Technomate 7102, Are there any skins?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by mike9a, Aug 6, 2013.

1. mike9a

mike9a
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi ,
    I own a technomate 7102 satelite receiver, and was wondering as the menus and appearance is a bit old fashioned and a bit pants, does anyone know if there are any other skins available to download and apply, or is there any way I can change the appearance of what I see.
    many thanks in advance
    Mike

2. Blu4KHD

Blu4KHD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +427
    Afraid not sorry the 5402,6902,7102 are part of the Technomate Closed Source range of receivers which means no 3rd party development only there own, You should maybe have looked at the Enigma2 range of receivers which do precisely what you wnat

3. mike9a

mike9a
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for letting me know, I guess hindsight is a wonderful thing, never min i'm sure I can live with it, unlike TV's when I bought the sat receiver there didn't seem to be too much help out there. Wish i'd joined this forum sooner
    thanks again Mike

4. pedro2000uk

pedro2000uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,079
    It isn't anything like that straight foreword... the TM menus could do with a face lift but it's very much swings & roundabouts on features & use & all about what you are willing to lose & gain for what features- definitely not just skins.

You can get plenty of receivers with 'let me guess'... black or charcoal grey background menus with white or light grey- pseudo silver text?... but they wont have the fast/ slick intuitive in use & on board editing software or motor control of the non Linux Technomates ... you will lose all that to software that isn't anything like as good at that & that you already probably take for granted ... until you use something else that ain't anything like as slick & intuitive as a Technomate & give up & just end up downloading someone else's channel list that not only isn't made for your tastes or even the UK for that matter but you end up with satellite positions & channels for someone in Cairo and join the daily grapple with the very not so intuitive menu structure & channel / satellite structure ... but you got your grey menus.

Enigma 2 & the 3rd party images should be the bee's knees... but they ain't -the reason is not the images by Vix / Blackhole etc.. but even they should admit it's ... Enigma 2's menu & channel/ satellite & motor control structure itself which is not re-written in new images but is set in machine code stone & the Linux images sit over it.

E2 was originally written by Dream Media & that most Linux have adopted but it was never designed that well structurally or intuitively wise & has never been ideal as a basis- it's just one programmer's or company's design that they should have spent more time finishing off (bit of Déjà vu re: IBM PCs & Microsoft in the early days :facepalm:).

The TM7102 is a powerful machine & will beat E2 receivers in many areas but IMO you might have been better at that really not cheap price tag to opt for the TM5402HD & a Linux E2 receiver combo - the TM5402HD does so much the E2 receivers can't or struggle to do so easily & the E2 receivers can do so much the TM5402HD can't in mostly the non satellite areas.

5. mike9a

mike9a
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you for the info, it does work well and I really only got it for when my partners mum comes to visit, it works well with the motorised dish, the only down side is I have to watch free to air Russian TV, and not speaking much Russian it can get a bit tedious, still keeps her mum happy!
    One other question as you seem so knowledgeable , is it worth updating the software as there was an update on the technomate website, or best leave well alone.
    thanks in advance
    Mike

6. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,766
    It'll only take a couple of minutes so you might as well download it.

7. pedro2000uk

pedro2000uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,079
    most put phantompatches on these boxes HERE - they have extra features & improvements & a good up to date channel list