives a 4x4 over a gang of them, 3 mths tops is my prediction. and it's probably going to be me. :rolleyes:

'Girders in front wheels' is the only sensible suggestion so far IMHO. :devil:

there's no point trying anything more complicated than simple violence, as they're basically all too simple to understand anyway.

25. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I trust that is tongue in cheek.

I understand your frustration but criminal acts of a violent nature will solve little.
    I agree that more could be done Policing the problem, but that would mean taking resources from elsewhere to address the problem. With most areas resources already stretched that is no easy task without further investment.

If "the community" as a whole voices what "their" concerns are to the local force, then the local force should be doing what they can to address that. Lone voices fair less well.

The buzz words in modern policing after all are "community, partnership, enagage, dialogue, problem solving, together etc"

26. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,384
    yeah.. just on a bit of a rant there..;)

'ferral-kids on mopeds' is second only to 'pissheads pissing' in my all time list of 'things i'd rather die than have to live with'... :mad: :D

all we need next is a 'pisshead kids on mopeds' thread..... :D

27. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,384
    our local force have given up basically Vonhosen. they don't do anything anymore, however many people call, whatever the nature/seriousness of the offence.

4 times recently I've reported kids riding into our car-park, half the time without helmets, and dumping (stolen?) bikes in our garages which carry neither tax discs, or even reg plates in some cases... the police have yet to turn up so far. me and one of the neighbours have taken to removing the bikes ourselves these days..... :(

28. oxygenuk

oxygenuk
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    i got a kinda similar situation round where i live now.

a bloody estate in essex which is full of chavs, skets and other weirdo's

anarf pisses me off :rolleyes: :( :mad:.

and bass thumping out of cars that vibrates my walls 50ft higher really pisses me off too.

i never thought living on an estate would be this bad, and we only been living here 5-7 months :rolleyes: :(

29. JonnyConcrete

JonnyConcrete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    Its simple

A few fields here and there but no!!!!!

Its all moan moan moan ban em hang em blah blah blah

I hope the next kid that gets his bike took off him comes and vandalisers your home cos hes bored.

I have always wanted an off road bike but there is absolutely nowhere to take em when your young, now I have 1 I have to travel an hour away to a disused quarry which is ok for me but the kids around my estate cant get there so they go up and down the main road and those new 110s are really load and anoying but I cant blame em, if they had a track or a field around here im sure they would prefer that than a boreing straight road.

30. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,384
    just got back from school have we ??? :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: