1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Techtronics - what is this site like?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by anu, Jul 1, 2003.

1. anu

anu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm trying to buy a DVD Player atm (and a bit lost half the time! I keep changing my mind!) and I found this site (www.techtronics.com). It's cheap, looks decentish and does Multi Region. Could anyone give opinions on the site - anyone bought from there, recommending or rejecting? Your opinions would really help me, it's just that I've never bought something expensive like this over the net, either!

cheers :)

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do a search on these forums, and check pricerunner for comments (enter in the DVD player you're looking at a click read retailer comments)

3. Rochdale

Rochdale
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I bought my first DVD player from Techtronics a couple of years ago and at the time it was fairly expensive at £650 and I didn't have any problems with them.

When it got stolen they even looked through their records for the serial number for me. I was happy with the service I got.

Some other people have had good service and some people say they had problems, it's usually the same with an online retailer.

4. anu

anu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the tip about searching for old posts - I had no idea that they were so popular for buyers and at the same time had so many complaints! I just thought that although they made the player multiregion (which looks pretty well done most of the time), they would still give a warranty - and for some reason, everything I buy NEVER works straight away :D

[swear word removed by admin] knows who I'm gonna find now, might just go and get ripped off from the high street ;)

5. boogie man

boogie man
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    i have bought two dvd over years (5-6 years ago) from them and never had a fault on them yet they are both still going strong both mult region the missies dad got the first one sony 725 and my sony s7700

boogie man
    :clap:

6. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That doesn't mean anything.

[all comments relevant to all retailers]
    If/when something goes faulty and you contact them- do they have good CS or not? Does it take 20 mins+ on hold to get through, and when you do are you passed around like a hot potato? Do they promise your account will be refunded or a new DVD P. one will be dispatched? and when it does, is that one new & working? Do they get arsey with you at any point?

7. boogie man

boogie man
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    i was on about the reliability of the dvd players as some people have had faults but other have not like myself thats all

boogie man

8. anu

anu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thing is, everyone who has said they are good, hasn't had to use their customer service. Everyone who has (on this message board) has had problems with their customer service. That's worrying, and I'd basically be going by chance about whether they send me a good player (which apparently they do majority of the time) or whether it has a fault - because I don't have anywhere near enough time to mess about with poor customer service. Also, as I said, nothing EVER works for me straight away, so I'm not gonna bother!

9. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +7,236
    Moved to DVD players forum.

Greg

10. luv ya jen

luv ya jen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    before sales= excellent
    after sales = disgusting

11. domfjbrown

domfjbrown

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not quite - I had one of those bloody useless Sony 525 players from them (you know the one - rave reviews, then 3 months down the line after you've found out for yourself - oh look - lipsync bugs - aaggggggh!) and when the thing started the usual Sony lipsync problems, they gave me loads of info to get it sorted - which worked up to a pont. I could have done with the firmware upgrade but wasn't going to throw more money at the Sony - but the advice Techtronics gave me worked as a stopgap.

I then bought a Samsung S224 off them last year to tide me over, as the multi region hack on remote didn't disable Macrovision (I have a Sony telly so Macrovision makes DVD look like bad VHS half the time!). It's been pretty reliable - although I was gutted to find that Samsung had not bothered to fix all their glitches with firmware in their current range (random subtitles and commentator tracks anyone) - note that's not a pop at Techtronics - they have no control over manufacturers' firmware.

I'll probaby be buying a Pioneer 656A off of them too - BUT - anyone know a site that's cheaper, and still has as reliable a multimod - as the Richers mods don't sort Macrovision and seem to limit player functionality...?

