Techwood twp4210

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by CBDSonline, Jul 5, 2004.

1. CBDSonline

CBDSonline
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    having just joined i would like to say thanks for the help and thoughts imparted on these forums.

I have bought the DSG Techwood plasma 4210 and am impressed by the quality. i read a couple of threads about what the tuner box is so i slid the top off and had a looksee inside.

On the lable on the underside of the tuner is the words PLASMA42 (LG).
    This backs up the installers info that the 4210 is a rebadged LG
    Inside (attached if i can is an pic) it has a sticker with the same info Plasma42LG. A few of the bigger chips are labled.
    Pixelworks PW181 and PW1231. ThePanel controller is a Sillicon Image Panel link chip.

I must say this panel / setup is Pretty good for the price. I will agree with the rest of the comments that scart/rgb connections are briliant from $ly plus box. Panny e30 and Xbox. Poor reception from terrestial tv tuner from a GOOD ariel setup via booster though. as per other threads the setup is best viewed from at least 15 foot, Any closer and i get a headach after about 5 mins.

I am happy. No i am more like a dog with 2 tails. lol.

[​IMG]

2. sid2004

sid2004

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Interesting. All of the other posts seem to suggest that it was a Samsung, but you say its an LG. :confused:

Anyway, how longs the cable from the plasma to the tuner?

3. jasper_mccrea

jasper_mccrea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I had a look at a LG 42" on Tottenham Court Road on Saturday, and if the picture is anything like that on DVD you'd be ecstatic. I was tempted to bring out the wallet on the spot. My better half was with me, though.

4. CBDSonline

CBDSonline
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The panel to tuner cable is 2 meters long plug to plug.

5. mavric60

mavric60

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Interesting about the tuner. Could you look at the rear right hand side of the plasma panel and see if there is a label in there telling you who made the panel. On mine, which is the 4205 model, the label clearly states it is a Samsung Panel. I have not opened the tuner BUT I feel tempted!

A couple of items of interest regarding the tuner. Having visited electronic factorys I know that they produce for other manufacturers alongside there own brands and use the spec that manufacturer stipulates.

So it could be re-badged LG tuner or manufactured by LG to Techwood's spec.

Thanks for the info it moves the debate along as to who Techwood are and what they are selling.

6. zygote

zygote

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just bought the Goodmans GTV42P2 from Makro for £1760 inc VAT. This is exactly the same unit as the Techwood but on the back of mine is a white sticker saying "LGE 42V5". The bloke in Currys or wherever it was the last time I looked at the Techwood said that the boxes now say "Techwood by LG" on them.

This would back up the claims that they are re-badged LG's.

Don't know if that's good or bad but I'm happy with mine.

7. CBDSonline

CBDSonline
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have been away for a while working and just back home.
    No sticker is visible on the rear (through vent holes) but i still recon it's a rebadged LG setup.
    i have conected the pc to the 15pin svga connector and ramped up the settings.
    Whoosh is what i say. a 128meg Radeon 9200 AIW ATI card and it will outperform the tv settings. 1280 * 1024 No problems. Anything higher and the plasma reports Out of Range.

8. anabraxa

anabraxa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi is what you are talking about the techwood twp 4210 plasma tv from currys? i am thinking of buying one but my husband is wairy because he doesnt know the make is it any good. is it good value at £1750?

9. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    I suggest you read the following thread... Linky

S.

10. TJUK

TJUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have just bought this set and wondered if anyone has bought a surround sound system for it? If so what type and was the installation easy?

11. TJUK

TJUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I haggled Curry's down to £1400 and got a DVD recorder with it. I took in a copy of the sales flyer from Tiny. Good luck. Oh by the way that was Curry's at Botley, Oxford.

12. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    the earlier techwood were samsung but each model can be different tuner box and screen unlike panasonice pionner NEC or Fujitsu Hitachi who have a development path these rebrands can vary so earlier models much better than later ones etc they are all produced to a price but none of them can compare it to the big boys any one interested in a sub £2k 42" plasma i suggest you read this thread....http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154292&highlight=beginner 42" PLasma mount and 5.1 AV system for under £2k (and its a panasonic plasma ;) )

13. bladerunner100

bladerunner100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have just purchased a techwood from currys it is manufactured by LG
    managed to get ntl cable on av1 and dvd on av2 problem is i cant get s video to work i have a jvc cinema set up s.video comes from the amp but when i plug it in the front panel hey presto -zilch doesnt seem to find s video signal.
    i have plugged a scart with six audio plugs on and have connected video out tothe vid/o on dvd and seems to work fine. cant understand how the surround is getting its input as the only lead connected to the amp is the vid/out.
    1 other prob is that when i powerup the panel it defaults to scart 1 and all i get is a green screen then i have to use the remotn and press source to av1 rgb, am i getting the best quality ? or should i be able to get better using a different setting or input. so far i am pleased overall , just hoping it doesnt go tech on me

14. florida al

florida al

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I have just joined this forum after buying a Techwood TWP4210, I have read some of the reviews on this model & I have to say I find the quality & picture on this beast outstanding. Like I said I have just bought it & set it up by playing with it as I do not have any instructions on it. I bought it as a managers special from Currys & they had lost the "destructions".
    It is help I am after I have set it up but would like to see what else this little beauty can do for me so I would like the instructions. if any of you fellow owners could either fax me a copy or scan it & email me with it I would be more than greatfull. :lease:

regards

Alan

15. lee01

lee01
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  16. florida al

florida al

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Lee01 just the job !!! :thumbsup:

17. Mayanweb

Mayanweb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hornydragon are you saying that a TWP4210 screen will work with a TWP4205 tuner and vice versa? :confused: 'Coz mine doesn't and neither does another poor souls who has the opposite setup to me. :( Although he is dragging his kit to my house this Friday to swap tuner units and see if that sorts us both out :rolleyes:
    Will let you know in due course... Also I believe the Goodmans GTV42P2 is a TWP4210 rebadged (LG screen) but suspect the tuner may be different yet again (something about a DVI input???)
    Any views would be welcome!:lease: Many Thanks Mayanweb (joined today :D ) in preparation for my purchase of a PDP436XDE...

18. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    no idoubt the tuners are swapable as the actual panels will differ lots and so will the electronics only the glass is samsung IIRC the rest is from a 3rd party OEM and not necassarily the same OEM for both!

I think you will find the 436FDE very different!

19. Mayanweb

Mayanweb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Handy info for all the poor Techwood souls out there...:thumbsup:
    Hornydragon I'm a newbie so if you consider the info worth turning into a 'sticky' please do the honours :lease:

Here goes :lesson:
    A TWP4205 has a Samsung screen and will only work with a TWP4205 tuner (VMB1110) - connection to a TWP4210 tuner (VMB1110 Rev. 1) results in screen turning on then off 1 second later.
    A TWP4210 has an LG screen and will only work with a TWP4210 tuner (VMB1110 Rev. 1) - connection to a TWP4205 tuner results in both screen and being able to 'turn on (green light)' BUT NOT AT THE SAME TIME ! - If tuner turns on screen goes into standby and vice-versa :(

SO GET THE RIGHT TUNER FOR YOUR SCREEN! :oops:

Click of death! :eek: - the most common fault with both tuner boxes...
    I don't have the solution for this as yet but info below will be useful to someone (thanks to Stefan):thumbsup:

I found this by doing a yahoo search for the PCB no. (17WP02-5) as a last ditch attempt and got lucky! however, I've had no luck with the main board. The url is,

http://www.vestelitaly.it/download/plasma/17pw02-5.pdf#search='17pw025'

but this info is protected if you go via vestel home page (which is in italian).

For your reference what I have found is:
    Unit is dead but ticking

Signal "power" from the main PCB is pulsing and resets the 5V and 3v3 switchers continuously - ticking

I found that isolating signal "power" from these by lifting R160 & R161 stops signal "power" from pulsing and the unit powers up - RED led on. Not sure if the unit will work like this - I might try this over the weekend when I see my friends.

-Checks on supplies in this condition showed 3v3 to be low (~1.8V). I found that Q116 was s/c from b to c.
    Replaced this and 3v3 okay.

Refitted R160/R161 and symptoms the same - still resetting!

I'm not sure what "power" indicates I thought that it maybe a low/high voltage lockout but the symptoms show when only connector PL111 is in - and all voltages look okay.

This signal comes from the main board and I now think maybe part of the STBY/On logic(micro start up etc) so it maybe a problem on the main board for which I have no info!.

Hope this helps. If you manage to find a fix it would be much appreciated - I will let you know if I get anywhere.

Finally those with Goodmans GTV42P2's will find they have Samsung screens (although removing the rear cover of the screen seems the only way to be sure) although elsewhere I have seen a post stating they're LG screens!

GOOD LUCK & NEXT TIME PAY THE EXTRA AND BUY A MAKE YOU'VE HEARD GOOD THINGS ABOUT ON AVFORUMS!!!:lesson:

20. LFCRules

LFCRules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    Added to FAQ sticky. Thanks Mayanweb :thumbsup:

21. T2Dex

T2Dex
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

I got the Techwood way back and most people on here told me to steer clear of em, But I explained I wanted an entry level until plasma technology was a little better meaning more HD.

The set is still mounted on my living room wall and has never let me down one bit, The colours are still as vibrant and it handels anything put through it. This has been an awsome bit of kit for the money I payed for it back then. I have it hooked up to Sky HD now through RGB but only until my Hitachi PD7200 comes sometime this week, Then the techwood goes into the back room.

My techy has the Samsung label in the back of the panel however the tuner is LG badged.

Anyway happy viewing people.

Dex

22. mariust5

mariust5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Managed to get a tuner box , connected it all up and it turns out that the screen has a black line of about 2 inch from top to botton in the middle .
    How does this happen and is it fixable ? Thanks .

23. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    doubtful i would return under the sale of goods act "must last a reasonable lengt of time" see here http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=399744

24. levitlc123

levitlc123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    [email protected]
    got the same problem like to know how you got on
    regards levi123

25. levitlc123

levitlc123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sorry new here. but got the same problem and would like to know if you solved it.
    regards levitlc123

[email protected]

26. Iain.M

Iain.M
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

My Techwood TWP4210 with Techwood VMB1110 tuner has an intermittent fault i.e. 2 inch black line in middle of screen from top to bottom. Was a cure ever identified for this?

Cheers, :thumbsup:

27. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    Without seeing the fault its hard to diagnose, Photo?

28. coz1954

coz1954

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    I have had a Techwood TWP4210 for a few years now. Performance has been excellent, up till now.
    Just begun, however, to experience a thick black line right down middle of the screen. Comes on intermittently and remains in place for anything between 20 minute and 1 hour then just disappears. I have tried disconnecting all the various units but nothing seems to affect it.
    I did think that perhaps it was caused by the introduction of Nintendo Wii being connected to it (just recently purchased the latter) and the problem has only occurred since then. Since checking the forums I have noticed quite a lot of commentary on problems with this type of TV but nothing of the nature of the fault I am experiencing.
    Any ideas?

I clearly did not scroll down far enough previously on this forum before joining it. I have now seen a couple of entries that match the fault I have - which at least means there is a shared issue.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2009
  29. idc1966

idc1966
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bars on screen are caused by the surface mounted resistors on the flat ribbon cables going from the main boards to the screen, they usally ok if resoldered or replaced