Teenage kids - How do they obtain music?

Chadford

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
...coming from the vinyl era and not having kids I was just wondering how most teenagers get their music nowadays? e.g. Vinyl, CD, download, illegal download, spotify, etc...

Is the CD on it's way out?

...coming from the vinyl era and not having kids I was just wondering how most teenagers get their music nowadays? e.g. Vinyl, CD, download, illegal download, spotify, etc...

Downloads.

Although, HMV is always rammed with kids with CD's in their hands.

Download i would suspect. itunes for the goody too shoes and torrents for the bad boys.

torrents most likely now that pocket money has been cut back in these credit crunch times...:D

"Limewire at my mates house" according to my friends 14yo son. he's not allowed it in his own.

You call that rubbish they listen to music?

Sorry just trying to match the old git stereotype!

mine seems to use a collective method. 4 or 5 of them go to HMV, they buy a CD each and then they troop round each others houses burning them all onto their computers. So they end up with a load of music for the price of one CD

from my knowledge downloading, not sure if Limewire is still going but a few years back it was huge for just downloading songs in the charts etc..
i tend to download off itunes, occasionally buy a cd i really want or sometimes torrents :blush:

this post makes me sound like im 14 :rotfl: im not

mine seems to use a collective method. 4 or 5 of them go to HMV, they buy a CD each and then they troop round each others houses burning them all onto their computers. So they end up with a load of music for the price of one CD

That's no more legal than just downloading from torrent's etc.. though really

My kids do it a similar way to yours though. Generally they take it in turns to buy the CD and the rest of their 'gang' then rip a copy.

any legal downloads generally come from Amazon as none of my machines are infected with iTunes.

Last edited:
That's no more legal than just downloading from torrent's etc.. though really

My kids do it a similar way to yours though. Generally they take it in turns to buy the CD and the rest of their 'gang' then rip a copy.

any legal downloads generally come from Amazon as none of my machines are infected with iTunes.

what do you use?

Explorer for music file management ;) and PS3's for streamed FLAC playback in the house. Kids don't have ipod's... just mobile's with SD cards for their music.

I rip my CD's to FLAC with EAC.

ah fair enough, i use an iPod and iPhone, cant really avoid itunes unfortunately.

been thinking of looking into doing something similar to that with my ps3 soon however

Most people I know download (legally and/or illegally) but some people I know still spend a huge amount of money on CDs, personally I use Spotify a lot lately to listen to stuff, I find myself listening to the radio in the car and I often jump music channels on TV when at home, I've not bought or downloaded an album for about 2 months (though, I'm not a teenager any more :(), but when I was I used to buy and download :thumbsup:

Also avoid anything Apple related, foobar instead of iTunes and my folder structure is perfect which means I don't need something to attempt to manage that for me.

I used to use websites such as Last.fm to find artist similar to the CD's I had, I then downloaded (torrents) albums by that artist to see if I liked a range of their stuff - if I did, I bought the album.

I now use a similar method but use Spotify in place of Last.fm and downloading illegally.

Although I know that torrenting CD's is illegal and I'm not justifying it, I have bought far more CD's than I ever would have by downloading stuff beforehand.

I've known a number of Yoofs (due to various girlfriends) and it seems to be Limewire with the parents not giving a toss. :(

I've known a number of Yoofs (due to various girlfriends) and it seems to be Limewire with the parents not giving a toss. :(

in all fairness if the child does it in a way that the parents dotn realise its going on its hardly the parents fault sometimes, these days most kids are more computer handy than their parents

Limewire is still very popular, most people don't understand how to use torrents and wounder why iTunes doesn't like the .torrent file.

I fall into the teenager group (17) and buy my music legit, CDs online or from a store (eg HMV) though if it was cheaper would buy it from amazon or somewhere and download it from them (my friend has bought an album over my house on amazon and downloaded it while he had no computer)

As a matter of fact I was in HMV in my free looking at CDs but realised the HMV site was cheaper on some and play.com/amazon.co.uk were cheaper on others

And no, im not the apparent stereotypical teen that does everything while holding someone at knifepoint

Download i would suspect. itunes for the goody too shoes and torrents for the bad boys.

Hardly any kids actually pay for music. Those that do are in the minority and are met with bewilderment by the others.

17 here, all (mostly) legal for me

CDs for the stuff I really want most of the time, or the occassional impulse buys when I'm feeling rich, otherwise itunes. I mainly use itunes for the odd song though, like if I want to learn how to play one (guitar).

...I may have taken a trip to my local library a few times though, £1 per CD, PC at home, no dodgy downloads (all of my mates have had some kind of virus at some point)...

I think you'll find that more teenagers (unless you're talking about young teenagers) get it legally than you think, I only know a handful of people who download music illegally, and they're the techie bunch, everyone else is legal.

When I was a teenager I used to buy my music on CD's. Some weeks I'd buy 3-4albums. Downloading music wasn't an option on the 56k connection. Though when my mate got broadband at a whoping 125k we'd download the odd song here and there and make a mix CD.

Now though I still buy my CD's, though use amazon and just buy them second hand or through shops on their. I do download the odd album that I can't find on there or is more expensive than I'm willing to pay. And I gotta say the fact that I can have an album in less than 5minutes at good quality is damn tempting!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom