Techtronics - Anyone else getting delays?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Blow Dog, Jan 22, 2004.

1. Blow Dog

Blow Dog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm..
    I bloody knew I should have posted here before I went ahead.
    I'm having a nightmare of a time with my Multimod chip.

In December, I order a Multimod chip online for my HT900 Panasonic (which I love by the way).
    Get a phone call the next day to arrange a pick up the following Monday. Great, I pay the guy and put the phone down. Sunday, I pack the unit.

Nobody arrives Monday.
    Or Tuesday.
    Or Wednesday.
    So I call up and find out what the hell's going on. Woman answers the phone and promises to find out and call me back in 10 mins. That was the last I ever heard from her, and I assumed the last I heard of Techtronics.

10 days later, a courier turns up at my door asking for a DVD player. I laugh out loud at him and think, ah, what the hell they're here now. So I pack the unit up and hand the box over.

I'm expecting a 5 day delivery from date of pickup as promised when I purchased the chip, so when 7 days pass, I get a little worried. So I call them. No answer, straight to voicemail. I leave a message. Nobody calls back.
    The next day, I attempt to call again. The same. So I log onto their 'online chat' facility. I'm greeted by what I assume is a customer service representative.

Me: Hi, I'm concerned because my unit has been delayed numerous times, keen to establish when it's due to be delivered?
    Operator: Send an email to jharrington@techtronics.com, he'll answer you.
    Me: Great, is he able to answer me as quick as he receives the email?
    Operator: That's his job, isn't it?
    Me: Is that a rhetorical question?
    THE OPERATOR HAS TERMINATED THIS CHAT

Oh effin great.
    So I send an email to this guy who is good enough to reply 24 hours later. He says the unit is shipped Friday night so should be with me either Saturday (if they're open) or Monday morning.

Well, it's now Thursday and the unit still hasn't arrived. I have emailed him again this morning, but received no reply. "Why don't you call him?" I hear you cry! How about I call them 10 times today - just rings and rings and then goes to an answerphone.

My last email to them stated that I wanted my unit back, whether it was chipped or not. But no reply.
    What's even funnier is I filled in their online customer feedback form. But it didn't go up. Isn't that funny? Seems they selectively place the 5 star ratings only!

Will I every use them again? Probably not. But I'll ask you all to make your own decisions based on my experience. Some may be even looking at my post count and be wondering why a newbie should be believed. I know a few of the posters here personally and you can check the forums I own below.

I'm not so worried about late deliveries. We're human and some things are beyond our control. What I can't stand is shoddy customer service and a lack of feedback - I honestly believe that the people answering the phones and doing the 'customer service' thing just do not care.

Very disappointed but still without my unit :mad:
    Does anyone else have any bad experiences here?

Cem

2. Gizmo 76

Gizmo 76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +522
    I have had a pretty bad experience with this company, being without a DVD for a month i think:mad: There are a fair few threads relating to this company, try the search function for many stories!!

I kept a record of every phone call and attempted contact, could i thought that it might go further than pleasant discussions;)

The best way i found of getting to talk to someone, was to phone their shop floor saying that the phone system keeps cutting you off and then they either put me through to someone or got somebody to ring. The shop floor usually always answers:D

So in my opinion they customer service is totally unacceptable!!!

Hope it all works out for you,

Giz.

3. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Sadly this seems typical of this company's Customer Service (sic) .. several such reports can be found about them, seems they're okay to deal with until something goes wrong. :thumbsdow

4. steve36

steve36

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Thanks for the info, I was considering buying an LCD TV from them, but they seem to confirm what I always say to the post
    'where's the cheapest place for xyz', cheap is not always good.

I still find it hard to understand how a firm that has been modding etc for so long can survive with totally unacceptable customer service.

Steve

5. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Blow Dog,

Thought I'd logged onto the wrong forum for a minute there... ;)

Recognise you from Scoobynet/22B forums :) - The founder of the Muppet collective none the less... :D ;)

Small world ;)

I'd be lying if I said you were the first person to have a "bad experience" with Techtronics - some people swear by them but a quick search on here will reveal a few interesting stories :( Sorry I can't post anything more positive...

K.

6. Attu

Attu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    Wow very small world, Im also a Scoobynet regular :), I hope you get it sorted out quick Cem.

7. Adam M

Adam M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    How comes I have never heard of either of you then?

I believe I am older school than blowdog, and I brought the sod onto this bloody forum!

Not happy! ;)

8. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    :laugh:

I stopped posting regularly on Scoobynet about 18 months ago - I still browse the site pretty much everyday but unless something important comes up I tend to stay quiet...

When I do post I use the same alias as I do on here - I've been registered on Scoobynet since late 2000 - the good old days prior to the influx of trolls and wingers! ;)

I've never posted much on 22B.com but again, I browse it pretty frequently... :)

K.

9. Attu

Attu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    Hmmm Im a regular Midlands Scoobyneter and go to most of the local meets, have done for about 2 years now and ive got well over 1,000 posts on Scoobynet :)
    Im a good friend of Scooby_Si who has a 22B, infact I was thrashing it round Elvington for him last weekend.
    Ive got a UK MY98 PPP thats going into TSL for a new clutch next week :(.
    Is Adam the same Adam thats got a 22B and a P1 (Simons old P1 with the Motec and roll cage )??? if so I was parked the row infront of you at the Big one.

10. Adam M

Adam M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Attu, not sure about the last bit.

Don't recall being at the big one and certainly would never own a P1 but it is me with the 22B and I don't know of any other Adams who post on both forums who has one.

