1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Techwood owners please help

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by marshy.dave, Mar 19, 2004.

1. marshy.dave

marshy.dave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All,

My mate has just bought the Techwood plasma and last night i went to his house armed with my dvd essentials disk to help set it up. I had excellent results using this on my Hitachi.

This is where i need help. I noticed that the plasma has individual setting for each input source, excellent functionality, however no matter what i tried i was unable to get a clear picture from any source. There was what i can only describe as a shimmering effect (rippled water) on solid images, ie when a light was on in a room on an image it displayed about 5 bands of light like progressive shadows.

Also, and this is what is confusing the CONTRAST does not work as i would expect it to. to me when u increase contrast it should make the screen lighter and when u decrease contrast it should make the screen duller. On this set when the contrast is increased the screen goes black and when decreased the screen goes grey, its almost like it thinks its the brightness control in reverse.

I would appreciate it if any owners out there could say whether or not they have the same problems.

Good quality cables and mid rahnge sources are used throughout.

Thanks,

Dave...

2. marshy.dave

marshy.dave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Apparently Dixons have seen this fault before and it was rectified by replacing the cab;e which conects the tuner to the screen.

I will go to currys and check out a display model

3. mavric60

mavric60

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been on to Mastercare's Techwood hotline and explained the fault to them, ie., banding or solarization. They say there is no fix for it and it is within the manufacturer's specification.

The best input is DVD followed by analogue and lastly SKY. Their recommended viewing distance is about 14 feet from the panel.

My panel took a few weeks to settle down and then I set it up using the advice from another thread. Look for setting up a plasma panel, excellent article.

I am impressed with the Techwood, I only find a problem with fast moving events like football, but not all of the time, and not all the SKY channels seem to be affected. DVD is faultless. Like your mate I use good quality cables - Thor - throughout. If it was possible I would like to get a better quality cable from the tuner to the panel.

Hope this helps.

4. marshy.dave

marshy.dave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply.

What are your thoughts regarding the contrast control and the way it seems to work backwards

5. squid

squid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    dave keep us informed if the problem can be solved with a cble change and currys will send a replacment cable I may get on the phone to them as I would be willing to keep mine if those few probs could be sorted . I'm still waiting for mine to be collected as I could not live with the problems you described .

Who exactly did you contact (what no.) mastercare are a waist of time , no mater waht you ask them they just say it's within spek. I think they are just to lazzy to be bothered doing anything

6. squid

squid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know what you meen about the contrast . I have been fidling with it for a long time . contast effects brightness and viceversa it just seems with this set it is a very extreem case. to get a good pioc you seem to have to keep fidling with cotrast then brightness then con and so on till you get a good pic and you have to get itjust right in the middle or it is too dark on realy gray

7. marshy.dave

marshy.dave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Squid,

Do you know if the cable from tuner box to plasma id directional, it is on my Hitachi 42PD3000

8. squid

squid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    don't realy know sorry

9. mavric60

mavric60

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dave

Contrast and brightness work as they should on mine. Brighter up darker down, if I get your drift right your mates is acting the other way - correct me if I am wrong.

The settings on mine - if they help you are SKY, brightness 65, contrast 50, sharpness 6 and colour 30, the same settings on terrestrial except the colour is set at 25.

Vic

10. Rampage

Rampage

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Are you sure that the cable is direction on the 42PD3000 marshy.dave? I never noticed on mine, are the connectors different or is there an arrow on the cable or something?

11. wezzywebb

wezzywebb
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,851
    dave, sounds very similar to my techwood problem/sky pic was mostly fine,dvd was terrible,black was greenish with ghosting allover on dark scenes/pheonix nights dvd was unwatchable,tried 2 dvd players yamaha/technics spent 70 pounds on new scarts/tried all settings,still no good. sent it back in the end,got a phillips42pf9945 now much happier now

12. coolblue

coolblue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can you help me I see you got your Techwood returned I have the Engineer due to my house and I want to return mine I am have only had it 5 days, but I know I am going to get the story of you get what you pay for its not a fault thats the normal for this screen. I want my money back so I can buy a decent plasma i.e. the Panasonic TH42PW6B is now going for around £2300 .If you can tell me what you said to return your screen that would be a great help before I lose my patients with Currys !!

Cheers:(