1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Techwood Plasma or LCD?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by twarde, Nov 1, 2003.

1. twarde

twarde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
  2. ASH1

ASH1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Hi twarde, Yes I've seen them in Currys as well. They have two plasmas TV's for 2k the Techwood TWP4205(which I've never heard of) and the Hyundai HP4200. Both come with Tuner box and speakers. They also had the Pioneer 434HDE, I know which one I'll be buying if I win the lotto tonight.
    ASH1 :)

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Model number sounds like a clone of a relisys. Not brilliant, keep saving. You can get a PW6 panny for £2900 in black these days.

4. ASH1

ASH1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Hi MAW, that's what I thought. But being as I've only had my Hitachi 400E for a fortnight and I need to upgrade my amp it will be a while before my next plasma.
    ASH1 :)

5. Easy2BCheesy

Easy2BCheesy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I heard it was a rebadged Samsung? Whatever, when it comes to plasma, you really do pay for what you get...

6. cruncher75

cruncher75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    has anyone seen this what the picture quality looks like on this techwood

7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Irrelevant, since you'll never get a decent demo of it. If it's running in a branch of dixons it'll look rubbish, but it might not be quite so bad if you were to leave a half witted dog to play with it for a while....

8. MJL

MJL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with MAW...the average Currys/Dixons monkeys are not the best people to give fair/technical/impartial help on this.

However, I managed to take a look at one of these yesterday, and basically pushed the salesman aside and stated to play with it myself.

To be honest, I was quite impressed by the quality of the picture, although you had the normal ghosting that you always get in one of these retail stores....but I then plugged in the nearest DVD player (making sure not to set off any alarms) and watched a couple of minutes of LOTR TT. Not bad, not bad at all. With the prices the way they are, I think that this is a reasonable purchase for the lower-middle end plasma.

There was no other techie details to be seen at the store, and absolutely nothing useful on the Currys/Dixons website. In fact, after scanning the web for an hour or two, I found nothing more!

Anyone else had a chance to see one in action?

9. mavric60

mavric60

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks MJL for your views on the Techwood 42 inch plasma. Like you I was impressed with picture quality on DVD so much so that I am taking delivery of the £2500 package on 20.11.03, so a more in depth review will follow.

The Currys salesman I saw admitted that on TV reception alone they were unlikely to sell many sets so he set one up on DVD - wise move - asset to the company.

I have gone for the best set up that my money can buy given 2 months looking around.

If anyone can come up with any more info on Techwood i'd appreciate it. I've found one or two Techwood sites but don't think if i'v hit the right one yet.

Now i will look foward to setting everything up, including the screen/tuner, surround sound system, recordable dvd, sky receiver and possibly a vcr, all this and a full day's work. Phew!!

10. Ron39

Ron39

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have Techwood 42 " set up for just over a week now, it was a freebie :) went away on business for a few weeks returned home to find that the wife had bought one for me blowing her Holiday fund in the process, i'll post some pictures later in the get your Plasma's for the lads section.

11. paulefox

paulefox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    ron39 what do you think of the picture

12. Ron39

Ron39

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    whilst its nota panny or such, i am happy with the picture but i am comparing it to an 5 year old tosh 32" widescreen, on DVD'S it a cracking picture, i guess the jury is still out, but for me it will do for a few years now i have there is no going back and with prices dropping who knows how much they will be in say 3/5 years time.

13. MJL

MJL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have actually gone ahead and ordered one of these...whether I regret it or not is a different matter. :rolleyes:

However, from what I have seen (albeit for a short period), the DVD quality is perfectly adequate. And I assume my Cable TV output would also be as sharp and clear. Not to mention my XBox.

So....as a start into the wonderful world of plasma, I don't think I could have done any better for the price.

I promise to knock up a review once I get it (I'm still counting the seconds down til delivery)

Ron39.....What are you Happy with on the Techwood, and what aren't you happy with?

14. Ron39

Ron39

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am very happy with it i cannot knock it the wife bought for me/us, i have wanted one for years, it will do for now as once you've arrived you cannot go back, its great with DVD's we watched Finding Nemo Region1 at the weekend with kids and the picture was sharp and true, i used the THX setup on the disk to set it up, as for cable well i don't have it but i have sky but have always found some of the channnels too compressed to offer a really good picture, most are suitable and clear though.

Its early days to pick faults with it IMO, I suppose the Tuner Box is a tad ugly, but the deliery was a nightmare, it was due to arrive 2 weeks ago today but did'nt, it came on the saturday, the wife played here face and had the delivery cost and istallation refunded, only for me to cmoe and unistall it all again to get it set up how i wanted. it was from Currys BTW.

Ron

ps when is yours due?,

15. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Techwood ( Technics Kenwood :D ) is same as the SKY plasma, they are both Samsung.
    Interestingly I saw a JVC PD-42V31 which the salesman said was an NEC panel from Korea packaged into a JVC in Scotland.
    Inside it had a Samsung badge on the panel. :confused:

16. MJL

MJL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey Gringo, thanks for that info, it makes me feel a lot better about having ordered one.

Is it really Technics/Kenwood but made by Samsung???

17. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    No, it is made by Samsung, badge is just one of those names made up to sound familiar, like Hibachi, Hinari, Sonya, Panasound, Mitsibusha....
    Not that it matters really. :cool:

18. paulefox

paulefox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    are we saying this is or isnt samsung

19. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    It's samsung, just like LG, relysis, daewoo etc etc, amazed that JVC use a samsung panel! I learn something new every day.

20. MJL

MJL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ah, I see.

Still, would it be your opinion that the unit will perform in the same way as a similar Samsung branded panel?