I post as Adam M here, there and on 22b.com and sadly have approachign 6000 scoobynet posts since joiing in 1999.

11. stricko

stricko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Back to the Techtronics theme.............

I've used them in the past and they were OK, But has anyone else noticed that their web site has been kinda strange for a few days. Are they still in business?

12. Dave H

Dave H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    I see a lot of Suburoos in my rear view mirror.

13. Blow Dog

Blow Dog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

Indeed small world.
    Gets worse.

I get an email from them today 'claiming' that the unit will be finished end of today and shipped tonight.
    "Hold on!" I think, "That's what they said last Friday?"

So I ask him why they lied to me last week. He then blames the workshop and claims he's only passing on instructions. This guy obviously wants no responsibility at all.

So now they claim a Monday, Tuesday delivery. 5 days into 3 weeks....

Annoyed.

Cem

14. Vodder

Vodder
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can't say for sending players to them for multimods to be fitted, but my experience was excellent!

Ordered a Pioneer 565A last Wednesday, delivered Monday. They pricematched a competitor so i only paid £186 and the player is an absolute dream!

As an added bonus, "Jess" (very helpful!!) in sales forwarded me on a leaflet that gets me 3 free DVD-audio discs too! Bit dodgy selection but hey can't have everything!

15. kyle reece

kyle reece

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    all i can say is that you are lucky getting it back in just 3 weeks!!
    i bought a technics dvda10 from techtronics it went faulty 14 days later!!
    got it uplifted and back to them for repair, didn't hear anything from them for a week so e-mailed etc nearly every day.
    3 months later yes 3 MONTHS got the player back, it went back as a multiregion player came back as a region 2 only player, so sent it back again.
    got it returned a couple of weeks later & now works fine but i don't think i will deal with them again

16. Blow Dog

Blow Dog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Christ 3 months!
    That frightens me.

Cem

17. Blow Dog

Blow Dog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    3rd week, Monday.
    Still no DVD player.:mad:

Cem

18. on_targetz

on_targetz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Their place is about 30mins North of Peterborough (Cambs.), in the middle of nowhere...!!

May be worth a visit to demand your player back.

When I 'called in' to purchase an E100 after being messed about, having tried to purchase via their website, the guy went out back (for 10mins)...........

:boring:

Maybe he was hoping I'd get fed up and go away, but no I was still there when he showed his face (albeit even more irate than I was when I first got there :mad: ).

Suffice to say I took my custom elsewhere.

19. Blow Dog

Blow Dog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Must show them this thread.
    Tuesday, still no DVD player.

Promise no.4 broken. Unbelievable.

Cem

20. vizslaraner

vizslaraner
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I believe the above to be a succinct and accurate summation of their performance, though I would argue the term “Customer Service”, for surely such a term does not exist in their lexicon.

My understanding of the term is of a department (or body of individuals) dedicated to error correction and the improvement of company performance (delivery integrity etc). It would appear, however, their inter-departmental communication skills (for this is what is at the core of the problem) are as poor today as they were when I dealt with them 2/3 years ago.

Ultimately it is one of effective cost management, for having so much time and effort wasted on unravelling an almost incessant steam of complaints must surely impinge on profitability – which rather begs the question of how they’ve managed to remain in business?

Is the fault ours? Are we living in denial (“surely they cannot be that bad”) or have we merely turned into a realm of internet shopping masochists, subliminally wanting to experience the worst of service in order to whinge on forums such as these?

Fortunately my dealings with them were not a complete disaster. Indeed they turned somewhat comical, but I cannot recommend them. As KraGorn states, “seems they’re okay to deal with until something goes wrong”. They, like the beat of a butterfly’s wing, are the living proof of chaos theory. Woe betides the person who has failed to dot an I or cross a T – or has had the misfortune of having a butterfly alight on their order.

21. Blow Dog

Blow Dog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    heh - very nice :)

Cem

22. hearts

hearts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
  23. Uzey

Uzey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Christ!!!
    I 'WAS' going to order a Sony 730 from these guys because their 'modchip' is supposed to be good!
    I can't be dealing with crap customer service, not if I'm spending 130 GBP with them!

24. Tony Randal

Tony Randal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's a similar price at RGBDIRECT, but I have no idea what their customer service is like. Or how good the mod is for that matter.

25. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Count your self lucky we have been try to buy a set of modchips for for 4 weeks, and have given up! Fortunatley they would be on account so dont have to pay until they turn up but trying to get through to even order them was a nightmare!

26. Uzey

Uzey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just emailed Techtronics, pointing them towards this link. Maybe no-one has ever told them how crap they really are!
    Maybe it will do some good for the existing customers who have parted with good money and been good enough to give them their business, only to be messed around!
    Luckily, people like me have read threads like this and now know to steer well clear of Techtronics and it's services!

27. Attu

Attu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    I was going to order a Pioneer 565 from them but after reading this thread I went to Richer sounds, I ordered it thursday last week and it came monday...cant get better than that :)

Andy

28. Blow Dog

Blow Dog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just to let you all know.
    I eventually DID get the unit back. Unfortunately, when I took it out of the box, the front panel was hanging loose off the DVD player and I now have a missing chunk of plastic from the left side of the unit.

I won't be calling them to fix it simply because it's better sometimes to just forget about it and move on - otherwise I feel myself building into a rage.

Only use this firm if the following applies to you:
    - You don't care for obsene delays
    - You love shoddy customer service
    - You love the fact that there is nobody ever available to talk to you
    - You hate prompt and punctual service
    - You hate your unit so much that when it comes back damaged, you don't give a flying ****.

Sorry Techtronics, you suck.

Cem