Techtronics! Read before ordering.

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Zebadee69, Nov 7, 2001.

1. Zebadee69

Zebadee69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    Just thought I should make anyone thinking of ordering from Techtronics aware of a problem I have with them.

I placed an order for a DVD Player, they charged my visa card and after 2 weeks I still hadn't recieved my player I contacted them to be told it was in the que still waiting to be modified.

I was unhappy as in my opinion they shouldn't charge until they despatch the goods, so I cancelled my order from which I recieved confirmation, but I'm still awaiting credit after 2 weeks/9 working days. I've contacted them twice, the first reply I was told that my credit is being processed, that was a week ago and I still haven't recieved a reply to my 2nd email.

Now unless they have a hugh backlog of returns/credits they should have credited me by now, a professional company should have no excuse as to why it should take so long.

SO, TECHTRONICS ARE FIRST CLASS FOR TAKING YOUR MONEY, BUT IF YOU HAVE A NEED TO RETURN YOUR GOODS OR IF YOU DECIDE TO CANCEL YOUR ORDER YOU'LL PROBABLY FIND YOURSELF BEING PUSHED TO THE BACK OF THE QUE, THINK WISELY BEFORE ORDERING.

2. rimmers

rimmers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I cancelled my order for a Toshiba SD210e because of its RCE problem and it took about 2 weeks to get a refund which I agree seems a bit long. I emailed them as well.

Then I ordered the Sony NS300 from them as they were the cheapest and it was delivered pretty quick.

So I guess the service is about as good as your going to get for the UK.

3. dochall

dochall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

I can't agree with that. Techtronics are constantly vilified on this board (and others) about the lack of customer service. Other companies do not come into nearly as much stick.

I have a dvd player from them which ordered and delivered in the timescales which they stated. No complaints there. However I would be in two minds about ordering from them again because of the stick they get. At least I haven't heard of them calling a customer a ****.

Try upgrade heaven who seem to have a better rep and actually sponsor a board and actually constantly stick their head above the parapets by posting and replying but I have not them seen them shot at.

4. Xav

Xav

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's been over 5 weeks since Techtronics "started" processing the paperwork to refund £300 for a dvd player they took 4 weeks to send to the wrong address.. I'm about to start legal action after getting legal advice.

People.. stay well clear of Techtronics ***!

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
  6. comeclickbuy

comeclickbuy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I must of been one of the lucky ones although i see huge amounts of criticism about there service, i ordered a Sony DVP S7000 from them about 6 months ago got it home found out i could not change region using the remote, i had several conversations in the LIVE chat they offer and finally we both agreed it was faulty, so i sent it back and within 3 days got a replacement player which works like a charm and the actual player is amazing,

but i would not order from them again hearing all the bad reports besides all my other equipment (AMP, speakers, Wire etc) came from www.hifijunkies.co.uk and they are SUPERB there service is second to NONE great prices will always match or beat a price i have nothing but praise for them.

7. PaulBoy

PaulBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    I had a similar experience to peterm69 ...
    Several weeks of being jerked around B4 I could speak to someone & eventually cancel my order
    I emailed Upgrade Heaven and within 2 working days had the DVD player I wanted ...

8. Zebadee69

Zebadee69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    I thought when ordering from Techtronics it was a very professional company, I thought there web page was fantastic, well thought out, informative and that's the reason I ordered from them, I just wish I knew what I know now.

Although I'm still awaiting a refund from them after nearly 3 weeks, straight after I cancelled my order with them I contacted another company 'Sound & Vision' advertised in the 'Home Entertainment' magazine regarding a Toshiba 900E, the follow day it was on my shelf playing a region 1 copy of Swordfish, I saved £175 compared to the Techtronics price.

Obviously I cannot comment on there customer service as I've had no reason to call them, but I do know when they state next day delivery, you get next day delivery. I also ordered my last player from them, a Pioneer DV-737 and I got exactly the same service.

9. IanB

IanB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I ordered a DVD player from Techtronics on Friday 9th November 2001 and then of course… found this thread.

I must admit all this talk about Techtronics has me worried, my order hasn't shown up on their tracking system but equally they haven't charged my credit card (I checked online before writing this reply) and while reading other threads I have seen some good words about Techtronics.

So what am I going to do?

Well, so far I personally haven't had any cause to call their actions in to question, their delivery times are a bit long by todays standards, however their policy of only delivering to the card address to protect against fraudulent purchases is commendable though rather inflexible.

I am a web designer so I know what a website like theirs would cost, the LivePerson feature alone is expensive and there are some other nice features, however 'Clothes do not make the man' - I could make the dodgiest company look positively world class online (thankfully though I have never been asked to). So I will have to go by their product quality, efficiency and if needed, their after sales performance.

I ordered from them knowing the machine might take up to 10 working days (that's working days - NOT including weekends) and that their prices are advertised WITHOUT VAT (VAT is added on the purchasing page). I hadn't read all the stories and info about them before purchasing but I will be examining the player, packaging and contents very carefully when it arrives.

If I'm not happy, the player will go back, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it, either way I will keep this thread updated.

As a final note (for now) I would say that no company will get it right everytime, though agreed some do better than others, and in the bigger picture, (picked at random as an example of a large company) Ford is one of the biggest car companies in the world - but I can bet there are an awful lot of people with a horror story about these cars. I would be interested in finding out if there is an industry standard ratio of 'complaints : happy customers' and which companies satisfy the criteria.

