1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Techwood TWP4210 ?????????????????

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Brasso, Jan 2, 2005.

1. Brasso

Brasso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi newbie here. :hiya:

I went to my local currys today in the search for a TV and ended up parting with my wedge for a Techwood 4210 plasma @ £1199, only to come home and do a search on t'internet to find a very mixed bag of reviews for it! Have I made the wrong choice?? It looked pretty good in the shop. I wasnt intentionally going in for a plasma but thought the Techwood seemed a good deal?

Any thoughts or opinions on this model will be greatly appreciated. :thumbsup:
    We've not got sky or owt its just for general TV, vids and the occasional dvd.

It comes a week tommorow so obviously theres still time to save my hard earned if its crap! LOL.

Cheers, Brasso.

2. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    You'll not find much praise for it on these forums. You can certainly do better but it depends on your budget - for less than £500 more, you get a Panny PW6/7, a much better screen and by far the most recommended screens here.

John

3. absthechatter

absthechatter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    But not having sky, will he not also have to pay for tuner, speakers etc.
    Probaly doubling the price of what he has ordered.

I have never seen the screen, but if the picture was good in the shop, I suppose it is possible it could be good at home. It does not have brilliant reviews, but the ones I have read are comparing to screens two or three times more expensive.

I am of the mind that you probably get what you pay for, and at current prices this is very cheap for what is a Plasma TV and not just a panel.

4. sunderland

sunderland

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +242
    no the techwood comes with its own tuner. like johndon said most people are going for the pannys but you never no if you liked the picture in the shop then you should like it at home

5. dave0523

dave0523
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I must admit in the early stages of looking for a plasma I was very impressed by the Techwoods screen quality when it was in the shop running the usual cr@p test signal they feed them.

Let us know how you get on, I'm sure it'll be fine.

6. absthechatter

absthechatter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1

Sorry, didn't explain myself well. I know the Techwood has its own tuner, but the Panny doesn't. It was stated that for less than £500 he could get Panny instead. Whereas in reality he could only get the panel for that and if he wanted to watch his analogue TV, he would need a tuner, speakers etc.

I agree though, give it a try if it looked alright in the shop. Perhaps you could ask whether they would upgrade if you got it home and did not like it!!

7. sunderland

sunderland

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +242
    well you can get the panny for 1300 now so it would be about 500 quid but at the end of the day its what he likes that matters

8. Brasso

Brasso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for the replys.

I'm in two minds now!

Think I'm gonna go and have a good look at it again tommorrow in the shop. My old telly (had to sell when I was skint!!!) was a Toshiba 36" flat screen and I loved that, so may go for summat similar again and have a few quid in my sky rocket.

The techwood looked nice but I cant be arsed with probs and a dodgy picture.

Cheers again.

9. nicke20

nicke20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    panny 6 at richers £1299 freeview box £39.95
    stand £99 scart board £??

and maybe sony 495 £ 139.95 and yamaha 5.1 speaker setup inc sub £79.95

my first home cinema

got to be worth the upgrade :thumbsup:

10. Steviemacca

Steviemacca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having had the Techwood I would seriously recommend you going and taking another look. I returned mine after a major fight after four weeks. Try and take a look when it is showing dark colours especially blacks. Mine screen appeared to almost go dead in these areas. Also when watching football on Sky Sports picture quality dropped dramatically.

If you want to give it a try, then you may be quite happy, but do but make sure you make a decision within the seven days allowed for returning. Also make sure the delivery staff don't walk of with half the packaging as it will need to be returned complete.

Steviemacca

11. Brasso

Brasso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    jus been chatin to the missus and were gonna go n get our money back tomorrow and get our our old Toshiba 36" that there now doin for £799. I loved that telly and its plenty big enough for what we want.

Plus we need a new carpet!!!! LOL

Cheers for ya help folks.