1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Techtronics experience

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Voltaire, Dec 22, 2003.

1. Voltaire

Voltaire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Some days ago I was about to buy a new DVD player to replace the old Pioneer I bought from Techtronics 2 years ago. My choice was the Sony DVP-NS905VS modified in such a way to remove the limitation to access the menu when the DVD wants you to watch the adverts or other crap.
    Searching the web with the keywords “Sony 905 Techtronics” I have found this nice forum. Unfortunately, it was to learn about all the bad experiences people had from techtronics. Worse: some of them were, like me, former happy customers. Then, I search again and find other unhappy people. So, I decide to not buy from them. My problem was not sorted out, as I WANTED the modification to remove the limitation to navigate when and where I want in my DVDs.
    So, I have started a thread (called "User prohibition disabled" if you want to find it) in the forum asking were I can find the same mod from another supplier. No one could give me an answer.

At the same time, I was in contact with Techtronics. I actually had written to them before reading this forum and I always had got an accurate answer to all my questions in less than 24h! It was not matching what I was reading here!
    I then decided to carry on testing them. I sent some more emails, asking them about the stock, the quality of service and so on. I was in contact with Jess. Again and again, I was ALWAYS getting an answer the same day.

My dilemma was: In one hand Techtronics looks very fine to me and they are the only ones to make the mod I want; In the other hand, many people were consistently complaining about them. My experience of the web taught me to trust customers about Internet shops. I was not in hurry to get into trouble. I never am!

Some more days of daily email exchange with Jess has shown me that he never ever lost his patience with me. After all I was still and so far a happy customer. I then decided to give another try to them and have ordered my new Sony. This was Thursday. I was still in contact with Jess who promised to have a look at my order.

The next day, I send a mail to Jess with my order reference received the evening of the purchase. I then got an answer from somebody else who answered nicely that the player should be despatched the next Monday or Tuesday.

Monday: status= “Sent for picking”
    Tuesday: status=”Sent for picking” :( I then send an email asking about my order and when it will be actually picked. Same day I get an answer from Jess again, saying he was sorry to not answer previous mail but was due out of office. They were having a backlog of one day because of christmas. Not a real problem for me, I can live with that.
    Wednesday: status= “Sent for picking”. Did I make a mistake?…
    Thursday: late morning, Jess send me a mail saying that my player has been sent to me. He gives me a reference number to track it online from InterlinkExpress. I give a try and Interlink’s web site doesn’t know about my parcel. What’s wrong? Remembering my Interlink experience 2 years ago, I decide to not worry too much about that and wait. Nevertheless, I send an email to Jess telling him about the problem. The same evening, I get the official Techtronics email telling me about the despatch of my player. Meanwhile, Jess confirms I should have it by Friday.
    Friday: noon: Interlink tries to deliver the player, I am not at home but they leave a card (which UPS or Parcel force most of the time don’t even bother doing). The ref on the card is not the one given by Techtronics. I don’t actually mind. They have my player and that’s all I care about.
    I call Interlink who’s almost unable to tell me about my parcel on the phone but say it will be delivered again on Monday. I can pick it myself on Saturday between 8am and 10am. I am not that keen on having the alarm clock on a Saturday morning but I won’t be there on Monday either so…
    Saturday: I wake-up early and go in North Acton by tube followed by a long walk into Royal Park under a heavy cold rain. Terrible journey! I eventually find them and request my parcel. Interlink is unable to locate it! They call a driver to know if he is not currently delivering it to my home. I ask about Saturday delivery as on the phone I have been told that there is no delivery on Saturday. Did I come for nothing? Well, they have a big backlog and they try to catch-up. After intensive search they eventually find it and I can go back to the tube under the same heavy rain but with my big box in my arms.
    Arrived home, I open the box and immediately tries a couple of things:
    • The first cartoon DVD (actually edited by Sony) with the awfully nerving 5mn introduction before arriving to the menu is …skipped! Hurray!!! :clap:
    • The second DVD is a Disney zone 1: It works fine and I can skip the crap as well! Double Hurray!! :clap: :clap:
    • I then try other stuff like mp3 playing as I have read that some functionalities might be harmed and it all works really fine! :smashin:
    I eventually have the player I wanted. :clap: It had been delivered almost on time (I do not consider that 24h is a very big deal, especially when you have permanent contact with the shop). And the modification I have paid for is working exactly as mentionned. The only disappointment is the free BBC comedy DVD which is in fact a trailer with 4 episodes of series I don’t even know and the funniest of it: it is a Pioneer DVD. But honestly, I absolutely don’t mind and some customers might appreciate it when I just don’t care! If I were Techtronics, I would also check how things are really working with Interlink as the tracking system on Interlink's side sounds weak. On the other hand the "overnight delivery" means really "overnight". So... as long as it is fast and working...

Conclusion:

I have written this long text because I consider that it is always good to give feedback about such experience. I would have been cheated, disappointed or whatever, I would have written the same kind text, probably longer and nasty enough to say how unhappy I am. I consider that it is unfair to have only unhappy customer giving feedback but it is true that the happy ones don’t take time to give feedback. After all, this long text is only to say that I have simply got what I have paid for. This is not what I call a big deal in itself. But I am running my own business (not an internet shop actually) and I always feel so happy when a customer takes time to come to me and say how happy he/she has been of my services. I have a rule: say as loud how happy or unhappy you are. In all cases it should help the business owner to improve the service.
    In the current case, I always got an answer to all my mails in less than 24h. Every answer I have got was accurate and complete. This was what made me deciding to give another try.
    This doesn’t mean that the unhappy experiences you can read about are not true. This is just about one single purchase. You conclude what you want out of it. I have no interest in Techtronics and I have been in contact with them only twice in my life, for buying my 2 players. So far, I consider buying my next player from them as well.

By the way, I am currently very pleased with the player itself but this is another story! :)

Regards.

2. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do u work for Techtronics ?

3. Nike

Nike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    From what I've read about Techtronics, there's no problem with them at all if they stock what you want and it works when you get it.
    The problems occur if something should fail and after-sales 'service' is required.

4. Voltaire

Voltaire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No. I don't. Do you?

5. Voltaire

Voltaire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Then I will see... But this is very true that you know the quality of a service with the after-sale. I cannot speak much about it as I did not have (and wish I will not have) to deal with it.

6. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    :D Been there, done that! That is THE ABSOLUTE worst courier depot in the world to find! Then the staff are about the most useless bunch of muppets once you get there. :mad:

Glad the DVD player worked out in the end, you deserve it! :smashin:

7. jelly

jelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    abosutley no problem at all with techtronics BEFORE payment after as long as you have a perfect purchase if not there the company from hell

8. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    Yeah, if your mod didn't work as exactly the way they said it should then they will do anything to ignore the problem.

9. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +7,104
    Moved to DVD players forum.

10. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    As nice as Techtronics were, its all pre-sales etc.

I've never dealt with Techtronics except once when I asked about a dvd player mod and hte price was so stupidly high that there was absolutely no chance any sane person would have gone for it. It was about £100 for the round trip.

However I know so many people that have had bad experience dealing with them. I would only consider buying from them if it was an absolute bargain price and would have to use my credit card.

11. andy572

andy572
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Likewise, except for the "consider buying" portion. I wouldn't even do that! :laugh:

12. Adam M

Adam M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    They took 7 months, yes 7 months to get my sony davs550 to be able to read dvds again.

It was still in its initial warranty period and I had to pay for shipping to them and back.

My HS10 was sent back recently, and sony sorted everything within a few days.

13. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    WEll a friend of mine has spent over a week trying to order some stuff from them and he just cant place the order!!!
    I think they are overstrectched offer too much stock and struggle with back up as Voltaire says they do the mod he wanted, thats cool but would he pay a few £££'s more for that, I would !!!

14. DTech

DTech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    What do you all expect - when some things are rediculously cheaper than the price you pay on the high street, you need to have a little bit of patience - yes it doesn't turn up tomorrow, yes it may be difficult to talk to someone and yes it may be frustrating - but when my plasma turned up 4 weeks later than planned it was still £1300 cheaper than the local panasonic dealer - and no I don't work for them

15. Mr. Wilby

Mr. Wilby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    DTech, good luck! Hope nothing goes wrong with it or else you'll be kicking yourself. DIRE *DIRE* customer service. Worst company out there for AV hardware IMO.

16. Garbage_Guy

Garbage_Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A few years ago I sent my Panasonic A100 to them to be Multiregion'd I think the cost was £50.
    I got the player back with full instructions a few days later, but they did not cash my cheque for months, then I got it back in the post untouched and uncashed !!
    Nice freebie :)
    I'd use them again, but nowadays most of these cheap players come region free anyway.