10. Darren_L

Darren_L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Well, I ordered a modified Pioneer 545 player online from Techtronics two weeks ago, and it arrived within five working days. It had been sent securely and the packaging was new. The player works perfectly and so far I am very satisfied.

IanB, it did take them several days to update their online tracking system to both acknowledge my order and process it. I'd be patient with them.

I've only just found this thread, and although I had heard that Techtronics have had some customer service problems, I did place an order with them. I'm usually a little sceptical about anonymous online postings by "ex-employees" making claims about a comapny (ref - Google thread)

I think that the analogy with Ford is a good one. I own a Ford from new and have had trouble-free perfect motoring for three years, but I know people who have had no end of trouble.

If you purchased using a credit card, and the coompany is messing you about, especially with refunds, contact the Credit Card company - don't they offer some sort of protection against this when buying mail order goods?

11. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    Every time I hear the name Techtronics my blood starts to boil....need I say more?

12. johnson

johnson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    To the two people who just ordered.
    I really,really hope you don't get any problems.Going from experience,you have bought players which, in effect have no warrenty.
    I have been there.
    Regards

13. IanB

IanB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm guessing you are talking about the multi region modification invalidating the manufacturers warranty?

Well, yes, I agree. But it's exactly the same as buying a PC and having extra memory put in it by the vendor, as soon as that cases comes off the warranty is blown out of the water.

I just checked the details of the player I ordered and Techtronics state that it comes with a 1 year warranty for parts and labour and their terms and conditions seem to be pretty standard in what the warranty covers.

Question: Are you saying from your experience with Techtronics that their warranty isn't worth anything or are you referring to an experience with another company?

14. johnson

johnson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi
    No I'm not talking about the multi-region mod.
    I'm talking about TT.If you have any problems they are not interested.
    I am not making this up,I have been there.I just don't want anyone else making the mistake I did.
    Regards

15. IanB

IanB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Friday 9 Nov: Placed order at 9.00am
    Monday 12 Nov: Received a confirmation email
    Tuesday 13 Nov: Credit Card payment taken
    Thursday 15 Nov: Shipped (Email received with courier details)
    Friday 16 Nov: Received & playing

As soon as I received my confirmation email I tried the online tracking facility, but, no go. Then the facility was taken offline for some repair work, but when it came back up, still no go. So I used the Live Help feature and spoke to George, he checked it out and found that my email address had been entered incorrectly into their database and to try again, this time bingo, sale confirmed.

As the week went on, they took their money and shipped the player. I must just point out, they shipped it with ANC who I have to say are fantastic. As soon as I could on Friday morning I rang my local depot and asked them to hold the parcel and I would pick it up as there was nobody in the house to receive it, unfortunately it had already gone out but they said they would radio the driver, pull it off and leave it in reception for me to collect later. That's what they did, no problems and no fuss. Also I must point out there was no carrier damage to the box, I stripped off the plastic bag to make sure the box was intact before I left their office and apart from one dent of no importance it was fine.

I got it all home and took a good look at everything, the box had been opened and re-sealed, but I expected that as the player had been modified. There was no sign of it ever being opened and re-sealed more than once, all the manuals etc were sealed in bags, bags that would be obvious it they had been opened before. Everything was packed as a new item should be. I then looked at the player, not a scratch, even the heads on the screws (which must have been removed to modify the player) were clean and tidy with no rounding of the heads etc. I plugged it in, connected it up and watched a movie, I have played with the features, I have recorded off it (with a little help from Techtronics ICQ support) and have now played a Region 1 DVD. Everything works as it should and I must say after all the worry I had, I am now very pleased.

So would I order from them again? I don't see why not. I'm looking to buy speakers after Christmas, they have the Eltax Atomic pack that has taken my fancy, if I can find them anywhere else cheaper then I'll buy them, other wise Techtronics it is.

I ordered in the knowledge that TT don't give a next day service so I was happy to wait a week, if I'd have wanted next day I'd have gone elsewhere. As it was I bought a player with a £900 review tag for £350 (inc vat) plus 3 DVD films - that's a bargain in my book.

If I had waited a week I could have had a free personal CD player with it…

…but hey, that life!

16. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    I think youve missed the point. The problem with techtronics is when things go wrong and you try to send your goods back.
    They are very good when it comes to taking your money thats for sure.
    After sales service from my experience is none existant. They had a girl on customer services who new nothing technical, who denied there was a proplem with my machine, who never answered my phone calls, who was on dinner brakes, gone home earley or out of the office all day. This is a company that thinks its ok to supply you with a dodgy player then charge you £25 to send it back, or deduct 15% off you refund plus postage. Or as in my case I sent the player back (charged £25) then when I got the player back it was still faulty. So they wanted me to send it back again!
    This company prays on people looking for a good price but believe me the extra you pay in he short term pays dividends if you have a problem later on. Lets hope you dont have one.

17. johnson

johnson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Ian,
    Good luck!

18. Blu-rayx

Blu-rayx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +300
    someone should report them to the bbc watchdog!

dvd

19. IanB

IanB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I do hear what you are saying and I thank you for it.

I hope I never have to update this thread with bad news.