Techwood 32" & 37" TVs from Woolworths

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by liam 360, Dec 20, 2006.

Tags:
  1. liam 360

liam 360
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    After almost settling on the Woolworths 32" technosonic (many thanks to the vast advice on here) i come accross this one also from woolies;

Woolworths 37" Techwood

# 37" LCD Screen
    # HDMI Input
    # HD Ready
    # NICAM Stereo
    # 2 x Scart Sockets
    # 1000 Page Text
    # Headphone socket
    # A/V Connections
    # NTSC Playback
    # Auto set-up
    # Remote Control
    # Instruction book

does anyone know anything about this lcd? google had no trace of it, i have searched the forums and found a thread from someone else but it had the wrong title so thought this lcd needed its own thread.

the size difference from 32 to 37 is pretty huge for only 25% more pricewise.

I shall be using the lcd for XBOX 360 and hopefully if it has vga as a pc screen, is 37" too big to use as a pc screen?

i will try to find more info on it tomorrow when i visit the Newcastle Woolies so stay tuned here for that.

Anyone?

2. SatDude

SatDude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Hi, I think it’s now time to start a thread about this TV, the technosonic 32” thread is massive and we will see where are we going to get with this one, hopefully it will help as much people as the other thread did.
    It helped me! I had 2 Technosonic and I’m going to try the Techwood now… So if anyone here has one please post your reviews and comments.

Thanks

Techwood 32" TV

3. SatDude

SatDude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I was told yesterday by someone at the Woolworths help line that this TV and the Technosonic have the same specs, and that the difference is that the menus are different with more options and that this set is more reliable. If it really is I don't really know but I will tell you guys as soon as I get my hands on one.

4. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,256
    Merged a couple of similar threads.....

5. toycollector

toycollector

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Techwood made in TURKEY by Vestel.No idea of reliability.Does look very plasticky compared to the Thomson /Techno

6. liam 360

liam 360
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    How about changing the title to "Techwood 32" and 37" TV from Woolworths"

Since the posts you merged were about different sets!

thanks

7. Ballistic

Ballistic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Went into 2 different Woolworths around Derby today and the 32" is now a Techwood, not Technosonic.
    Both stores had 1 working display model (can't say I was that impressed)which they were taking orders from, couldn't confirm a delivery date.

8. Billposter

Billposter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hope someone comes on here with a review of the Techwood 37".

9. dapier

dapier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just finished working at Currys after 8 years and can tell you that the stockrooms are bulging with faulty Techwood LCD TVs no parts are available so if you buy one and it breaks down after a reasonable period say 18 mths then unless you have an 'extended warranty' you will be left with a worthless pile of s***

10. marty2005

marty2005

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +155
    I've just ordered the 37" Techwood. Should get by 28th - If I'd ordered last night I could have had it by 27th.

11. liam 360

liam 360
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    well please remember to come back here and post a review + pictures! damn choosing a tv is hard work, are you a 360 user marty?

12. brianl

brianl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just bought the 32 inch for £399. I think the fascia looks fairly smart. Free view from stb looks awful (as it does on most hd tvs). analogue receiver built in looks suprisingly good. Ill just use it as a monitor. Trying to feed it a signal with a dvi->hdmi cable from pc. works well and HD looks amazing! Problem is that i cant get picture to fill the screen. Any suggestions?

There is no VGA input.

13. marty2005

marty2005

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +155
    No VGA input? Are you 100% sure?

I might have to cancel my order as I planned to use the HDMI input for dvd recorder.

14. geeforce2006

geeforce2006

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :hiya: Picked up my 37" Techwood from Woolies on Thursday - bit of a bummer really as on Friday they reduced the online price by £100 to £499! -I've e-mailed them to try and get my money back.(The reduction is only untill the 26th of december though!) Im going to use mine for the Xbox 360, the 32" techwood has component input so I am asuming this one has aswell - I will open it on Christmas day and as soon as I've tested it I'll tell you all how it is! - Ill try and post some picks aswell!

15. marty2005

marty2005

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +155
    Can't you have a quick peek now?

What does it say on the box?

16. Billposter

Billposter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1

Could you return the first one and order a second one at the reduced price ? Can you only return for any reason if it's bought online ?
    A little bit of a hassle but for £100 I'm sure some would think it worthwhile.
    Easier of course if they said will give you the first one at the lower price and issue a refund for £100. Of course if it's only cheaper if you order online then buying and collecting from the store puts you at a disadvantage if the store price is higher.

17. SatDude

SatDude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Hi, after 2 technosonic I was told to exchange it and get the techwood, as this TV was better. I have it now and in my opinion the TV is rubbish, ok sd quality might e a tiny little bit better but between this TV and the techno I'll pick the techno, the techwood looks very cheap, no vga connection and I had it all sorted with the techno via dvi/hdmi and vga and this one I can't get it to work properly with dvi/hdmi. I don't like it, not easy to change between connections and the specs are defiantly not the same. I would say the techno is better!!!

BTW not sure if it was a great idea to merge this two threads…..

18. mastermax

mastermax
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    hi mate what specs do you think are different between techsnic and twoody ?
    IF you liked the techno, why didn't you stick with it then??