12. davidwatsonok

davidwatsonok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    I've bought a Pioneer 656 (January) and a Pioneer D811S (June) from them and I have to agree, their selling service is fine. After buying the DVD I found they had charged my credit card twice, and it took me 2 weeks and the threat of driving 110 miles to the store to demand a refund in person to sort out. After buying the amp I had a few doubts about its suitability in my setup and tried to contact both their customer services and technical support in vain. Their products are top quality, delivery is fine, but the only way to speak to anyone after that is to phone the sales line and demand that whoever answers deals with your problem. No-one answer any of the other phone lines and e-mails seem to be generally ignored. If you can put up with appalling aftersales then there are bargains to be had.

try these before you buy :-
    http://www.priceguideuk.com/
    http://www.kelkoo.co.uk/
    http://www.dealtime.co.uk/
    http://www.easyvalue.com/
    http://uk.pricerunner.com/
    http://www.richersounds.co.uk/
    http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm
    http://www.avland.co.uk/
    http://www.empiredirect.co.uk/
    http://www.cramptonandmoore.co.uk/

13. john kelly

john kelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have brought from them about ten dvd players over the years and the last one was a pioneer 454, the player claims to play all discs but it doesnt got an older model a 525 plays everything but the new one wont, tried to speak to jess in technical but he claims the discs are at fault, will only speak via e-mail i think he is scared of people over the phone.

i told them the old one plays but they want you to send it back at your costs ect and charge you if they find nothing wrong, i asked to speak to jess over the phone and for weeks he does not call, speak to someone in customer service and they say ill get him to call but with no luck, all i want is a player that plays the discs.

got so fed up thinking of taking them to a small claims court as the player clearly does not do what it says, they are not interested as they have had your money.

brought a pioneer 636 from sevenoaks multi region ect plays all discs no problem, my advise is they offer crap service is the unit goes wrong so look else were, i will in future, i have also posted the e-mail from there returns department for you to read.

wanted a player that plays, did not ask for money back or anything and offered to pay for better player and pay difference and still they are not interested.

ps techtronics if you read this, your service sucks.

Dear Sir,

The earliest I can arrange collection for will be Thursday, or any weekday
    after this. The time slots that are available are 9am to
    5pm, 1pm to 5pm or 4pm to 9pm. Please advise
    when will be most convenient for collection. As this is a
    warranty repair the carriage charge will be £23.50 please forward
    credit card details to 01778 562449 or fax to 01778 562423

Once we receive credit card details and a confirmation that you will accept the
    inspection fee as set out below than I can a collection for you. You will need to
    ensure that 2 or 3 sample discs are included with the player and are clearly marked
    with the rma number you will receive.

Please attach a label to :

Techtronics (European) Ltd
    Unit 12
    King Street Industrial Estate
    Langtoft
    Peterborough
    PE6 9NF

You will need to include the rma number which I will give
    you once the collection has been arranged. Please
    return all the original packaging and do not deface the
    box.

Any item returned to Techtronics for repair and is found
    not to have a fault will be charged for inspection £35.00 plus vat
    and carriage as per our terms and conditions.
    If the reported fault is that the player will not play a specific
    type of disc then a sample disc must be included in the return.

Regards

Kate

Returns
    :thumbsdow

14. Grimley

Grimley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought my Sony 525 from them way back in 1999. Still plays OK but I will not be buying from Techtronics anymore after reading the comments about their customer service here....

15. andrewjh009

andrewjh009

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wot he said:)

16. luv ya jen

luv ya jen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    at the mo i have an "issue" with them over my sony tv a kd36"nx200 basically the screen is lower at the sides than it is in the middle (best way of describing this is its like a rainbow) before i bought it they were great now its like getting hold of saddam hussain

17. domfjbrown

domfjbrown

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Urm - there'll be a way of getting into the service menu somehow - you can then adjust the geometry yourself. If you suss out the procedure - let me know as my KV25F2U (a Sony museam piece from 1996!) has a trapezoid distortion...

18. nealgs

nealgs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bought a Pioneer 525 from them about 4yrs ago - still going strong, but would say there after sales service has definately gone down the pan over that time.

IIRC Richers used to use them for their mods, but it would appear that they don't anymore, still worth trying richersounds though, as they have plenty of stores around, so easier to get problem fixed if anything goes wrong - allegedly :)

Gary

19. NickVardy

NickVardy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with all the posts so far saying their after sales service is terrible. I ordered a Philips DVD-1010 player and when the player finally arrived over 7 days later I was gutted to find their was a massive crack in the LCD display. So I then attempted to contact them.

