Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Techwood TWP4205 ?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by Fozz, Nov 15, 2004.

1. Fozz

Fozz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi there.
    I was in Curry's yesterday and I saw the Techwood TWP4205 42'' Plasma screen on sale at a knock down price of STG1299.
    To me this seems to be a bargain but I would like to know if anyone here has any info on this TV and if someone actualy has one and wants to give their opinion then that would be great.

I am certainly in the market for a big screen TV and up to know I have been looking at the Sony KP-44PX3 Rear Projection TV.
    However, the price of this Techwood Plasma is comparable and so I'd like any advice anyone here has as to which way to go.

Cheers.

2. Leigh_1973

Leigh_1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    General concensus is avoid like the plague, the old saying, you get what you pay for is very true. You can get a panasonic PW6 for £1580 at the moment. This is regarded as the best screen for the money by a long shot

3. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    It's a fairly low-res plasma. You could do a lot better for a few hundred more.

4. guli

guli
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    nick, what are you on about,

its not the resolution that matters. for a few hundred more the panny pwd6 is the same res but miles better.

Alex

5. Fozz

Fozz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hey guys.
    What's the full model type of that Panasonic PWD6?
    I want to do my research and see what the fuss is about and see also where I could possibly get one cheapest.
    Cheers.

6. grahamtriggs

grahamtriggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    TH-42PWD6, with either a B or BX suffix.

I wouldn't worry too much about the cheapest, AV-Sales are more or less there, and have a good reputation on this forum.

Their price is £1580 - *BUT* - that only includes 1 terminal board (you can have up to 3 to offer a variety of inputs - SCART, component, etc.). If you need more inputs, you will need to add more terminal boards (about £100 a time), or buy switchboxes, etc. Also, you will need some kind of feet or stand, the cheapest mentioned here is about £60.

Note also that the PWD6 is *NOT* a TV - it's a display. That means you get no tuner, and no speakers. So you will need a seperate amp/speakers, and some other way of providing a tuner (such as Sky, freeview, etc.)

If you want a TV, the cheapest one I would suggest is the LG-RZ42PX11 - you can get them for about £1500, and includes a tuner, speakers, and all the connections you could want.

7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    The PW6 is a total bargain if you have or want digital TV and surround sound. The 'lack' of inputs is no problem at all if you can learn from here or are reasonably savvy. A basic setup could be with a single scart board and a Pioneer VSX402 amplifier, with 3 scart inputs and 1 out to the screen. Child's play, even to the lady in your life. There is another way too, if you still need to buy digital TV. There is 1 freeview box that outputs component video, and together with a decent basic DVD with component video, you could switch this with any number of AV amplifiers. Then a set of budget speakers for either setup, and you have your own home cinema. £2k could cover the whole lot, screen, mount, amp, dvd and £64.50 from BT.com for the freeview box.

8. spook

spook
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Fozz, I have to chip in here, I have had my PWD6 for about 6 months and I am very happy with it,
    as you are aware like MAW says, this is a pro business screen, and not the all in one TV type deal, however don't be too concerned about the lack of tuner etc

if you are not using Sky+ you could go for one of the many Freeview tuners or one of the newer twin Freeview PVRs, this Panasonic click here is especially cool, just make sure it can output an RGB signal via scart

also if you are not ready yet for the full AV sound system you can attach a pair of 6ohm speakers directly to the screen (yes the screen has a stereo amp built in) I have been using a pair of these denon (click here) speakers for 6 months and they sound great.

so basically you only need to spend £100-£200 extra and your up and running equal if not better than any other "TV plasma" .

you can of course add other things later on, for example a component module for connecting a DVD player will give you outstanding picture quality, I have one of these panny 55 (cheap DVD players probably only have scart so you would need to spend at least a couple of hundred quid for a player with component connectors (3 x phono or bnc) but well worth it.

Spook

9. TheChump

TheChump

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd have to agree with the general consensus of opinions on here from doing my own research. If you want a decent plasma TV with nothing else to buy, go for the LG-RZ42PX11 - all the connections you could ever want (and more besides), good picture quality, speakers and an in built tuner for £1500.

If you want the best plasma picture quality for under £2000 it's got to be the PWD6 at the moment.