Techy question, Denon 2800MK2 pickup assembly ??

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by loftfuton, Dec 7, 2004.

1. loftfuton

loftfuton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi

Can anyone give me any general info on what the pickup assembly of a dvd player does ??

My 2800 assembly was changed as the machine refused to recognise most dvd's I have (it would only play USA tv seriese and refused to play feature films or British tv shows)

Now although it now recognises all DVD's, the 'repaired' machine freezes after about an hours playing, and I've now got jagged edges to lines that I thought was a characteristic of interlaced picture rather than progressive that the machine says it is outputing. Further the blacks look washed out with no detail - no pj settings have been changed. After a new pickup assembly installation does the player need picture realignment ?? - could the poor blacks be a gamma issue ??

Finally a real techy question - the assembly was replaced "with new type 1200R" - anyone know how this compares with the original in the 2800MK2??

Thanks for any help

Harry

2. tecman

tecman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My advise would be to get rid of the machine as I have been told the multi region recoding disk caused lots of issues with the MKI and MKII. And you may find it becomes one thing after another.

3. loftfuton

loftfuton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Tecman

Thanks for that, but I've had less than 2 years light use from the machine that cost about £650, so I will have to persevere a bit more.

What is the multi-region recoding disk?? Does the new pickup assembly require the reinstallation of firmware.??

Thanks

4. tecman

tecman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The pickup assembly replacement also means a replacement board I believe, this is what may be causing these issues, I would suggest that you complain heavily to denon directly and see if you could talk them into replacing the player with a B grade item or an upgrade to the 2900(much more reliable). Any Denon dealer should have access to the latest firmware for your machine however so you may want to pursue this first.

5. loftfuton

loftfuton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks

Harry