I spent 30 minutes on a Friday afternoon trying to get thru to their returns department (on a number which was tucked away somewhere deep within their website) By the time I got thru I was told I had to phone back on Monday morning as the returns had all gone home. This was at 4:30pm !!

I sat all weekend with a busted DVD player until Monday when I phoned back and was very promptly told I had to e-mail all the details to their return department. I did this and 2 days I recieved an e-mail back saying i had to package it up and they gave me 3 choices of times for delivery on the next day. I e-mailed back and said i would take the early slot 9am - 1pm i think it was.

So almost a week after initially reporting the problem I had a courier arranged to pick up the damamged player. I took the next day off to work to make sure I was in when the courier turned. I didn't see a courier the whole day. I tried phoning again but got no answer, I then tried this so called live help option on their website. Biggest waste of space ever. I posed a question as to where the heck my courier was, for over an hour I didn't recieved a response. I got an e-mail back at about 5pm ish saying in very unfriendly and unhelpful words "Contact returns at 9am tomorrow!" And that was it !!

At this point I was furious, so i did as i was i very unpolitely told and actually managed to get whole of someone in Returns. She informed me the courier ran out of time so didn't come to collect. On being asked why I wasn't told this she just said "its their company policy!" She did arrange a courier for the same day to pick up after I got home from work, after 5pm. Okay fine !

When I got home I was horrified to discover a card thru my door saying someone tried to collect a parcel at 3pm but couldn't gain an answer. So I phoned again but of course their was no-one their coz i didn't get in from work till 5pm. 10 days after first reporting the damage the player was finally picked up and taken back.

After many many e-mails after this time to enquire as to the status of my replacement, another 10 or so had passed before they arranged to deliver the replacement. Again more courier problems occured this time picking up from their place. Took a further 3 days to get to me.

All in all from the time of the first complaint it took about a month to actually get a fully working, undamaged DVD player. Was a given a discount ? All I recieved was a 2 line e-mail apologising for the delay.

Sorry this reply is so long but just wanted to get it off my chest....ahh i feel much better now. In short I wouldn't use them again....

20. ag_pusscat

ag_pusscat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Trying to buy a TV (Panasonic TX32-PS1) off of them at the moment. It's been 2 months now. They do the old "advertise a low price and have no stock" routine! Unfortunately no-one pricematches someone with no stock.

I'm in no rush so this isn't what bothers me. What does bother me is that Pricerunner keeps showing "in stock". I e-mailed them and they changed it to "out-of-stock". A week later ... yes it's apparantly in stock again.

It's not a good sign if Techtronics can't even be transparent about their stock levels. At least they don't take your money upfront.

21. mick_smoo

mick_smoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought my first dvd player (pioneer 737) from them about 4 years ago and it's still going strong. It was very cheap compared to other sites but still about £400 at the time. Would recommend them and am currently looking to buy a second player there too.

22. ag_pusscat

ag_pusscat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Well they're delivering tomorrow, so things are looking up - the price was cheap, but the wait was long.

23. leeb

leeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Have you seen Techtronics rating on Pricerunner lately? 4.6/5 from 57 reviews is about as high a rating as I've seen on there!! :eek: What's that all about then?

24. Easy2BCheesy

Easy2BCheesy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I ordered a DVD Recorder from Techtronics. I then found the same piece of equipment elsewhere for £80 cheaper. I cancelled my order with Tectronics. All seemed well, nothing turned up.

Fast forward to my credit card bill arriving. Sure, they didn't send the DVD recorder out (good) but they still charged me regardless (bad). I had about six weeks' worth of excuses and total inaction until they *finally* refunded my money after starting to get "heavy" with threats of reporting them to Trading Standards.

My advice is to steer clear of this company - from my experience they have no respect for the customer, only his money.