1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Techwood 42"

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by officewaller, Dec 16, 2003.

1. officewaller

officewaller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all
    New to the forum and Plasma screens. I have been down to Dixons and ordered the Techwood Plasma for £1999.00 p&p inc. This will be our first. Know nothing about this model and would thank anyone who has any info what's so ever. I to have scanned the net but come up with nothing. I asked in the shop if it was made in England? they did not know. Asked it the tuner box was digital? they did not know. Now I normally do my home-work before buying anything but not this time, the wife was in a good mood and said "yes" I think she ment the Plasma? anyway its on its way.
    I will only know how good it is when it has been set up. Have I just spent 2K on a bad buy? I will post pictures and spec of my set-up when it is set-up.
    Thanks to you all and again Hello.
    Regards
    Officewaller

2. Koing

Koing
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The tuner will not be digital that is a given.

The pic will be on the lower end of the plasma scale. Depending on how 'critical' of PQ you are it may suck.

The dvd will be pretty good but you will see some fuzzy stuff 'probbly' and the colours and contrast in dark scene not as good as pio/pana/fujitsu screens.

Tv will bad and fuzzy and iffy overall. Just make sure you are further away from the screen and not anywhere near sub 7ft to it.

Koing

3. Elvis

Elvis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There is another thread on this Plasma screen. Several people are waiting for delivery, but those who have it seem happy.

4. officewaller

officewaller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that. I have just managed to contact Dixons home delivery. They asked me for my Ref number, I gave it to them and they said I was not on there system. "Not a problem" she said "I will update our systems now for you". I asked why but she was not sure. The good news is, she asked me if I have paid for the wall bracket, "yes" I said (I have not( OK she said I will include this in your package. She then started asking me alsorts of questions about power locations and the nearest source of heat. When I asked why she said it was for the instalation. What Instalation ? I had only paid the £1999.00. She then told me it would arrive on the 22nd December. WOW I was told in the shop it would not arrive untill after 7th Jan 2004. Fingers crossed then. I did ask her if any part of the Plasma was not in. She said ALL part were in stock and would be despatched and installed on the 22nd December. I will let you all know what happens. As most on the people on this forum have said the RDC are working blind from there retails outlets. I'm please as I have now saved £1000.00 if I receive the wall bracket and if they hang it for me. I might ask if they sell swimming pools next? LOL.

Regards
    Officewaller

5. mavric60

mavric60

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hope you have caught up with the other thread on the Techwood panel and tuner.

I have posted a couple of replies there including who makes the panel. If you look from the back to the top right inside, in mine there is label which says:

Samsung PDP panel.

Model S42SD-YD06

Manufactured 15.07.03.

I don't know who makes the tuner, someone would have to take the top off and hope there is a manufacturers label inside.

As far as I am concerned the picture is excellent. There is banding but I don't know how common this is even on more expensive panels. Perhaps someone could tell me if this common across the price range.

I have found a three websites relating to Techwood including the States, Japan and Holland.

One thing I have found is this, it takes a while for the picture to settle down, mine took about 2 weeks before I stopped fiddling with the contrast etc. But I have found this with cathrode ray tvs as well.

Let me know what you think of it once you yours arrives

Best wishes.