Technomate 6800

bogart99

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Can one record say BBC HD and at the same time watch ITV HD?
I know it's a single tuner model but have heard it is possible as they are both on the same transponder.
Thanks

Astra 2D (28.2E) - 10832.00 H - Txp: 49 - Beam: Astra 2D DVB-S (QPSK) - 22000 5/6 (34.9 Mbps) - NID:2 - TID:2049
Name Country Category Packages Encryption(s) SID VPID Audio PMT PCR TXT Last updated
ITV HD United Kingdom General Freesat Clear 10000 2362 2363 eng
2369 288 2362 2010-04-01 +

Astra 2D (28.2E) - 10847.00 V - Txp: 50 - Beam: Astra 2D DVB-S (QPSK) - 22000 5/6 (34.7 Mbps) - NID:2 - TID:2050
Name Country Category Packages Encryption(s) SID VPID Audio PMT PCR TXT Last updated
BBC HD United Kingdom General Freesat Sky Digital Clear 6940 5500 5501 eng
5502 eng 258 5500 5503 2010-03-07 +

Last edited:
One last question, I promise. Had Technomate before and was very happy with it. Am wondering if it's worth getting the TM6800 Super+ one . All I can see it has over the base model is a front USB socket and the capability of scanning everything automatically. As this costs around £60 more does it warrant it?

That's OK and thanks are due to KingOfSat web site for the details.
A rear-mounted USB would be a big advantage for me, but it's not worth anywhere near £60, and I don't think any of the other "improvements" are worth it either.

Bought a 6800HD and very pleased with it indeed.
My next purchase was to be a HDD.
I have just read a post on here that states any HDD must be unpowered ie get power from the 6800 itself.
Is this true? If so it limits my choice. Any suggestionsa s to a proven suitable HDD would be appreciated.
Thanks

Definitely not true. I don't know how the Techno COULD power a drive.
Just shop around the computer stores and get whatever 500gB drive in enclosure is cheapest. I used to do that but now use a dock and put in it whatever drive I happen to have around at the time.

Reading the Technomate info it does in fact recommend a USB powered drive. Apparently some independently powered drives do not work. On that basis I bought a Seagate Expansions 500GB USB powered drive and it works great.
Mind you I am now getting it in the neck because the Technomate appears to be missing Channel 4:D

There is very little official information about ANY aspect of the Techno. Where did you see that?
A report on the Seagate says: "Power Source..Included AC adapter Power Device..Power adapter". Can it be powered by either means? I currently have four different externally powered drives, and an externally powered dock, that all work normally with the 6800.
C4 HD requires a viewing card.
The standard version should be OK.

Last edited:
Apologies for late reply I have been away. I am damned if I can find the info again. I'm not cracking up and did def see technomate info re the external HDD. As the USB socket is capable of providing 500mA this should be more than enough.
So far very happy with receiver and HDD. HD pics look very nice especially those on LUXE TV

Last edited:
OK - good to hear it's working well.
We can take it that it takes either self-powered or USB-powered drives.
So, what HD channels are you getting now - BBC, ITV, and Luxe?
btw: I should have done this before - moved to general satellite as the Techno isn't Freesat.

Last edited:
Yes BBC and ITV . As you will be aware ITV have another feed listed as 10510 not sure its reason as it shows just the same.
Also get 3 HD channels on 19.2deg. Suits my wife as she speaks german.

Regards

Good to hear mate!:smashin:

Thanks. One other item of note I was wondering about is the transmission values. UK aimed sat uses 1080i and the europeans 720p. Was just wondering if there is a reason. I believe 720p may be an advantage with fast action and assume has a somewhat higher bandwidth than 1080i.

All that is left now is to persuade the boss we need a much bigger TV

Thanks. One other item of note I was wondering about is the transmission values. UK aimed sat uses 1080i and the europeans 720p. Was just wondering if there is a reason. I believe 720p may be an advantage with fast action and assume has a somewhat higher bandwidth than 1080i.

All that is left now is to persuade the boss we need a much bigger TV

I disagree mate (As do alot of German's who have started a petition for their broadcasts to be changed to 1080i!), The HD version of Eurosport on 13E is some of the best I have seen mate.;)

ITV have another feed listed as 10510 not sure its reason as it shows just the same.
Also get 3 HD channels on 19.2deg.
There are three or four ITV versions, including one that's specifically STV.
You didn't say about having other satellites or I'd have mentioned the German and Austrian HDs on 19E - Anixe, Arte, Eins Festival, Das Erste, Servus, ZDF.

I disagree mate (As do alot of German's who have started a petition for their broadcasts to be changed to 1080i!), The HD version of Eurosport on 13E is some of the best I have seen mate.;)

I believe I am correct in saying its not just the definition that makes a good signal its the bit rate too. Now I may be wrong, not an unkown happening, but I thought 720p was better than 1080i if using the same bitrate. Done it now I'll be shot down in flames in the morning:D

I believe I am correct in saying its not just the definition that makes a good signal its the bit rate too. Now I may be wrong, not an unkown happening, but I thought 720p was better than 1080i if using the same bitrate. Done it now I'll be shot down in flames in the morning:D

No, it's very good point & a major issue - and one that effects all HD quality measures (& SD)- it's not the only measure but has to be included when trying to compare one HD against another regardless of 720p v 1080i... ... 720p @ 20MBs or 1080i @ 5MBs?

Any HD channel's bit rate isn't enough - do the sums (screen res x colour res x frame rate over bit rates & x today's processor speeds) .... it can't handle it unless it's a still picture for more than so many frames allowing more of the full image to build up & then that's more like a still camera except any cheap still camera can beat HD by a mile- but cheaper ones usually drop colour res as do some HD processes to save dosh -.... once it's moving .. HD is all gone anyway - no one broadcasts full motion HD and it's the higher bit rates that at least help there.

Other issues are the quality of the broadcast gear that is used at every stage - cameras/ studio/ final compression for broadcast.... then your gear.

Last edited:
I think the make has a lot to do with it. I've read of people who habe no end of trouble and others who experience no trouble at all. Thats the main reason I plumped for the USB powered version which to date hasn't missed a beat.

The make - you mean of HDD enclosure?
I have Iomega, Fujitsu,Toshiba, and generic ones from EBuyer, and a generic dock, all fine with their power sources, but I understand the convenience of USB power.

No I was meaning the make of HDD. Reading the threads some people seem to have problems with one make or another but with me touch wood so far all ok.

Ah, I see. I just go for whatever 500gB is currently at the lowest price and they've all been fine.

Don't really see why there should be problems some drives and not others. Maybe it's the operators who are at fault. Any both you and myself seem ok so that's what counts.
And to repeat myself I am very pleased with the Technomate, and so is my wife, not a bad buy for £135

Good to hear it and you did very well - enviously so - with that price!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom