• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

teenager fined for swearing

Ayub

Distinguished Member
i heard him on radio 2 just now and tbh i think anyone who uses vulgar language in public should be " fined". As should people who spit and as who throw chewing gun on the pavment/spit it out.

Razor

Distinguished Member
Ayub said:
i heard him on radio 2 just now and tbh i think anyone who uses vulgar language in public should be " fined".

I take it you havent been to Ireland. On my first visit to Ireland (went to meet the missus family) I was on my best behaviour, I watched my P's & Q's etc.

I noticed that every other word was [email protected]%k. It seems like its just part of the locals every day language. :)

MrBlofeldt

Banned
This is absolutely ridiculous, being fined for swearing in public... !?!?!?

What about all those TV programmes with bad language, for instance Shameless ?!?!?!

Does that mean the police need to pop down to the TV studios and fine every one on the set ?

It would seem the Law is a feckin' ass !

oh no, I've just used a sweary.... please don't fine me !

Jenn

Distinguished Member
I just find this ridiculous.

Although I don't think swearing is a good thing, I believe I should be free to swear if I want to. As far as I know the F word isn't illegal and is commonly used by MANY people. Using it doesn't mean you're instantly going to throw eggs at people's windows and spray paint your neighbours cars.

If we start getting fines for using "offensive" words, where do we draw the line? What if my neighbour thinks calling girls "chicks" is offensive to women (a bit extreme but you see my point)?

Ian J

Banned
I think that it's outrageous to fine someone for not being articulate enough to string a few words together without a profanity in the middle.

Nick_UK

Banned
deanym said:
what about freedom of speech?

What about it ? There is no freedom of speech in this country, and there never has been. It's a myth.

Reepicheep

I think a little common sense is called for.

It all depends on location, circumstances.
If you are in a public place with young children, families then you should control your language. But in other locations - in pubs, and open space where normal conversation level speech can't be over heard then no problem.

Freedom of speech is about what you are allowed to talk about not what words you use to express yourself. With freedom comes responsibility!

Xan

Spot on Phil,
Under the Public Order Act he would have been warned about his language (probably more than once) before police issued him with a fixed penalty notice, no one wants to hear people using foul and abusive language in a public place, imagine if you were walking down the street with your young children and they heard this language, how would you feel then???

Bat-man

Walker, from Deal, said swearing was a normal part of the way he talked with his friends.
I'll back the Police all the way on this one. I am sick and tired of being subjected to that kind of language.

Ian J

Banned
Phil Hinton said:
Looks again like the media trying to make something out of nothing and maybe hiding the full facts.

When have the media ever let the truth get in the way of a good story

stevegreen

Distinguished Member
deanym said:
Fair enough if he was shouting at the WPC in a abusive fashion, but in a private conversation - a bit heavy!

Absolutely agree, apart from the 'bit heavy' comment. In my mind it's a total farce.

So are we now to assume that certain word are considered offensive by the Police. I'd like to see a list, I'd like to know who decides, I'd like to know what parameters exist to say where, when and how one should not 'swear'

It's an absolute joke and If it had happened to me in the way it has been reported I would take the fine to the courts and waste tax payers money in a hearing to defend my rights! :lesson:

SanPedro

apparently (according to his story on R2) he was walking through a local park with his mates and wasn't causing any bother.

The policewoman (alledgedly) asked him to mind his language and then changed her mind and fined him.

There was no suggestion he was abusing anybody else, just talking to his mates. Sounds ludicrous to me.

Our office can be blue with language on occasions, but I don't like hearing it in public places like shopping centres (with kids around).

But this episode seems wholly heavy handed.

But I agree about fines for spitting and gum disposal. Perpetrators should be made to lick it up.

Member 55145

Distinguished Member
I have one word for you "context"

whos side of the story do we have? a respectable(or maybe not) police womans? or a group of lads who use swearing in usual conversation?

obviously the press havents and wont talk to the PC because they are trying to make a certain side shine in a bad light.

casual swearing i dont mind, unless its around children, at work or other respectable places. who said this kid didnt swear at the PC? i noticed how they added the little touch that he was a youth worker lol.... talk about a bunch of **** stirring *******

also no one has taken into account his previous history have they?

Nick_UK

Banned
JagoPlasma said:
I have one word for you "context"

I have another one - "attitude". I'm sure that given the amount of paperwork that the average PC has to do during the day, they will only create more for themselves if provoked. I'm sure that no action would have been taken if the guy had apologised for his actions - we can only conclude that his attitude was all wrong.

scouse

i've always seen swearing as a very peculiar thing tbh. Surely the context in which the swear word is said derives the meaning.

for example, if i am screaming at my girlfriend in a row and use a swear word at her that is much more serious, in my view, than if i say the word in normal conversation. (with the result being different also, me minus a girlfriend for the former :rotfl: )

The prevalence of swearing in media, in books etc must have an affect in desensitising the younger generation so that they become words like any other to use in normal conversation. I think this must result with swear words only becoming offensive when their context and delivery are analysed.

Ian J

Banned
Chris Lamle said:
There was no suggestion he was abusing anybody else, just talking to his mates. Sounds ludicrous to me.

I wonder how the media define "talking". Was it talking as in chatting to friends or was it actually "shouting" as these friends were a distance away

Miyazaki

Distinguished Member
Bat-man said:
I'll back the Police all the way on this one. I am sick and tired of being subjected to that kind of language.
stop getting your old fella out in public then! :eek: :rotfl:

KoThreads

I feel quite out of place where I live, a bit of a commoner thrown into a well-to-do area, yet everyone round here talks to me and everyone swears. The posh women around here can more than give me a run for my money, even using the C word which I don't use.

I think it's as Razor said, it's now just part of everyday language,

The only thing I hate is my next door neighbours children, boys 11 and 14 F and C all the time and their parents shout at them the same so how can you blame them. And a couple I know with 3 girls 11,12 and 14 who F in front of everyone. I don't think it's clever for kids but I used to F and blind when I was that age but never in front of adults.

And I agree with Nick_UK. I don't think we have much freedom of speech anymore.

overkill

Distinguished Member
Ian J said:
I think that it's outrageous to fine someone for not being articulate enough to string a few words together without a profanity in the middle.
.............that almost slipped by me! :D Nice one Ian.

la gran siete

Distinguished Member
its all relative anyway, words considered highly offensive by Victorinas were very common usage back in he middle ages there was a lane in london full of prostitutes that was named after the female pudenda. Heaven help you if you used Gods name in vain though:eek:

swanny78

****y bo**ox, fu**wit, sl*g,

Thats my tuppence...:D

for any children reading that Cooty, Bottox, Fun twit, Slug. :lesson:

Phew just got off a fixed penalty fine. :rolleyes:

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom