Techwood 42inc plasma review

P

plasmalover808

I just recieved a TECHWOOD 42in Plasma tv TWP4210/s from currys. I had to wait nearly 2 weeks for delivery and the donkeys at currys were far from helpful!
But I paid for the wallmounting service (£299.00) and the screen came with a pair of freestanding speakers (can be screen mounted) tuner box and table top stand.

After i bought the plasma i discovered this forum and became really worried that i had made a mistake after hearing some of the stories. but i am absolutly delighted with my buy!

The screen itself is clear and smart, the speakers do the job, the tuner box is a bit big but with 4 scart sockets i will put up with it!

I have a panasonic dvd player which has 10/10 quality now,
i have a sanyo video which is about 7/10 quality- no better- no worse!
i have a playstation2 which is about 8/10 quality,
and a NTL Digital box which has about 9/10 quality

so far i have no problems with the plasma and i would recommend it to anyone, but shop around, use discount codes/ free delivery/ 6 months interest free credit to gain the best deal from currys.

I went to the shop and told them i had a £50 discount code for the internet and could get free delivery (normally £30.00) so they took £70 off the price and i got 6 months interest free!

i love it and hope other people who bought it will review it too

Email me with any questions!

hi m8 nice to here and welcome to AV FORUMS
just 1 thing m8 you got ripped off but ure not the only one as you payed for the wallmounting service (£299.00) its a lot to put up as you get the wallmounting kit free anyway so you have payed them £299 to fit a brackit to ure wall but like i side ure not the only one that has bean conned sham on currys
But anyway m8 all the best with it and get some pics up to show cya

ps not flaming you
But currys should be a shamed for ripping peps off

i dont mean to scare you plasmalover and i seriously hope i am wrong but according to the specs for that screen on Curry's website they describe the screen as having a "visible" size of 98cm as opposed to 106cm which is what most "real" 42" plasma screens are. . . hmmm {EDIT} and the same on Dixon's site too

cheers
Dave

digger there just thick the screen is 42 inch 106cm

didnt know the wall bracket came with the screen, on the delivery invoice it had only 4 boxes, screen, tuner, speakers and table stand. The bracket was boxed seperate and the donkeys at currys quoted me £199 for the wall bracket to buy extra, so free delivery and £40 off made the instilation price acceptable.

plasmalover808
MAY be there stop including the brackit then but you find that all the guys here got a brackit free

I saw this plasma in Curry's yesterday..... it was probably the best looking plasma in the whole place.... as much as i dislike saying that my chosen plasma wouldnt be best, but maybe the techwood is better with average signals

ad

Hi All,
I too ordered this Plasma and then found this forum, I asked about it and was almost going to ring Currys up and send it back before I got it with the some of the coments I received here.

BUT I did not and can HONESTLY say the thing is GREAT, Speakers, stand, wall bracket the lot all in the price £2000.

Cant beat it watching DVDs but Sky + (Some of the channels are a little GHOSTY) but this aint the fault of the screen.

I use RGB Gold Plated Scart leads to connect everything and cant complain at all with this machine. yes the receiver is UGLY and may have something to do with the poor signal from some Sky channels) will test this later as i have an AverMedia Tuner box in my computer, Will try this as a receiver in my Plasma soon but in the middle of moving house at the mo.

These screens are actually Samsug models (If you look through the vents at the back TOP left you will see the labels) and are very good value for money.

They dont beat or compare with the Pioneer HDTV screens for £5000 but would you expect that ???

Cheers All & happy viewing

Dex

Hi techwood owners.

How are things so far. I should guess the picture would have settled down by now. What are your opinions of the unit down the line?

Does your Techwood plasma make a noticeable buzzing sound in the back, like a neon sign would make?

To DCGUY, no noise out of the back of mine. Anyone with any electrical/electronic experience suggest what the problem might be. Does the noise come from where the mains lead goes in, if so could be transformer noise.

To kace, absolutely pleased with mine. Sky pictures are iffy to say the least, but not on all the channels, movie channels brilliant. Settled in nicely and enjoying it, this is a lot of plasma for the money.

Hi All

Yes the Plasma has bedded in OK, There is a noticable difference from when I first set it up, Things are a lot smoother now less grainey, Sky + channels (Lower Bit rate) are rubbish still. Most noticable is grass when watching footy, It is verry blockey. But DVD & High Bit Rate Movie channels are 100%.

No noise from the back of the unit at all. I will be wall mounting mine in the next 2 weeks, They are a GREAT Screen for the money you pay, I went out of my way to see the Samsung unit running and it is every bit as good as that was, I accept it aint no Pioneer but then you get what you pay for.

