Technophobe ... Freeview & DVD-R or Freview Recorder ??

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by AdamBrunt, Dec 29, 2006.

1. AdamBrunt

AdamBrunt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi all,

My technophobe aunt is at it again.

At the moment I have a Panny DVD Recorder (bought months ago) in my spare room (unopened) waiting to be installed at her flat.

She has since moved flat and now, for the first time, can get Freeview. And has asked me to source a Freeview box for her.

What do people think is my best option in terms of usability for a relatively technophobic user ... keep the Panny and get a seperate Freeview box ? Or sell the Panny and get a Topfield/Humax Freeview recorder (ie the Freeview equivalent of Sky+) ?

If the former (Freeview box) - any recommendations for the best one around at the moment ? Only real requirement would be 2 SCARTS to connect to the LCD panel and DVD recorder.

If the later - does a twin tuner Topfield/Humax need two 'feeds' from the aerial ? If so, how is this achieved ?

TIA for any help.

Regards,

Adam Brunt

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    I would (and did) go for the one box solution, the integrated tuners/recorder and epg on Freeview DVR's are by and large a joy to use.
    Never used the Toppy but my Humax 9200 has been very good over the last year or so and I assume the Toppy like the Humax would take a single aerial feed and split it internally.

3. AdamBrunt

AdamBrunt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for the reply.

Just seen on the Topfield website that the PVR do indeed, split the feed internally. I assume the same is true for the Humax as well.

But this surely needs there is a requirement for a very good 'initial' signal ??

4. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,552
    The signal is amplified internally by the tuners.

5. AdamBrunt

AdamBrunt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for the help people.

I am now beginning to think that getting a Topfield/Humax would be the better way to go - and with a PVR I don't think my aunt is going to need a DVD recorder as well (just a DVD player).

So is there a machine which has (a) twin digital tuner (b) HDD recording and (c) DVD playback functionality ??

Or should I just get the Humax 9200 with a seperate cheap DVD player and, hopefully, loop the DVD RGB output through the Humax ??

6. Richard46

Richard46

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    'fraid not; you will need a separate DVD player; but if you daisy chain the player through the PVR to the TV you will hopefully be able to get autoswitch when a DVD is played and vice versa. Is it worth considering a universal remote to simplify use of the 2 boxes for your Aunt.

Richard

7. AdamBrunt

AdamBrunt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks Richard.

I thought that would be the case :(

As for the universal remote ... I hadn't thought about it, but it's a good idea.