Technotrend S2-3650 driver for windows vista Media Centre?

muddyFox143

Standard Member
I have just bought a Technotrend S2-3650 (DVB-S/DVB-S2 Receiver and Common Interface combined in one device) and I want to get it working with Windows Media Centre (MCE) on windows vista (home) 32bit?

Media centre won't tune this receiver - it just says 'this tuner is not compatible, please update driver'.

Does anyone know if it is possible to get this tuner working with media centre?

Is there a software/driver update available for this tuner?

muddyFox143

Standard Member
Thanks, but there is no update for the Technotrend S2-3650 on that page.

I have contacted Technotrend to ask their advice,

Thanks for your help :thumbsup:

nigelbb

Distinguished Member
The UDR does not support CI & CAM.

You would be advised to first get this working outside of Media Center with Technotrend's own TT Media Center to confirm that all is working with the hardware.

The S2-3650 has only just come to the market & Technotrend have been very poor with their fixing of problems with their DVB-S products in Media Center even though they were the first to come to market with drivers that worked in MCE 2005.

You might like to pop over to the Media Center forum where there is a massive sticky thread on the subject of DVB-S & in particular Sky in Media Center both MCE 2005 & Vista. My recommendation for foolproof operation is to buy a FloppyDTV/FireDTV device which works perfectly both in & out of Media Center & has great support from the manufacturer.

muddyFox143

Standard Member
You would be advised to first get this working outside of Media Center with Technotrend's own TT Media Center to confirm that all is working with the hardware.
Yes - It all works (I can get all Sky encrypted channels) in TT's own media center that ships with the receiver - I'm using a T-Rex CAM.

(I have also noticed that even though the MCE scan shows 0 services found, a few channels show up in SETTINGS >> TV >> GUIDE >> EDIT CHANNELS and you have the option to select the ones you want to save. I have tried selecting all and saving, but MCE still does not make them available...)

Ho Hum...:suicide:

nigelbb

Distinguished Member
It looks like there is a newer version of the UDR available dated 27/07/07 here http://www.reycom-mediacenter.ch/rm...reycom-mediacenter.ch/rmcdownload_mc.asp#Soft

I haven't ever installed the UDR as AFAIK it doesn't support CI & CAM. I also cannot find any documentation as to how you configure it. As it was developed in Germany I am sure that by default it is setup for the German channels on 19.2E. I assume that it works like the other solutions from Hauppauge, Technotrend & FireDTV in that the driver pretends to Media Center that it is a DVB-T device. There has to be some way of mapping the satellite transponder DVB-S frequencies to the DVB-T frequencies. Another potential gotcha here is that in Germany the first dozen or so DVB-T frequencies are VHF whereas in the UK only UHF frequencies are used thus if by any DVB-S transponders are mapped to these VHF frequencies then they will be ignored in a channel scan if the region of the Media Center system is the UK. The lowest DVB-T frequency in the UK is 473.833MHz.

TBH if you bought this device because your supplier told you that it would work in Vista Media Center then I would return it for a refund & instead buy the new FloppyDTV-S2 device reviewed here http://www.digitalt.tv/eu/article.aspx?ArticleID=1 & available direct from the manufacturer http://www.digital-everywhere.com

muddyFox143

Standard Member
Thanks Nigel. I have installed Universal DVB from the link you posted (Universal DVB Receiver v1.0.0.8 Build 0.7.2.4) and I have run the configuration (found in program files/universal DVB Receiver /configuration - afer install) and selected Astra 28.2 - Windows Media Centre recognises the TT DVB-S reciever and scans for services, but gets no channels. (0 services)

I think this is because the "channelAddIn" application that ships with Universal DVB (found in program files/universal DVB Receiver /ChannelAddIn - afer install - run the install.bat file) is unable to load... (I get an error during the config - (when I set 28.2) that "channelAddIn" is unable to load.) --And I think it is unable to load because the installation is prevented from writing to c:/windows/ehome

The folder c:/windows/ehome is read only and I cannot seem to edit the read only setting... (or any of the folders permission settings...)

I have tried manually copying the required dll files to c:/windows/ehome, but this did not work.

Does anybody have any ideas on how to solve this?

Also...

Can anyone confirm that FloppyDTV/FireDTV device supports Sky HD - I'm about ready to give up on Technotrend!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month
Top Bottom