I like it and am glad I got it

Hope you all have fun with yours.

Dex

Can you please let me know what screen settings ie:- brightness/contrast etc you've set onyour Techwood Plasma for best picture quality. So far I've had my plasma 2 weeks and I am totaly unhappy with the picture quality.....it doesn't matter how much i set the brightness/contrast etc the the picture always, in areas, looks pixelated. At present I am not happy with this product at all.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi DH (I forget the Rest)

Is your pixelisation when watching Sky, Terestrial or DVD or is it all three.
How are you connected to each component ?

I did have BAD pixelisation and ghosting where it looked like it could not keep up especially and BBC1 through sky for the first month but now its gone. Took some messing about with leads.

Make sure you have it on RGB at least 50Htz when watching any channel. Your DVD should default to RGB 60Htz mine does and it absolutly christal clear.

If your DVD pic is clear then it aint a fault of your Techwood monitor, Try the Premium Movie channels on Sky they should also be perfect.

If you need any more help drop me a line

Dex

DH012E7819

If it's any consolation it took my Techwood about 6 weeks to bed in. I have had it since November 03 and the picture is still improving.

I was the same as you forever altering the brightness, etc. Stick with it, it will get better.

Any problems give me a shout and I will post my settings.

The only input I have not got right yet is the RGB input.

Vic

Hi Dex, thanks for the replay. My set up is... Sky into scart 1 (and the only real good picture I have is when say a cartoon is on rather than live action). Scart 2 has my video which being video i'm not expecting dvd quality. Scart 4 has my dvd.... all 3 connections depending on what you watch are pixelated although certian region 1 dvd's ie:- T3 Rise Of The Machines is perfect. I have noticed that region 1 dvd's set my Plasma to 60hz and give me the option of "TINT" ctrl. What do you find best with your brightness/contrast/sharpness/colour options....

Darren

paid for the techwood from currys with a free george forman grill thrown in ..but thats a different story (lol :laugh: )...then read the forums and thought oh no have i made the right choice...well its been up 2 weeks now and can honestly say its great...goood picture good sound no buzzing and all the addons..dvd,sky,vid ect work fine...so for any one who is thinking of buying one dont be put off by other peeps views....the one thing i would say is make sure its the 4210 and not the 4205 exactly the same same but the 4210 is the upgraded version...mine is the the 4210 but the speakers are 4205 ....from what i can gather the speakers havent been changed

brought a techwood plasma in may, replaced in june same problem on both, colour kept going off, as for pq...pile of poo. could not even watch the screen so i complained to curries who sent out a bloke to look at it, he said it was within spec, another load of crap so i went back to the shop and told them i was going to trading standards, salesman could not be nicer, arranged an upload of the techwood and replaced it with a samsung pw42d4 at no extra charge, saved myself £600 on the price of the samsung, was £2299 got it for what i paid for the techwood £1699. can not fault the samsung, great pq,sound and ease of use.

hi just alittle info on techwood plasma when mastercare fit tv to wall they use a £199 mount like the one from partmaster.co.uk not the one in the box.

two tvs have been sold the 4205 and the current one the 4210 which has a LG screen in it but do not know who makes rest of the unit

no the sould not buzz but they make a little noise when running

plasma tvs also need to be beded in a will get better after about 200 hours if you dont belive me take a look at this white paper from panasonic on
http://www.fcw.com/vendorsolutions/panasonicplasma.pdf

also just if you have been told this they cannot and donot need to be regased after 5yrs they have the same screen burn problems as a tube (CRT)
they do not have problems with sport ie picture trayalls that is a LCD not plasma most plasma have a 1/2 life of 30,000 hours sume now 60,000 see PDF for more info on what this is CRT about 20,000 to 30,000 hours.
also

currys do not use mount in the box take a look at partmater site mount is on that site cost about £200

Interesting thread this, obviously the techwood being a none "brand" name I was dubious as to the quality of the item. many people have said no and people are seem to like it.... is it fair to say a cheap plasma would be made better if you spent some good money on good cables?

don't bet on it, i've had 2 techwoods, both were crap, i think plasma screens have moved on a lot even since this thread began.please believe me, you can do a lot better for youre money, eben at todays techwood prices.

it ain't worth 500 quid, let alone 1000. save an extra couple of hundred and get something that won't rot your brain.

hi all
thinking of one of these myself...
one question is the contrast ratio good on these screens
many thx

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom