Techy question - Pee'd on media box - solutions? Bodges?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by BillBlank, Aug 2, 2006.

1. BillBlank

BillBlank
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks to my wifes beloved cats I am now the proud owner of a px60 courtesy of the wife and a dead & smelly Techwood twp4210. A situation that at first was annoying but having seen the difference between the two displays now has me feeding the little darlings steak by way of thank you's.

I am however left with a defunct 42" screen and to be frank I have no desire to pay out £500 (as much as I paid for it in the first place) to mastercare for a new media box to get it up and running. After all, no one would really want to give the Dixons group of companies money now would they?

I have in mind a bodge involving attaching a component or scart board and jury rigging something from the screens remote sensors output to the power supply relay to kick it into life. I would even be happy with having to switch it on and off at the plug. Maybe using the control signal from the scart connection even? So that when I switch on the freeview box/dvd player it does the same for the telly.

How would I go about investigating which pin does what on the connection between the box and the screen? Send a signal of similar strength and duration to the media box's output to each pin in turn somehow? Until it clicks and grunts into life.

I've been buggering about with PC's for years and have a rudimentary grasp of how not to kill myself or equipment but to be frank it's either this or the skip for the screen so if I kill it no great loss.

Any thoughts or suggestions? I wouldn't mind a "free" 42" monitor :)

2. BillBlank

BillBlank
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    bump for the morning crowd

Edit to clarify: Home contents does not cover pet damage.:(

I've been a good boy and read the techwood threads, seems like if it wasn't the cats then something else would have killed it. Hohum, £500 odd for eighteen months of big screen telly could be worse. When I offered the wife the options for replacement, 32" crt, cheapy 42" again or a nice screen she'd been won over by it and plumped for a £1500 replacement budget. I love my wife. A lot.

It's got so bad in our house that she's replaced my DVD and VCR, my amp and may well have to replace or recone my floorstanders. Paper cones and wee don't mix.

It only took the cats recieving two threatening letters and a korean cookbook in the kitchen before replacements were ordered.

3. PlasmaVirgin

PlasmaVirgin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +242
    Jeez man - those Techwood media boxes really take the pi55.

:rotfl:

Sorry.

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    Hi Bill the media box sends DVI-D or VGA to the screen depending on the model it may be possible to rig it to work without the media (from a PC with RS232 control is most likely) To assist i would either need a bit of time to play and invesigate or lots of pics and detailed info. Your best bet may be either an insurance claim for "PET Damage" if you havent already or eba it in the hope some one has a Techwood with a good media box and kanckered screen.

There has ben quite some dicussion over the various techwood models i suggest you search for the model number and see

this may help http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140080&highlight=twp4210

5. BillBlank

BillBlank
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    And so you should be.

I warn you though, beware the power of Karma. A friend with a much nicer set up than mine laughed. The next day his good lady's pair of kittens decided component leads made great chew toys. :rotfl:

The little sods are co ordinating their attacks, it's a conspiracy I tell you. *Bill dons tinfoil hat and runs to hide under bed*

Cheers Dragon, PM to you with more silly questions, the first of many.