I've heard that whilst the screen my be a major branded component, the electrics that "drive" it are of a far lesser quality.
    Does that make sense?

To be honest, £2k was the limit of what I could spend, so it's not like I had the freedom of choice, but knowing that the unit is a Samsung makes me feel more confident.

21. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    1. Yes.
    2. It's definitely true that electronics and interface provision will affect performance, but in this instance it is a complete Samsung with a different badge, so no different to buying an identical specification Samsung, providing one is available in U.K.

Possibly someone is making the argument that two identical screens will have different characteristics say, if one is partnered by Hitachi electronics and another by Philips Pixel Plus " technology " . :cool:

22. marcus32

marcus32

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is the Techwood 42 inch Plasma, a old samsung 40 inch tube, as curry`s and dixon`s web sites say that it is a 98 cms, visible screen size, which would make it about a 40 inch tube, but all other 42 inch plasma`s are 106 cms, visible screen size.
    Does anybody that`s got one no the visible screen size of the Techwood 42 inch plasma.

Thank`s Marcus, Carlisle.

23. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Oddly enough it doesnt really matter who made the panel! There are some very expensive plasmas that have quite suprising inside!!! some are literally another manufacturers with a shiny case!!!
    What really matters is the spec of the panel and drive circuits! If you go for a low end plasma it will take far more work to get good PQ than it will buying a top end branded unit. so if you are a techwood owner/orderer get the most out of the panel. Freeveiw is best for TV £50 for a box wont break the bank. Also look at a DVD player with VGA out as the panel was designed as aPC display originally not a TV!!! Samsung do some cheap ones IIRC also make sure you are squeezing ever drop of performance out of other gear ie Sky get the dish properly aligned if its beeen up for a few years. USE RGB!!!!! £100 spent on cables and some tweeks can make a £2.5k plasma look as good as £4k+ unit that isnt optimised!!!

PS Marcus32 please dont call plasma "tube" Panel will work bettter and confuse far fewer peeps!

it will be marked as 42" so it doesnt look lower spec on paper, the inch size is an approximation and you should always compare visible screen sizes (the unvisible bits are a tad usless) most screens have bits you cant see, picture is adjusted to fit.

24. MJL

MJL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Marcus,

You're right, they do say on the website that it is 98cm. However, I have the physical spec from a Currys "flyer". It states 106cms. Go figure!

I'm not sure which of these dimensions are correct...but hopefully I'll have my panel soon*, and I'll tell you for sure.

*Been promised this in two weeks, but from what I've read elsewhere on this forum, Currys/Dixons are not great at keeping to this. Anyone else waiting for one?

25. rayhayes

rayhayes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My wife and I ordered one on Saturday but didn't get a quoted delivery date. After playing musical chairs with their telephone system someone at the local store eventually answered and claims that Currys are (at a high-level) in dispute with Techwood regarding the delivery of the AV Units.

They're unable to get an ETA for them, so they're not setting delivery dates. I assume they are still taking orders though.

26. MJL

MJL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That isn't good news!

May I ask how you managed to get in touch with the specific store that you ordered it from?

When you say AV Units, do you mean just the Tuner part, or the panel? Or both? :(

27. rayhayes

rayhayes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have no idea how the routing was done, I used a work phone that withholds the number, but it found the correct store anyway!

I couldn't get through on their "delivery" number (it kept rejecting my reference number) and I eventually resorted to recalling and pressing 1 for "I want to buy something". Answered within 30 seconds then!

The guy said all parts except the tuner box were in stock. I'll give them until Friday then think about finding out if the display can operate without the tuner box.

R.

28. MJL

MJL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that, I shall give them a shot now...

As for running the panel without the tuner box.....I doubt it. The panel seems to have a home-grown connector...and all of the Scart/Composite connections are on the Tuner.

Unless you have equipment with the same connector (unlikely), you'll not be able to use it.

Funny, how no one told me that there was a problem when I went into Currys to check on it on Sunday. All they told me is that they are just waiting for the Tuner box.

Buyer Beware! At least until these become freely available anyway.

*EDIT : Very Odd....I too am using a work phone that does not give out it's number. And I got directed to my "Local" store...or so they said. I got connected to West Thurrock in Essex, when I work in Luton in Bedfordshire. The odd thing is....I actually ordered my Techwood from West Thurrock!! Again, go figure!

29. mavric60

mavric60

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ordered my Techwood 15.11 with delivery promised on 20.11. Had a 'phone call the night before to say it would not be delivered. Have now been promised delivery for Friday 28.11.

If you have the receipt 'phone the number on the top, wait for the recorded message press 0 then at the next recorded message press 3, this should automatically put you through to your local store.

Just for a laugh I've scanned a photo of the Techwood in to the computer, printed it out and stuck it to a photo frame which is on top of the glass table where the TV will eventually go, it looks great, trouble is it's only a 25cm screen. My daughter reckons I've got a great sense of humour!

I just wonder with this TV whether I'll have to move to a village near me, it's called Hope, then I can say that's what i'm living in!

30. marcus32

marcus32

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank`s for the help on the screen size, i ordered my Techwood from Dixons on-line and when i phoned them up to see how long it would be to i got it, they said 4 weeks, but did not say anything about having no tuner box`s in stock.

I will be conecting a Panosonic DMR-E30 DVD Video Recorder, Acoustic Solutions 451 DVD player, a VHS Video recorder and a Sky Digibox (pace) to the plasma screen.

I also have a Technics SA-EH600 system with 5 speakers to set up with this gear too.

Also can you st up your plasma to sky using VGA cables.

Thank`a again, Marcus.