19. weebroonieuk

weebroonieuk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi mate i have the 37incher aswell just got a dvi to hdmi to rig it upto the media center

yes the remote is terrible and its painfully slow at changing inputs but this is more or less a temporary telly till the ps3 etc is out and it and the x360 work at 1080p and i will get a set that supports that ..

i only use the x360 and mce so changing inputs doesnt really happen alot for me so i can live with that...

what is driving me nutts is the dodgy resolution the tv is displaying from the pc

im gonna have to edit the ini file to get it at the exact resolution and hopefully that helps it ....

20. mastermax

mastermax
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    £500 is a lot of money for a temporary object!!

21. weebroonieuk

weebroonieuk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well i wont chuck it away or anything lol i keep buying the bargain sets and shuffling them round the house... kids are getting what was my bedroom telly, an acer 26 inch lcd to go with the media center ive built them for xmas

so ive got this 37incher at the foot of our bed... more imposing than i thought it would be and to think i was gunning for a 42incher.... :)

so sometime next year kids will get this one and il find somewhere for the 26 incher and buy a high end 37 for the bedroom as i think a 42 inch screen at the edge of the bed is just taking it too far!

good playing gears of war and pgr and fight night tho find myself ducking an diving more than i used too :p

22. mastermax

mastermax
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    what tv you got for your main living room?

23. weebroonieuk

weebroonieuk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    a 32 inch acer lcd lol! got it last year but it doesnt really get used due to work etc its come home shower eat and fall back on the bed and play the kids at some racing or shooting games through the system link thing, my fav is call of duty i always find out where they respawn and headshot them till they throw a tantrum and stop playing :D , the house was getting rewired kitchen and bathroom etc so the place has been turned upside down and the bedrooms have basically been made into our living room for the moment anyways...

Im still struggling to get this monitor to set itself properly had a good go at it with powerstrip but still the same amount of outlining around the picture and the area that is displayed isnt very good atall....

24. geeforce2006

geeforce2006

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :hiya: Have spoken to woolworths about the fact that the price was reduced by £100 but they have said that they wont refund the difference (Amazons policy is far better - if the price is lowered within 28 days they refund you the difference) - anyway for anyone who payed the higher price the best thing to do is order the T.V again and then return it on the other reciept (as reccomended by Woolworths customer servces!) - cant see the logic in it myself but will do it to get some money back. The only new downside is that there is no collect at store option so you have to pay £25 for delivery - its still worth it for £75 back though! - As far as info on the box is concerned though, it's as sparce as woolworths own website - not much info at all. If this TV turns out to be rubbish though the Evesham one on their website looks food for £479 even if it is 32" - it comes with a 2 year swap out warranty aswell!

25. SatDude

SatDude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Because i had a faulty set mate, and to have a good one for christmas i got it axchanged for the techwood but is going back for another techno!

26. geeforce2006

geeforce2006

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :hiya: Happy Christmas all - We have opened the 37" T.V this morning and it looks great, dispite some comments that it looks cheap I think that it looks quite smart. There is also a cool blue ring of light around the power button when the T.V. is on standby. As for the picture quality - Its very good. Admittedly I havent watched T.V through it yet as I am only using it with the Xbox 360 but through the component connection it is good. It is capable of full 1080i HD aswell. I will say that it is not as good as my other HD TV. although that is a 40" sony Bravia which was getting on for £2000 so for value for money this is excellent. I have yet to try it with the new Xbox hd-dvd player but I will do soon. I will try and post pictures later - Overall though I would reccomend this T.V for the money.

27. marty2005

marty2005

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +155
    What inputs does this tv have?

MX

28. geeforce2006

geeforce2006

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it has 2 scarts plus 1 on the side, a compnent input, a HDMI input, there is also a s-vhs input aswell as ariel and other sound input and outputs. Unfortunately there is no VGA so you would have to use a VGA to HDMI cable connector.

29. Billposter

Billposter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1

I hope Santa didn't have any trouble getting it down the chimney. :hiya:

30. lambert

lambert
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi

I bought the 37inch instore for 500, absolute bargin !!!

Tv definatly doesnt look as swanky as your samsungs and such but it DOES however take up less room i think. The speakers on the side aren't stupidly oversized.

as for picture quality well Ive looked around for a while and I know you cant judge the image quality you see instore but I was fairly scared tbh about how the image would look like. I hooked up the arial and tuned it in, image was ok actually. Then thought see what scart looks like from the digi box, picture was top notch ! So big sigh of relief there I think :eek:)

Im currently trying to figure out how to get my pc working on it. Bit gutted theres no VGA, thats abit stupid. had a look on net and seems like best way is DVi to hdmi at the mo so went over to currys comet etc to get one. Had a rarther large shoc to see the prices of hdmi cables and also the hdmi to dvi convertor. All the guys in there told me its the only way so just before letting go of 70 quid I had a look in Maplin. Guy was very helpful, thought Id saved myself 30 quid by getting a hdmi to dvi lead but then saved myself even more when i spotted the hdmi to dvi convertor ( male hdmi ) as I already have a dvi cable so YEY !! total cost 8 quid from what I thought would be over 70!!!

Anyway, if anyone could help me out with what I should do to get the pc onto the TV ( I wanna see what cs looks like on it as thats the only game I play really, lol ) Its just ive read that if you send the wrong signal it can break !??!!?

Anyone wants to know anything else feel free to ask away. I cant give a mark out of 10 before Ive had my pc hooked up to it but for normal TV this TV is sooo much better than I was expecting !!!