Techtronics and Toshiba

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Arthur.S, Oct 20, 2001.

1. Arthur.S

Arthur.S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Glad you're happy. I went through a very similar 'scene' with them. They never did solve it though :( Took about 9 weeks to get a refund!! :eek:

2. chicken balti

chicken balti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone who has read my previous posts will know the saga of the noisy (very) disc transport on my Techtronics modded Toshiba SD900E. After much pulling of hair and gnashing of teeth the player was sent back with the specific instruction that it be replaced and not repaired, this seemed fair given that it was faulty out of the box.

A week passed with no contact from Techtronics, I wondered how long it actually took to check if a transport was noisy. I'm no technician but I noticed the problem within a second of inserting a disc. One e-mail later and they promised to check with the workshop engineer and come back to me when they had some news. This did not bode well. Why was an engineer getting involved in what should have been a straight replacement?

A couple of days later I received a mail stating the player had been despatched and the day after it duly arrived. Now, I took the precaution of noting the serial number on the unit before sending it back and realised that they had returned the same player. I was ready to fire off another mail asking them to collect it and refund my money but I thought I'd see if the fault was cured. On inserting the first disc it was obvious the unit was performing perfectly, no transport noise at all.

You have to realise that this player is bl00dy expensive, has a sublime picture and superb sound, the pull was too much and I decided to keep it, after all it was working perfectly as it should be. The added incentive is that, once again, RCE discs played without any intervention of any kind whatsoever, no prechecks, no hard set to region 1, no nothing, they just played without any bother with full menu functions.

It seems to me that Techtronics technical expertise is unquestionably excellent, where they fall down is in their quality control (or lack thereof) and their utterly abysmal, frustrating and non-existent after sales service. I'm a happy man now but I have been severely p1ssed off in the past few weeks.

If there is anything to be learned here its that you should count yourself relatively lucky if a Techtronics player works perfectly out of the box, if you get problems you've really got problems BUT, if you persevere with them you'll get there in the end.

Good luck.